Im looking for a new acoustic (but i didnt want to hijack dopeman's thread about this guitar, as he changed the subject a little and hasnt been answered yet) I have about £400 to spend, but it has to be from soundcontrol as i have store credit. Im looking at a Taylor 100, but was wondering whether it was worth the price over some of the other guitars available such as Yamahas and epiphones.

I know Taylor guitars are supposed to be fantastic, but this is a budget range, and my recent experience with the Takamine budget EG range puts me of buying for the name on the head (guitar started to fall apart for no reason, the guy at soundcontrol says it is a rubbish range of guitars in terms of reliability)

The other guitars available to me are the Epiphone Dove, Yamaha FG750S, Yamaha FGX720SC, Yamaha LL6 and the Alvarez MD80

I am going to go try them, but most acoustics sound sweet to me... im not asking which is the best sounding, i can work that out for myself, i want to know which is the most reliable/ most value for money. I want a guitar that will be with me for a while and not fall apart like my takamine. Is the Taylor the best crafted out of that bunch?

Thanks
Alvarez acoustics are some of the best acoustic's I've played.
Most people here go crazy over them, they are FANTASTIC.
Then again, you really can't go wrong with pretty much any Yamaha acoustic, all great.
I've never played the Epiphone Dove or the Taylor 110.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
cheers for your opinions

if it helps, my store credit is around £220 but they said i could get a £300 acoustic for no extra cost, so i would get the epi for free, the yamaha FG750S is £250 so i would get it for free but nothing else - the other yamaha is £280, same principle. The Yamaha LL6 and the Alvarez are £380, so they would cost me £80, and the Taylor is £400 so it would cost me £100

with these prices in mind, which guitar is best? (i dont mind paying for the taylor, but not if it is unreliable)
Avarez, at that price for a Taylor, your hardly getting the best they can offer.
But like I said, I've never played it.

You should check out some reviews on there & Harmony Central, those could give you a better piece of mind to buying it.

Edit:
Soundcontrol Newcastle?
Apparently they're all shutting down, I'd be a nosey **** and ask the staff about it and when it's happening, they'll be grabbing for money on the last day.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
The Alvarez is in a completely different league to the Yamaha FG Series (good guitars, but different market segment). The epiphone Dove I would place in a similar category as the Yamaha's. And I'm personally not that fond of the Dove or Hummingbird. IMO the Yamaha's are better for the price. However, I have never seen nor heard the Yamaha LL6.

Also, the Taylor is pretty substandard for what your paying. Your just getting the name on the headstock. Stay away.

I'd go for the Alvarez personally, but make sure you have a good play of everything to see for yourself.
i would not buy a 100 series taylor. not because it's a bad guitar, but because you pay more than it's really worth. if i could fine one used and for a good price, then i would consider buying it.

right now, i think your best choice is the alvarez.
If the Alvarez is seriously in the same price range as those other guitars it is absolutely the best choice. Where I live the Yammy's and even the Epiphones are half the price of the Alvarez.
You cannot beat that Alvarez guitar imo. It beats the pants off of all of the other options. They are made extremely well, and that particular model is all solid woods while I don't believe any of the other options are.

I stay away from any Taylors under the GS or the 300 series, they are not worth the price tag.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
contrary to poular beleif around here that taylor is most likely built like a tank. Unless it is a brand new 2008 taylor 100 series it was made on the same line by the same people who put together the 300-900 series taylors. they get a somewhat simpler form of the patented taylor nt neck and have a slightly arched back so they are quite comfortable and loud. they are set up at the factory with proper neck angle and 3 32 low e action. You will not find any plastic shims under the nut or saddle nice ebony fretboard and bridge and a solid spruce top with spruce bracing. nothing on the guitar is not of quality even the tuners are quite nice.
if you like taylor tone it is the cheapest way to get it and it will definitly last a lifetime if even semi-cared for deffinitly try it out if you like it and want a guitar that will last consider it if you dont like the sound then oh well no worries.

"substandard yeah thats funny"
^ I know you own one, and I know you like your guitar. But I think you miss the point of what we are saying...some of these other guitars have better features for less money than the Taylors at that level, and their build quality can be quite good as well. I have the next level up in the Alvarez MD series from the guitar he has listed here, and its sounding better and better and has taken abuse well from gigs. I've had it for four years now, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Bottom line: If you don't mind spending the extra money for the Taylor name, go for it. But the reason why the "popular belief" around here is that the Taylors aren't "quality" is that there are often better deals to be had when talking about guitars in this price range.

Gear:
Quote by roamingbard13
Bottom line: If you don't mind spending the extra money for the Taylor name, go for it. But the reason why the "popular belief" around here is that the Taylors aren't "quality" is that there are often better deals to be had when talking about guitars in this price range.

This right here is exactly why.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Avarez, at that price for a Taylor, your hardly getting the best they can offer.
But like I said, I've never played it.

You should check out some reviews on there & Harmony Central, those could give you a better piece of mind to buying it.

Edit:
Soundcontrol Newcastle?
Apparently they're all shutting down, I'd be a nosey **** and ask the staff about it and when it's happening, they'll be grabbing for money on the last day.

Soundcontrol Stockon - they told me they had been given 6 weeks to sell stuff. Shame, i like the staff there.

Well that seems to be a resounding win for the Alvarez.... i had never heard of them to be honest!! Ill check the Taylors date and try them both, but it seems like the alvarez is the best for the money. Ill check Harmony Central aswell. all of your input has been really helpful, thanks!!
^ I haven't heard of them much in the UK tbh. But if you search our forums, you'll see plenty of us happy with their guitars.

Gear:
good luck with whatever you choose to get there all decent guitars and should server you for a while haggle for freebies or severley discounted items picks strings maybe a case you get the drift.
i want to say that yamaha LL6 is also an all solid-wood guitar. if it is the model i'm thinking of, i have played it and would recommend it along with the alvarez. out of the guitars you've listed the alvarez and the yamaha LL6 (if it's the model i think it is) are by far the best values.

to prs... it's like jon said... no one is claiming that the taylor 100 series aren't just fine guitars. it's just that they cost around $100 more than a similar guitar from other reputable manufacturers. taylor makes damn fine guitars... but they don't make budget guitars. even their "budget line" are pricey in comparison.
Quote by jimtaka
i want to say that yamaha LL6 is also an all solid-wood guitar. if it is the model i'm thinking of, i have played it and would recommend it along with the alvarez. out of the guitars you've listed the alvarez and the yamaha LL6 (if it's the model i think it is) are by far the best values.

to prs... it's like jon said... no one is claiming that the taylor 100 series aren't just fine guitars. it's just that they cost around $100 more than a similar guitar from other reputable manufacturers. taylor makes damn fine guitars... but they don't make budget guitars. even their "budget line" are pricey in comparison.

There is only a £20 difference between the Alvarez and the Taylor - say for a second that they are the same price (might as well be), which would you get?
Alvarez hands down. That Alvarez has solid mahogany back and sides while the Taylor has laminated sapele back and sides. All of the other appointments are essentially the same. The Alvarez is just the nicer guitar between the two. The absolute most important thing is which one you think sounds better and is more comfortable though. Either guitar should last you a lifetime.

This question kind of brings my whole point to light:

That Alvarez is from their Masterworks line. This is the second best line of guitars that Alvarez makes. They are fantastic instruments.

That Taylor is from their 100 series. This is the second "worst" line of guitars that Taylor makes. It's a great beginner guitar.

And yet the Taylor is still more expensive. Why? Because it says Taylor on the headstock
that is a good point. obviously i know it goes on how it sounds... but i just wanted to get some opinions first, more on the quality of construction and materials than the sound itself (which you answered, thanks )

providing i like the sound (im not fussy on acoustic sounds, i like them bright or warm...) i will get the alvarez, but if they dont have one i think ill settle for the taylor (they cant order guitars in as they are in administration, and they definately have the taylor in stock, so hopefully they will have the alvarez too)

what kind of sound is the alvarez? (if you know) is it a bright acoustic or a warmer sounding one?
not to be a prude or anything but i am pretty sure the original posters question was about reliability and i only offered my opinion because i own one. i generally dont get into the whole my guitars better than yours discusion for just this reason. as i stated if you like the tone of the taylor guitar line then the 110 is the cheapest way to get it. i mearly pointed out the strong points as i see them. yes it is expensive but it comes with a lifetime warranty so you have to consider upfront cost versus long term gain and for some people 100 dollars is a lot of money and to others it is a drop in the bucket it all depends on your budget and how much you have been blessed.

i never recommend to anyone to "buy a taylor" because its the only guitar that is good because we all now its not and i only reserve my comments to those that mention that they are looking into those guitars as a alternative.
this is not a contest i merely offerd my opinion as did yall i dont see why this is a big deal yall would think i told someone to get an estaban for all the strong opinoins that come out when you say a sub 300 series taylor is an option to be considered.

regardless good luck to the original poster in finding the guitar that begs you to take it home whether it is a alverez, taylor, or even an estaban(yikes). let your ears and hands and eyes be the judge.

By the way if you do decide on the all solid wood guitar i must recommend a hydrometer and humidifier setup to insure it is in tip top shape at all times Solid wood while known to improve tone with age can be finicky when the humidity changes from season to season.
also be sure to keep us informed and post pics as soon as you can i love looking at all the pretty guitars i can.
does the taylor 110 have a lifetime warranty in the UK? I cant find anything about it, i can only find the warranty info for the US and Canada, and it states that he rest of the world is different
buddy it may be different i would go to taylors website and call there number and ask them personally i dont know the awnser so i cant awnser you sorry or just e mail them they will get back to you quickly.
i don't think anyone thinks it's a big deal, anita.

i actually said that the taylor will last you a lifetime also.

slash: i wouldn't really describe the MD80s that i have played as characteristically bright or warm. the MD80 is kind of in the middle. the taylor 110 in my experience is a bright sounding guitar.
Quote by anita prs bad
buddy it may be different i would go to taylors website and call there number and ask them personally i dont know the awnser so i cant awnser you sorry or just e mail them they will get back to you quickly.

no worries, ill just ask the people in the shop tomorrow

cant wait to try them both. ive just come home to my replacement takamine EG320SC (mine broke so they sent me a new one) and it was on worse condition than the one i sent off the get fixed.... such a terrible range of guitars. no wonder sound control offered to swap it for another!!
^-- just curious but what is wrong with the takamine you sent back? and what is wrong with the replacement? takamine has pretty good build quality in the G series usually.
the takamine i sent back began to split down the middle from the strap pin to the bridge (hadnt been in any extreme condition, so it was bizarre) - also, the 13th and 14th frets on the high E-string played the same note and the 10th fret buzzed on the high E

the replacement (which i just got today as i just got home from uni, but i knew i didnt trust the EG320SC anymore so i knew i was going to replace it) which was supposedly brand new came to me with buzz on about 5 frets, and the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th frets on the E-string play the same note as each other, the 14th, 13th, 12th 11th and 10th on B play the same note as each other, and the 13th 12th and 11th on G play the same note as each other. Also, the guitar was dirty and smelt like a christmas tree haha. And it also had chips in it on the front and back of the body. Pretty unacceptable for a "Brand New" replacement.

The guy in soundcontrol said I wouldnt believe how many issues they have with the EG series (particularly the low end ones) - im sure 9 out of 10 of them are fine but ive had 2 of them now and both have been bad. I have been put off the EG series and probably Takamine for good. (I didnt rate Takamines customer service very well either)
i've never really liked taylors much but overall they are good quality guitars (haven't played a 100 though).

i agree with alvarez's being good. I've played them and they are my favorite non-domestic guitar brand.

i've never played an epi dove but i have the gibson version and i think it's amazing so if the epi is even half as good as the gibson it's a good buy.

i recommend trying all of them and choosing which one you like best. if you can't, a good way to get an idea how they sound is to youtube search them.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany "Fervor"
Gibson Dove Acoustic - Electric Modern Classic "Bri"
Roland Micro Cube

"Music Is about playing what you love and what you want to hear, because noone else will play it for you."
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
the takamine i sent back began to split down the middle from the strap pin to the bridge (hadnt been in any extreme condition, so it was bizarre) - also, the 13th and 14th frets on the high E-string played the same note and the 10th fret buzzed on the high E

the replacement (which i just got today as i just got home from uni, but i knew i didnt trust the EG320SC anymore so i knew i was going to replace it) which was supposedly brand new came to me with buzz on about 5 frets, and the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th frets on the E-string play the same note as each other, the 14th, 13th, 12th 11th and 10th on B play the same note as each other, and the 13th 12th and 11th on G play the same note as each other. Also, the guitar was dirty and smelt like a christmas tree haha. And it also had chips in it on the front and back of the body. Pretty unacceptable for a "Brand New" replacement.

The guy in soundcontrol said I wouldnt believe how many issues they have with the EG series (particularly the low end ones) - im sure 9 out of 10 of them are fine but ive had 2 of them now and both have been bad. I have been put off the EG series and probably Takamine for good. (I didnt rate Takamines customer service very well either)

Wow! I've only heard good about them before and the ones I have played have all been good. But that sounds like an Ibanez story.
haha an ibanez story... its pretty gutting to be honest, that guitar was my 18th birthday present and now do i not only not even have it anymore, its replacement is hopeless too

cheers harmonicchaos, thats a good idea - im going to play them tomorrow and decide, i just thought id get peoples opinions first as I dont want to get another guitar that falls apart after a year
are martin DX1's any good? are they worth the £70 more than the Alvarez costs and £50 that the Taylor costs or is it like some say with the Taylor that you pay for the name?

This is providing my soundcontrol has these guitars in stock tomorrow morning!!
the martin dx1 is kind of a whole different story. i would still strongly prefer the alvarez md80 over a martin dx1 or a taylor 110. the martin dx1 is absolutely not worth any amount more than an alvarez md80. the dx1 has HPL sides and back which is this stuff only martin uses in their low end guitars. it's not even wood at all. the dx1s that i have played do usually sound pretty darn good, but i'm just not a fan of the materials used in construction. some people run into issues with them falling apart if they aren't kept in ideal conditions also. if you can keep the guitar in a humidity controlled environment, it is an option worth trying though.

i would personally rate both the alvarez md80 and taylor 110 above the martin dx1 in reliability and craftsmanship. and i would still rate the md80 far above either in value.
ok cheers jimtaka you have been very helpful - i will take everything said onboard when i go to soundcontrol.... which is in about 20 mins!

I let everyone know what I chose (maybe with pictures!!) and explain in as much detail and possible why I chose it in the hope someone else finds the info useful
ok im back

it was an interesting shopping trip!! they didnt have the Alvarez MD80 in stock, so they guy gave me a MD160 or something to try... sounded great! he also pulled out a Taylor 110, 114 (i think) and a 210, a few yamahas and another Alvarez.

anyway the nicest sounding and feeling to me were the Taylors (the Alvarez MD160 had a queer neck) but i knew i shouldnt get the 210 as it was £600

but i did anyway, it just sounded and felt nicer than the 110, it was the exact tone i was looking for, its nice to look at, has a lifetime warranty and came with a hardcase (unlike the 110)... ill put pics up later. Its hard to describe but I could hear the £200 difference and it sounded worth it
every one loves a new guitar what year of production is the 200 series.
congrats sorry i got so worked up hehe enjoy your new guitar
It is a 2007 210 it plays amazingly, sounds fantastic. Here are some photos (im not particularly good with cameras)

I am in the same delimina too, but I must throw out there the Yamaha LL6 is just a solid top, the backs and sides are laminate. I have been debating whether to get the Yamaha or Seagull s6 slim as well, but i did not think of Alvarez until now.