Do I need a bass-specific distortion or can I use, say a boss DS or a MT2?

Thanks
i played a distorted guitar thru a bass amp a lot, and since a bass amp is meant to handle lower frequencies, it should be fine.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I played bass in a band and also used dist. Sounded good, but when we performed I couldn`t use my friend`s Line 6. So my friend had a Behringer, a pink one. The distortion worked but when we were connecting everything for our performance it didn`t work. It worked at rehearsels, so it can also be something else. But if you have the money to buy a bass-dist. I would do it. You never know...
Don't play a bass through a guitar amp. The amp itself will take the low frequencies its the speakers that won't take it. It is also fine to run the bass through a guitar pedal its just that your lower frequencies will not be as prominent, or it will sound like ****... Just play with it. Just don't play your bass through a guitar cab pretty much.
He's asking about using a bass distortion or a guitar distortion, not playing through a guitar amp.

Using a guitar distortion on your bass will not damage your amp, it will however, damage your tone (unless you have a bi-amp setup but I doubt that). Bass specific distortion pedals are better because they let the lower frequencies pass through, using a guitar distortion cuts out these lower frequencies and the sonic space you fill in a band with the bass is compromised.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've used guitar effects for bass for years and never had problems other than guitarists arguing that they should be the only one's allowed to use toys.
You'll find that a setting that sounds good on guitar will sound like muddy mush on bass, a little tweaking is needed. It would harm your amp. A lot of guitarists like playing through a bass amp for the tone - Colin James for one. Our amps are built to take a pounding!
^However, distortions are a whole other ball game. It's not like a delay.

Threadstarter, the previous posts gave some good information, and that's all there is to the subject really. However, I'll say this in case you're one of these folks who has their mind set on doing something and is just asking the forum to hear "yes", and if they say "no" you'll say "well it's my decision so stfu, epiphone rules!":

A guitar distortion pedal might sound bloody amazing (to YOU) all alone in your bedroom through a 15W amp. A guitar distortion pedal will sound downright insulting through a larger rig in a band setting.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A guitar distortion pedal will sound downright insulting through a larger rig in a band setting.

If you crank it up the gain to max, yes. Used moderately, it can add some interesting colour and dynamics. I've used a DOD distortion and a Tube-screamer live quite a bit in the 90s - though not at the same time - and people liked my sound. You need to experiment - and not just by yourself with your little amp - to find what works and what doesn't.
Well, the vast, vast majority of guitar pedals have some form of high-pass filter. Yes, the high pass filter is more pronounced at higher gains, but it's nigh impossible to get rid of ALL the low-end reduction - and that's especially pointless considering the dozens of solid bass distortions in literally all flavours.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im just going to use it for a 10second phrase in Tool's Vicarious, so I wont go invest in a bass-pedal =)

Thanks for the help
Quote by xFilth
Im just going to use it for a 10second phrase in Tool's Vicarious, so I wont go invest in a bass-pedal =)

Thanks for the help

If your amp has an effects loop with a blend control, you're set.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Just do it, I use guitar pedals mostly for my bass. My fuzz is the only bass specific pedal on my board. I use a DS-1, and a Bad Monkey every once in a while.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
To the TS, I used a Boss DF2 pedal for about 10 or so years thru the same amp and it never killed it, kills abit of the bottom end but go high on the fretboard and stomp on the feedback can make some interesting tones (noise?)
For something cheap, the Ibanez Phat-Hed is a really good choice...it's like $50, can be used as a clean boost, overdrive, or distortion. It also has this weird attack switch that plays with the harmonics..
Nope, no sig here.
Nothing bad will happen, they'll just give you a very specific tone, like say uh, Cliff Burton's or Chris Wostenholme's with the Big Muff and stuff.

I use a Danelectro Daddy-O and it gives me a nice Overdrive and tone, plus it doesnt cut my lows too badly.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.