i just bought an emg 81 to intstall in my ibanez rg2ex1 and i cant get it to work properly even though i followed every instruction. i can get it to work only when i disconect the wire from the volume to the pickup selector and touching the hot lead from the pick up to the white wire the leads to the output jack.

but when using the volume knob all the way on it sorta works and lowering it the tone knob doesnt work anymore. the instructions say to solder the metal braid thats wraps around the hot lead from the pickup to the volume and a wire to the pick up selector which i did and it doesnt work.

i used emg 81 ones before and it sounded louder and better i feel like im not getting the full potental of it. so anyone can spot what im doing wrong and what i can do it would help a lot.

oh and when i play it on full volume on my line 6 it cuts off and only works when you roll off the volume. it seems to only work full volume on my crate blue voodoo halfstack.. whats going on??
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
i used 3 different batterys not the problem all new
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
Make a diagram or take a picture of your wiring. Did you put the pickup in line with a passive?
Signatures are overrated.
Check your battery connector. Some 9V connectors shred apart inside.

Try wiring the hot output directly to the jack tip, the braid to the jack sleeve, and the battery negative to the jack sleeve.

Check for any potential breaks in the wires coming from the pickups.
Quote by crackereast
did you use the 25k pots,and stereo jack

EMGs will work pretty much fine with 250k or 500k pots, and mono jacks. Those won't stop them working.

The stereo socket is just to cut the battery connection when a mono jack isn't in the guitar, so that your battery doesn't drain overnight.