Is there a good way to increase trill speed? Possibly just trilling for long periods of time?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
I usually trill as fast as possible until i cant move my fingers, im not sure this is the best way but kinda work for me.
Quote by MaXiMuse
I would recommend this practice:

Just 1 time, so not 20 times.
|-5h6p5-5h7p5-5h8p5-5h9p5-| (Or isn`t this trill)

And just as fast as you can.
When your speed has increased you can also do each twice, or four times.

Not a trill. A trill would be:

|-5h6p5h6p5h6p5-|
Quote by fixationdarknes
The answer to half of the questions asked in this forum.

+1 maybe even ALL of them.

(or close to it)
do it often but in small doses of say 5 minutes, say once every half an hour so your fingers can recover. doing trill drills for too long will just make them lethargic after the first 5 minutes so wont be able to carry on anyways...its all about endurance

try setting your metronome at a speed where you dont have to tense your fingers too hard, if thats a pretty slow speed then dont feel stupid cos ur doing a slow speed at something that should be fast as you have to build the groundwork

do the trill comfortably for 15-20 seconds then have 5-10 seconds rest, then repeat 12-15 times then STOP!
Sometimes I just sit with my guitar and do trills for 10 minutes to warm up. Do that and after a few weeks, you will have gained a lot of speed as well as finger endurance.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by TheShred201
Look into oher techniques. You can get much faster going wirh some taps:
7-5-7-5
T-1-3-1
Ive never seen someone onehanded match the speed Ive seen from tapping every other high note/

Not a good suggestion; I can think of a few riffs that can't realistically be tapped like that because they need to be picked again too soon but have trills in them. You should practice trilling anyway because it's very good for your fret hand finger speed and independence over all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Actually it is a good suggestion if taken in context--I never said not to work on trilling normally. It was another idea. Discounting the idea/technique because it doesn't work sometimes is imo quite dumb to say the least. Learn everything you can, since there is a use for everything you can do on guitar.
Quote by TheShred201
Actually it is a good suggestion if taken in context--I never said not to work on trilling normally. It was another idea. Discounting the idea/technique because it doesn't work sometimes is imo quite dumb to say the least. Learn everything you can, since there is a use for everything you can do on guitar.

Very true, I just thought it sounded like you were saying "don't do that, do this instead"; pure mistake
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i just play some legato for 20 to 30 mins. warm up....
it really help me to increase speed and gain endurance