hey guys,
this is my last resort since no one believes me... I have this weird as problem.. When my strings get a little bit of muck on it, it seems to throw off intonation but when i clean it the intonation goes back in. Is this possible?

PS soz if i have made any similar threads in the past

thanx, mike
no idea. Just make a habit of wiping your strings down after playing.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
well its possible that could happen, though id imagine it couldnt really be that bad....
i think you spend a little too much time on the little things.

maybe just play a little more and worry a little less.

and yes, old strings fall out of tune, so stands to reason that dirty strings would too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Also make a habit of washing your hands before you play, seriously, it helps a lot.
Quote by AndyMcDandy
"What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?"

People usually don't...
i dont think its a string problem. maybee your nut isnt lubricated well enough or theres a bridge problem
Quote by striker327
hey guys,
this is my last resort since no one believes me... I have this weird as problem.. When my strings get a little bit of muck on it, it seems to throw off intonation but when i clean it the intonation goes back in. Is this possible?

Of course it does! Anything which adds weight to the string, particularly non-reactive mass such as dirt, oil and dust will affect the strings performance and the intonation, particularly that of the plain strings. Salt from sweat and skin particles will also corrode the surface of the string changing the composition of the string's reactive mass an dirt's linear density.

I remember when I worked at Cranes in Cardiff being rung by a guy who asked me how much it would cost to have the intonation corrected on his acoustic guitar ( I think it was a Takamine Jasmine). I pointed out that it was not a simple job and that it wouldn't be cheap. "I don't care" he said "I've got to have it done it's driving me nuts!"

When he brought the guitar in I was amazed to see that the strings were totally black with corrosion. "when did you last change the strings?" I asked

"Change the strings? " he said quizically, "I didn't know you had to..."

"how old is the guitar?"

"three, maybe three and a half years"

I put a new set on and the intonation was fine.