how do i do a hammer on like this..

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q
|-15p12----15p12----15p12----15p12------15p12----15p12----15p12----15\--
|-----------12---------12---------12--------12-----------12---------12----------12------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
i cant get it to sound right, phantom of the opera by iron maiden
does it just take alot of practice? how do i pick them?
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I would do a downstroke on the e string, pull off to the 12th, then do an upstroke on the b string. Practice SLOWLY, and keep the notes of equal length.
haha thanks its working a bit better.. anyone else got tips
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I just figured this out just hold the note on the twelfth freth down with one finger and mute the note on the b string with your palm when you do the downstroke on the e i usually strike the twelfth fret note with a down stroke then strike the fiftheenth fret note with an upstroke pull off to the twelfth fret and then strike the b string with an subsequent upstroke. If you'd only like to hit the twelfth fret note on the e string once per run then hit the fifteenth fret with the downstroke pull to twelve and then hit the b string with the upstroke.
It would be more efficient to do an upstroke on the e string, pull off to the 12th, then do an upstroke on the b string. It may take some getting used to, but it will be more beneficial in the long run.

EDIT: Beaten ^
You could use the flesh of your 2nd finger on the e, and the 1st finger on the b. Upstroke for both. This is quite cool if you wanna get more of a 'snap' to the note. Keep practicing dude!
Quote by killcitydragon
It would be more efficient to do an upstroke on the e string, pull off to the 12th, then do an upstroke on the b string. It may take some getting used to, but it will be more beneficial in the long run.

Yeah s'all good. Kenny this is know as economy picking.
dude you can play that so many ways. inside picking, outside picking, all downstrokes, any way that works. try all, just do it slow man youll get it. dont over analyze it too much, your wasting time that you could be practicing it different ways.
Quote by killcitydragon

thats what im trying to do, i cant get good timing though
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by KennySG
thats what im trying to do, i cant get good timing though

Metronome if you have one. Or try counting out loud. "1+a, 2+a".
dont have one, no idea what to do with one
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by mdc
Metronome if you have one. Or try counting out loud. "1+a, 2+a".

also a great way to gewt profficient at singing while playing. Kinda like a 69
^Don't double post, use the edit button. The tapping will work, but it sounds different and it's a fairly common lick so it'll benefit him more to learn the picked way to do it. And what the hell does a 69 have to do with anything?
Quote by KennySG
how do i do a hammer on like this..

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q
|-15p12----15p12----15p12----15p12------15p12----15p12----15p12----15\--
|-----------12---------12---------12--------12-----------12---------12----------12------
i cant get it to sound right, phantom of the opera by iron maiden
does it just take alot of practice? how do i pick them?

dude you shouldnt be hammering on at all, if you meant pull off then you want to up stroke it all almost like a sweep but not as hard