Neither! If you have ~$600, definitely go for a used tube combo amp. Peavey Classic 30's are a solid choice in that range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

if a joke then lol haha im bored now

if ur serious then me and everyone else on this forum will tell you neither
im not an expert on amps but i hear voxs are very good in that price range
or you could get a used tube amp
i believe theres a gear recomendation thread at the top of the page
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
I think this one's for real.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at May 8, 2008,
I suggest the search bar first. Just put MG in there or Spider and see what comes up. As for an amp I suggest a Classic 30 Peavey or a Crate V33 depending on your budget, good luck.
What do you play?

Peavey Classic 30's looking like the way to go at the moment.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Peavy Valveking, Crate V33, Hughes & Kettner 30DFX or 60DFX, but certainly NO Line 6 or MG....

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
seriously, what is wrong with spiders?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
^The higher wattage models are USELESS. As long as you keep to bedroom practice ones, I have no problem with them.

Why isn't anyone actually helping him narrow down his selection?

Quote by SA215OL
well then what would be some good amps for around that price?

What kind of music do you play?
What kind of tones would you like to sound similar to?
^+1 - you're right!

uuummm....Vox Valvetronix maybe. Tube amp with pedals. Valveking, Fender Blues Jr or Super Champ.

Super Champ and Valvetrnix are hybrids so they will have a mix of tubes and solid state modeling. There are plenty of other good all tube choices as well.

;
The thing is, when the choices are MG/Spider, it almost doesn't matter what music genre etc. It's all gonna suffer through that gear, speaking from experience and not sarcasm. I stand by my recommendations of the Classic 30, Crate V33 or the Blues Jr, I like that one too. Good luck.
Quote by AlexiIbanez
low end marshalls are crap, and line 6 in general are just poo

that is so true

fender blues junior
i play metal, classic rock, jazz, blues, thrash, about anything. i play like stevie ray, metallica, b.b. king, megadeth, velvet revolver, disturbed, linkin park, joe satriani, dragon force. stuff like that. any thing, that can get good megadeth and good metallica tone distortion wise, and something that can have a nice clean setting for a little jazz.
Quote by gregs1020
The thing is, when the choices are MG/Spider, it almost doesn't matter what music genre etc. It's all gonna suffer through that gear, speaking from experience and not sarcasm. I stand by my recommendations of the Classic 30, Crate V33 or the Blues Jr, I like that one too. Good luck.

Are those Crate V33's good for numetal like lamb of god, killswitch engage, trivium, demon hunter, etc? I will be playing mainly that music and I've not heard anyone recommend the V33 yet. I don't really think i'll need any FX, cuz i never use the ones I have now lol so that amp would work if it has a good metal tone.
Your best bet for all those tones would be a messa boogie Mark IV, but they are way out of your price range. Personally I look into the peavey Valveking, its okay at every thing, but not reall great at any thing, but its miles ahead of the MGs and Spiders. If you have more of a classic vibe I would look into a Peavey Classic 30, its really good at a lot of different types of tone, and you can always get a Distortion pedal for hardcore stuff, or a OD pedal to boost the amps dist. Another and best option for you would be a used Peavey XXX the 40watt version on ebay are usually around that price, that would be the best of both worlds and still in your budget.
+ 1 on Cube 60, depite its a SS and is a modeling amp, it owns the spider, very versitile and doesnt sound too digital, that will do nicely.
From what I hear the Vox AD30VT and AD50VT are good amps for a wide range of music. But I have yet to try them out in person.
Comon Foks! He has a budget of 600 dollars, he should be looking for a nice TUBE combo, There are many used options that are fairly veristile and capable of metal for that price, like the XXX I mentioned earlier. TS you will get a lot more for your money if you are willing to go used.
Quote by Johnbryant
Comon Foks! He has a budget of 600 dollars, he should be looking for a nice TUBE combo, There are many used options that are fairly veristile and capable of metal for that price, like the XXX I mentioned earlier. TS you will get a lot more for your money if you are willing to go used.

You should probabl read a few more his posts.
He's looking for something that can do more than just metal...
Quote by SA215OL
i play metal, classic rock, jazz, blues, thrash, about anything. i play like stevie ray, metallica, b.b. king, megadeth, velvet revolver, disturbed, linkin park, joe satriani, dragon force. stuff like that. any thing, that can get good megadeth and good metallica tone distortion wise, and something that can have a nice clean setting for a little jazz.

Case and point. At a lower price point like this, he's not going to find a tube amp that does all of that.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probabl read a few more his posts.
He's looking for something that can do more than just metal...

Case and point. At a lower price point like this, he's not going to find a tube amp that does all of that.

The Peavey XXX can, havn't you heard.
Quote by Exodus04
Are those Crate V33's good for numetal like lamb of god, killswitch engage, trivium, demon hunter, etc? I will be playing mainly that music and I've not heard anyone recommend the V33 yet. I don't really think i'll need any FX, cuz i never use the ones I have now lol so that amp would work if it has a good metal tone.
No it is American voiced more for classic rock, fender-esque with earlier break up and not as much low end when clean as some of the fenders. Great amps for the price, try one and see but I think a VK would suit that music better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i been thinkin about the Peavey Valveking 212, but where and how much are the footswtiches? as long as the amp can do metal, and clean both im happy.