hi
can someone clarify them and their exact diffrence
i do not get it the lessons about theory i am studying here and the scales and modes that we have are they diatonic form or chromatic form?
and in today music which form wew are using more?
scales are diatonic, if i remember rightly diatonic is where you use 7 notes, they cannot be the same and you cannot reuse notes (unless i am thinking of enharmonic).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Diatonic refers to music using notes of the major and minor scale (to put it very simply).
Chromatic refers to accidentals and variations of the scale(s) used in music (once again simplified).
Chromatic moves all the way through every note.

A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb... and so on.

Diatonic uses only one of every letter note, so in Bb major, rather than it being A# C D D# F G A A# would be Bb C D Eb F G A Bb
TS, are you referring to diatonic harmony in actual music, or diatonic scales in a purely theoretical way? It's a pretty broad subject.
Quote by dimebag1d
hi
can someone clarify them and their exact diffrence
i do not get it the lessons about theory i am studying here and the scales and modes that we have are they diatonic form or chromatic form?
and in today music which form wew are using more?

-Diatonic is a scale with seven notes, these include the majorscale, minorscale and all the modes.

A chromatic scale contains all of the notes (twelve notes).

As for todays music's use of them; I don't know.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Quote by Der Bomber
-Diatonic is a scale with seven notes, these include the majorscale, minorscale and all the modes.

A chromatic scale contains all the notes.

As for todays music's use of them; I don't know.

Baroque and classical music is typically diatonic, but as the Romantic and Modern eras progressed chromaticism became more popular. In terms of really modern music ie metal, chromatic harmony is increasingly prevalent. Pop and more mainstream music will be more diantonic, and blues or jazz will be more chromatic.
thanks for info
so what is the use of chromatic?
do we have chromatic scale as in we have in diatonic ? like c major , d dorian and etc..
and if we do not how to use chromatic scales in song writing ?
is there any triads for creating progression in chromatic scale?
Chromatic means every note. So the chromatic scale is simply using every note that exists in music.

To use the chromatic scale in song-writing, you use your ears, and decide whether a particular note would sound good in a certain place or not.
sig goes here
Diatonic means 'relating to the key'
Chromatic means 'not belonging to the key'

So in the key of C major. These notes are diatonic CDEFGAB.
These notes are chromatic C# D# F# and so on.

Eg a diatonic chord would be Fmaj7
and a chromatic chord would be, for simplicity lets use a power chord such as D#5.
Last edited by mdc at May 8, 2008,
As for using them, basic Jazz theory will tell you that you should hit a root, 3rd or 7th at the one beat. In between it's up to you.

Diatonic means using chord tones or scale tones, chromatic means basically hitting everything in between.

Either way, if you are headed for a C chord, you might end your run at C or G or E or possibly Bb.

I think of music as a skeleton, and what goes between the bones is up to you.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

its clearer now thanks
and how about pentatonic ?
does it again fall into diatonic scales?
or it is totally separate thing ?
Quote by dimebag1d
its clearer now thanks
and how about pentatonic ?
does it again fall into diatonic scales?
or it is totally separate thing ?

pentatonic is a 5 note scale
major being the intervals 1 2 3 5 6
minor being the intervals - 1 b3 4 5 b7

it has nothing to do with diatonic because diatonic has to have 7 notes

pentatonic, pent which is implying 5 has 5 notes in the scale

but are both part of the major and minor scale(sorta) just with 2 intervals removed

so there not completely seperate but you might find a little different feel with these scale than the 7 note major and minor
song stuck in my head today