ok I'm thinking of replacing the pickup myself. I read the guides on here and it doesn't look all that difficult. Still, it's my first time doing this. I wonder what should I look out for? Is it really that easy as the guides tell me?
Fapping is considered as strumming training
Last edited by Tsen at May 8, 2008,
yeah if you can solder and turn a screwdriver, itll be fine.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
i changed mine in my lp and the only problem i had was trying to solder in the tight space, plus i had never soldered anything before, would cutting the wire from the old pickups and joining the wire on the new pickups onto the wire from the old pickups work just as well as soldering the wire from the new pickup onto the pots? this would save fannying about inside the guitar for a novice?
what type of guitar?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/installing-pick/

that video should give you an idea.
and remember that every company colors their wires differently.

so duncan wires are different colors as compared to dimarzio.

so just be sure to pay attention to the instructions that come with the pickup you buy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by scottish nutter
i changed mine in my lp and the only problem i had was trying to solder in the tight space, plus i had never soldered anything before, would cutting the wire from the old pickups and joining the wire on the new pickups onto the wire from the old pickups work just as well as soldering the wire from the new pickup onto the pots? this would save fannying about inside the guitar for a novice?

always best to desolder the old wire, then solder the new one.

if the new wire is short for some reason, then you can add to the wire, but that's usually only the case when dealing with used pickups.

also, again, you'll probably be dealing with different colors than you expect, unless you use the same brand. so mixing wire colors could get a little foggy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
+1 - yes the colors are different and i learned the hard way. my new SD HB took 7 solder joints total.

if you do decide to do this yourself you would be well served to practice on something else of similar wire gauge and solder onto a piece of metal you can throw out.

the duncan example jj posted is pretty good and there are others on youtube and such too.

;