I've seen some things about the EMG 18 volt mod, but can someone give me a good description of exactly what it does? I've seen people say it gives more headroom, but I'm still a newb so I don't quite know what they mean by this. Also will it give more hum? And will it enhance my cleans as well as distortion or one more than the other?
I have one guitar with 81/81 and one with 81/85
Headroom is the term used to describe how loud you can go before having the signal breakup. The mod will clean up the sound some by giving it more headroom.
Quote by Kazue00
I've seen some things about the EMG 18 volt mod, but can someone give me a good description of exactly what it does? I've seen people say it gives more headroom, but I'm still a newb so I don't quite know what they mean by this. Also will it give more hum? And will it enhance my cleans as well as distortion or one more than the other?
I have one guitar with 81/81 and one with 81/85

It's like this. Headroom is the maximum voltage that the input stage of an amplifier can cope with.

If the amplitude of a signal going into the input stage of a pre-amp exceeds the headroom of the input then the signal will be "clipped" at the voltage limit. Such distortion might be desirable at the output it's less so at the input stage.

The 18v supply won't make much difference to your clean tone, but it may lead to an enhanced signal to noise ratio. It certainly won't induce hum.

Some people opt for the 18v mod because they believe that a higher supply voltage means their pickups will sound more powerful, but it doesn't actually work that way...