Hey,

I will turn 18 in about 4 months and I'm really struggling with the question whether to get a motorbike license or not.

I'm really afraid of the danger of riding a bike and my parents actually dont want me to do it... but my father also had a bike when he was young and sais its so much fun..

So what do you think about it? Do you think riding a motorcycle is very dangerous when you are careful?

I think I would be a reasonable biker.. I've been riding a scooter for nearly two years and there never was a really dangerous situation.

Greets
Quote by hirkammett
Hey,

I will turn 18 in about 4 months and I'm really struggling with the question whether to get a motorbike license or not.

I'm really afraid of the danger of riding a bike and my parents actually dont want me to do it... but my father also had a bike when he was young and sais its so much fun..

So what do you think about it? Do you think riding a motorcycle is very dangerous when you are careful?

I think I would be a reasonable biker.. I've been riding a scooter for nearly two years and there never was a really dangerous situation.

Greets
How much CC are we talking here? If you've been riding a scooter for nearly 2 years, then you should be absolutely fine, it's exactly the same, as long as you somehow resist absolutely flooring it at every clearing, which believe me, is a huge rush and is very hard to resist.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
I think the danger is, if you're in a crash there's not really anything else to take the impact, whereas if you're in a car, there's a car. If you wear leathers and a helmet, you should be fairly safe if you fall off.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by BassyJoey
How much CC are we talking here? If you've been riding a scooter for nearly 2 years, then you should be absolutely fine, it's exactly the same, as long as you somehow resist absolutely flooring it at every clearing, which believe me, is a huge rush and is very hard to resist.

Hm.. I think I would start with less than 500 ccm.. I actually think about getting a scooter with some more cc than 50 which my current scoot has.
Don't bother. I got hit by a motorbike a month or two ago and the bloke got pretty hurt, plus his bike was bust after. Do you want that to happen?
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Don't bother. I got hit by a motorbike a month or two ago and the bloke got pretty hurt, plus his bike was bust after. Do you want that to happen?

You said you got hit.. then it was his fault?
My mate is actually in hospital with broken legs... He suffered in accident where a drunken guy without a driving license hit his bike...

so... well, bikes are cool, but you see, it's pretty normal your parents disagree with your decision of buying one
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

He probably doesn't, so he won't be stupid about it.

Go for it if you think you can control yourself. Don't do it if you're gonna be riding around at 120 mph everywhere you go.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

Were you alright? I would've thought you would've had more damage done to you, or are you just being self effacing? Then come to think of it, if he got flung off...
Quote by hirkammett
Hm.. I think I would start with less than 500 ccm.. I actually think about getting a scooter with some more cc than 50 which my current scoot has.

Oh so you had a 50cc moped? I would suggest getting a 250 motorbike or even a 250 scooter and definitely nothing bigger. If you build it up gradually you tend to appreciate just how much power is behind the motorbike and wont drive like a jackass.

There are a lot of decent second hand bikes that fall under these categories, and they're not too expensive either.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Even if you are careful there's always the risk of someone hitting you just like every other motorist, except you have nothing to protect you but a helmet.

The question is not if you trust yourself...but can you trust them?
yeah, you should get it. it's awesome. i dont have it but still..

and yeah, it's up to you to if it's dangerous or not. if you drive properly and obey speed limits then no. if you have fun and dont obey speed limits, yes
Quote by Placenta_07
I think he likes me more than a friend but I like girls, like when I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

Quote by 12Jim34
^Wow. That's pretty abnormal.
Quote by hirkammett
You said you got hit.. then it was his fault?

It wasn't anybody's fault, I was at a crossing and a van was turning into a road to my left, so I couldn't see the road behind him, thought all the cars had stopped and as I walked out he had just driven round next to the curb and hit me when I hadn't seen him coming.

Quote by Cal UK
Were you alright? I would've thought you would've had more damage done to you, or are you just being self effacing? Then come to think of it, if he got flung off...

I was just a bit bruised I escaped the worst of it because I fell on the bike and slid on it for a bit, while he got stuck under. I think so anyway, I had more things on my mind at the time.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by BassyJoey
Oh so you had a 50cc moped? I would suggest getting a 250 motorbike or even a 250 scooter and definitely nothing bigger. If you build it up gradually you tend to appreciate just how much power is behind the motorbike and wont drive like a jackass.

There are a lot of decent second hand bikes that fall under these categories, and they're not too expensive either.

Yes I think a scooter would be good.

And I'm definitely not one of those guys who just ride at full throttle...
I am the only one in my town who did not change parts on my scoot like a 70cc engine etc.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I was just a bit bruised I escaped the worst of it because I fell on the bike and slid on it for a bit, while he got stuck under. I think so anyway, I had more things on my mind at the time.

Ouch.
60% of motorcycle accidents are caused because the motorcyclist is not seen. If you wear bright colours in the day and reflective bands in the night you drastically reduce your chances of being in a collision. Ride defensively, be seen, don't be an arrogant tosser and you'll be absolutely fine.

Of course, you should know that you WILL have an accident, you've just got to accept it and be as safe as possible.

Also, if you're ever in a bike accident, rag doll.
Quote by blynd_snyper
60% of motorcycle accidents are caused because the motorcyclist is not seen. If you wear bright colours in the day and reflective bands in the night you drastically reduce your chances of being in a collision. Ride defensively, be seen, don't be an arrogant tosser and you'll be absolutely fine.

Id say 60% of motorcycle accidents are caused because the arsehole in the car did'nt bother actually looking.....just a glance and pulls out
I own a motorcycle. People are idiots who always talk down about them its a shame. They talk about their past experiences and generalize. Honestly, if you think you are responsible enough to realize that what your riding has the potential to kill yourself and others, go get one. It's probably the best type of travelling, in my opinion. Don't be stupid and get a 600cc super sport. Start off with something like a CBR125 or a NINJA 250, that will do you fine. I personally think riding is the best pleasure.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
You're going to be much more capable of avoiding accedents whil your riding a motorcycle actually. both because your paying more attention to the road and your surroundings becasue you have to, and because your much smaller and much more manuverable (sp?) then a car or any other vehicle. Most motorcycle accidents are caused by the other person, dont be afraid to use your horn to get there attention.

Now, if you throttle it every chance you get and take risks every chance you get, then your going to get into an accident that will be your fault.

You're also going to get a lot of dicks that will try to race you with there super-powered (so they think) car. Just ignore them, though if you get something that has a 500-600 cc engine you'll probably be able to beat just about anything anyway. If your bike is sportsbike, or it has like a 1000 cc engine, dont even question your ability to speed ahead of them to get ahead of the harrasment
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Go for it. My whole family rides them (including my mom and sister ). If you have 2 years of scooter experience then you will be fine. A motorcycle is no more dangerous then a scooter except for the speed...though I have seen some scooters/vespas that go super fast.

As for the power of the bike how big are you? I'm 6'1 and 190lbs and I find that a 250cc engine doesn't cut it. Also, you will want to replace it very soon. It's better to make the investment and go for a 500-600cc and just be responsible with it.

Just be aware of whats around you and you will be safe.
Im in same kind of debate with my parents and gf. They say its too dangerous because of other people and they all have stories of people and crap. My dad used to have one with his brother (they had a minor crash) and he sees loads of people come into hospital who have broke bones, some even died after few days and ****.

But i love adrenaline and bikes just do that, the rush and crap. I love karting too but i want something faster. Im only 16 aswell so i can onli get a 125CC for my 17th. I know the dangers and i probably will crap myself at busy roundabouts lol. I think best thing is to get somthing on you or your bike which is yellow/reflective to get peoples attention and avoid driving at night.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
I've been riding bikes since I was a kid...started with a 60cc 2-stroke dirtbike, got a 250cc road bike at 14, and now ride either that or my dad's 650cc. Both are Honda Nighthawks. if you aren't looking for loads of power, I'd say get an older 400-650cc bike. Over 650 and the insurance goes up a lot.

A 250 is good to build up your skill with, but they really don't like highways and don't do well at all on interstates. You'll get used to the power anyway.

Don't get a crotchrocket if you're looking for transportation. Those are really meant for recreation. I mean sure, you can put on a backpack or something with those, but saddlebags and rear seats make things a lot easier.

As for the safety, as long as you're careful and pay attention, you'll be fine. People don't see bikes as easily as they do other cars, but bikes have no blind spots...your call.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at May 11, 2008,