I've been playing with EMG's in my guitars for the past 2 months now, I have an ESP EX-400 (81/81) and an ESP F-400 (81/85), I play on a Peavy ValveKing, half stack 100 watts, tube.. and use the Metal Muff pedal.

I've never had a chance to hear Dimarzio's or Seymore Duncan pickups, and was wondering if someone could give me a good contrast/comparison between the three.

I absolutelly love my EMGs but, hey who knows right? maybe I'll love Dimarzios or somthing after I hear them.

Unfortunately there is no guitar shop here, at least not one that would carry anything with pickups like that.

Which in your opinion is best for metal?
i like emgs i got 81/85 in my les paul and i have a ibanez with a duncan full shred my les paul sounds so much better its not even funny
Retubing your amp, and putting in a new speaker will get better metal results. Look around, there are great VK mods you can do that will make your amp sound ultra-beast. Those will do far more to the tone than any pickup can do
emg's are good for metal...but once i replaced the emg's in my hellraiser with the seymour duncan blackouts, i threw my emg's in another guitar and sold it...the blackout gave me a fuller, deeper and darker tone....awesome pickups
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
emg's are good for metal...but once i replaced the emg's in my hellraiser with the seymour duncan blackouts, i threw my emg's in another guitar and sold it...the blackout gave me a fuller, deeper and darker tone....awesome pickups

Yeah, Blackouts!

Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Seyour Duncans are great. I have a SH-4 model in the treble position of my RR1, and I love it now. It took some getting used to first because I was used to my 81/85 set in my Les Paul, but now I like the both the same. The SD's are just as hot as the EMGs, and I think i prefer them a little more becaue they have better dynamics, and better cleans. They definity work for metal.

I've heard alot of Dimarzios before, but I cant really give you a good description. I've heard them from guitarists at shows, and alot of them time I was far back so I didnt get to fully hear them. Randy Rhoads used a Super-Distortion in the treble and a PAF in the rhythm, so that should give you somewhat on an idea. In his Polka Dot V by the way, not his other guitars. Listen to BlizzardOfOzz, he used his PDV on most of those tracks.

Overall, the Seymour Duncans are more versatile. Better cleans, better dynamics, and usually passive (unless you buy blackouts). EMGs are also good, but it depends how versatile youre going to be.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
After reading and watching Guitar World's review on the Blackouts, I want it!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
After reading and watching Guitar World's review on the Blackouts, I want it!

in general i wouldnt trust their reviews too much (marshall MG - 9/10, the review was sponsored by: Marshall... etc) but blackouts really are good ****
that was a good review...pretty much dead on from my experience...i now have two guitars with blackouts in them...and i can actually hear a difference between the guitars...unlike when i had the emgs in them
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Blackouts and EMG with the 18V mod are pretty comparable.

Also get new tubes and some celestions for the valveking.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
What worries me is the metal muff on a tube amp. Why use it? Besides, if you absolutely love your EMG's, then why a change after only 2 months? I would keep the guitar as it is now and spend money on amps and save for a real ESP later.
What are the differences between the Blackouts and the EMGs?
Jackson USA RR1 Randy Rhoads Select Series
Morley VAI-2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Bugera 333XL - Bugera 412F BK

EINMYRIA. Just like the empire, if the empire was EINMYRIA
i heard duncan sh-6 and those were fantastic, and that's what im gonna get soon :p
passive pickups ftw!
What are Invaders like? I was considering changing my RG pups to either Blackouts, EMGs (probably 18V) or Invaders - for pretty much all metal.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Necro thread FTW.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
seymour duncan and dimarzio make all kinds of different pickups so it's really kind of ridiculous to expect people to be able to describe the differences between them and a brand like EMG, which basically have one signature sound, which is active.
Stop posting, retards. This thread is 19 months old.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Stop posting, retards. This thread is 19 months old.

who cares how old it is, if your gonna be a d-bag then don't post at all
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
emg's are the best but you need to use them @ 18 volts
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
who cares how old it is, if your gonna be a d-bag then don't post at all

Quote by TheForumRules
Bumping: Do not bump your threads. This means don't post in your own thread in order to bump it to the top of the forum list. Also, don't bump dead threads from a year ago.

Pipe down.