Hello.
This is another "what amp should I get?" thread, sorry. I'm writing this for a friend of mine, he's looking to get a tube amp. He's into heavier stuff (and a lot of soundscape music), Meshuggah and Opeth to name a few. And since I'm not much of, well, metalhead I thought that I'd ask you for him.

He was nice enough to give me a list of bands (and songs) to work with.
This is it:
Mats & Morgan - Thanks for Flying With Us
Meshuggah - Bleed
Meshuggah - Neurotica
Anaal Nathrakh - When the Lion Devours Both Dragon and Child
Kayo Dot - marathon
Necrophagist - Extreme Unction

He's looking for a recording volume tube amp, so it's not like he's asking for 100 Watt stacks or anything like that. And probably a distortion, or other kinds of pedals that might be needed, of some kind I suppose. The budget is kind of limited, at the moment he has about $700, but the pile might grow (I'm not sure though). Tone is the important part, it's for some serious recording. I guess that might be hard with the money he has, but the amplifier is priority.

We'll really appreciate any help!
Thanks in advance.
Custom PRS-style guitar
'62 reissue Fender Stratocaster
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
I'm not sure about the US price but a Krank Reve Jr. should fit the bill. Or a Peavey Windsor Studio with a pedal to boost it into more modern tones.

As far as lower wattage/good recording amps go, there aren't many that seem to be metal/br00talz orientated but those two could be good I think.
Quote by greggybhoy
I'm not sure about the US price but a Krank Reve Jr. should fit the bill. Or a Peavey Windsor Studio with a pedal to boost it into more modern tones.

As far as lower wattage/good recording amps go, there aren't many that seem to be metal/br00talz orientated but those two could be good I think.

peavey windsor for heavy metal??

a whole plethora of used combos in the 30-50W range can be had at that price that would be suitable... a lot of people will probably throw this out there, but 5150 is the first that comes to mind. mesa mark III's are usually under $700 used. rectoverbs are a little higher. LOTS of options in that price range if you go used.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Meshuggah have used Line 6 Vetta's before, also, the 5150 would do it.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I'm willing to try to get him to buy used. So I don't mind you suggesting used gear
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Keep your eyes open for a used knucklehead.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
As we live in Sweden it seems that most of the suggested amps might be a bit too expensive (of course I'll keep checking for them). What about distortions?
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
As we live in Sweden it seems that most of the suggested amps might be a bit too expensive (of course I'll keep checking for them). What about distortions?

You would think with Sweden being one of top spots for metal bands they would have a nice amp selection.. That sucks...
We probably have a decent selection of metal stuff. Not as good as the States. But everything's way more expensive it seems. My Clyde Deluxe is bought from USA, a new in Sweden would cost more than twice what I paid, including shipping.

The amplifier price difference isn't *that* gruesome though.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Last edited by Chances at May 9, 2008,
Well, Meshuggah uses Line 6 stuff. Opeth, requires more of a mid-high gain type amp i believe.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Chances
We probably have a decent selection of metal stuff. Not as good as the States. But everything's way more exepensive it seems. My Clyde Deluxe is bought from USA, a new in Sweden would cost more than twice what I paid, including shipping.

The amplifier price difference isn't *that* gruesome though.

Hit us up with some amps you have over there and a price comparison on atleast one of them and we can steer you in the right direction...
Quote by Bloodshed
Well, Meshuggah uses Line 6 stuff. Opeth, requires more of a mid-high gain type amp i believe.

Yup line 6 vettas to be exact and Opeth uses Laney VH100R's
There are Laneys here, do they make any good, somewhat cheap, amps? Maybe we chould try that. Vettas costs tons, and I haven't seen all that many Line6 amps, might have just missed them though, being more of a Marshall guy myself.

What about the Bugera amps? I've heard about reability issues, but the price tag seems about just right, so how's the tone?

Also, you could try adding about $100 to every price, but I'll really check out everything mentioned. We've got about every major brand, smaller brands seems somewhat harder to find, although I can't think of anything we don't have right now.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
There are Laneys here, do they make any good, somewhat cheap, amps? Maybe we chould try that. Vettas costs tons, and I haven't seen all that many Line6 amps, might have just missed them though, being more of a Marshall guy myself.

What about the Bugera amps? I've heard about reability issues, but the price tag seems about just right, so how's the tone?

Also, you could try adding about $100 to every price, but I'll really check out everything mentioned. We've got about every major brand, smaller brands seems somewhat harder to find, although I can't think of anything we don't have right now.

There are no reliability issues with the Bugera's. Mine works great, as do almost everybody else's who bought one. There have been about five or so documented cases of issues on the internet. That is hardly a reliability problem considering how many tens of thousands have probably already been sold. Now long term NOBODY knows yet...but, so far so good here...
Quote by TheEsupremacy
There are no reliability issues with the Bugera's. Mine works great, as do almost everybody else's who bought one. There have been about five or so documented cases of issues on the internet. That is hardly a reliability problem considering how many tens of thousands have probably already been sold. Now long term NOBODY knows yet...but, so far so good here...

There are reliability issues, I'm sure of that - although I suspect it's bad tubes. Mine just stopped working again, I'll just check it's not a faulty fuse tomorrow or the day after tomorrow and send it back to Thomann again (I'm gonna ask them to put better tubes in it or something this time if it's indeed the tubes).

And no, it's not user error (although the electricity in said building probably isn't that great - no-one else is having problems with their amps tho), I'm sure of that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
There are reliability issues, I'm sure of that - although I suspect it's bad tubes. Mine just stopped working again, I'll just check it's not a faulty fuse tomorrow or the day after tomorrow and send it back to Thomann again (I'm gonna ask them to put better tubes in it or something this time if it's indeed the tubes).

And no, it's not user error (although the electricity in said building probably isn't that great - no-one else is having problems with their amps tho), I'm sure of that.

I am really sorry about your luck. I can defiantely understand how you can argue reliability issues and be correct. I hope you don't decide to give up on Bugera but would understand if you did. I really would like to think you're building's power might be the problem, but if everybody else's amp works I highly doubt that's it...Either way, sorry man.
Quote by Fama

I am really sorry about your luck. I can defiantely understand how you can argue reliability issues and be correct. I hope you don't decide to give up on Bugera but would understand if you did. I really would like to think your building's power might be the problem, but if everybody else's amp works I highly doubt that's it...Either way, sorry man.
Reliability aside, how's the sound for, lets say, Meshuggah?
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I am really sorry about your luck. I can defiantely understand how you can argue reliability issues and be correct. I hope you don't decide to give up on Bugera but would understand if you did. I really would like to think you're building's power might be the problem, but if everybody else's amp works I highly doubt that's it...Either way, sorry man.

I like the tone so I think I'll keep it. It worked just fine for the 2-3 weeks I had it the second time around. Now I just played it for about half an hour, then again the growing static and pop -> turns off. I'm guessing it'll just blow the fuse right after I replace it too. But hey, 3 years warranty and I don't have to pay anything.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I like the tone so I think I'll keep it. It worked just fine for the 2-3 weeks I had it the second time around. Now I just played it for about half an hour, then again the growing static and pop -> turns off. I'm guessing it'll just blow the fuse right after I replace it too. But hey, 3 years warranty and I don't have to pay anything.

If it happens again I'd start looking @ other power issues though. There's bad luck and then there's Twilight Zone bad luck...you're approaching the latter...
Quote by Chances

You might be able to afford a GH50L, which is a great amp but single-channel. And I'd say that it wouldn't be that great for the really heavy stuff, it can do it but something like a 5150 or other generic metal amp would do it better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
in that price range you might be able to get a used engl thunder
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
köp min Mark III

http://www.vendolin.se/Annonce_Detail.asp?rub=&annonceid=5367285

Aren't Engl's rather cheap here? You could find a used fireball or a screamer in that price range. As said before, Opeth uses Laneys, so if like that sound look for a VH100r, a GH50/100L or one of those TT50s.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball