i noticed something today. you need to use the special swear guard to say the 'f' word the 's' word, ect. i know it may be against the rules but look at this. our precious wtf smiley. as im sure you all know wtf stands for;

What
The
Fuck

now how can you excuse this but i can't say it under normal terms? ****.
wtf isn't explicitly swearing anymore. just like lol doesn't actually get used to show that somebody is laughing out loud.

It's developed it's own meaning as a separate entity. Beyond that it could also have none explicit words instead of ****, 'fudge' is one I've heard as a last minute swear avoidance technique.

Is it really that big of a deal though?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
well theres not really a need for bad language on the internet is there?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
We have lot of younger members on this forum, many of whom complain when their parents see inappropriate adverts / swearing / rude posts on forums.

The censorship is here for a reason.
Been away, am back
swearing isn't against the rules per se, but we'd rather if most of it was censored as we'd all like UG to be as family-friendly as possible.
from daylight...
...into darkness
I think the way it is right now serves a useful purpose. It requires gaining a bit of skill and finesse to use course language. If a kid is smart enough to gain those skills he's more likely to also be smart enough to know when those words are more socially acceptable and when they aren't. It doesn't work in all cases, but it's a step in the right direction.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Logz
We have lot of younger members on this forum, many of whom complain when their parents see inappropriate adverts / swearing / rude posts on forums.

The censorship is here for a reason.

this confuses me. we have 100s of pages of hot chicks, over 9000 *chan references, many, many jokes about rape, murder, AIDS, ect. but seeing a swear would offend parents? i mean, if they surfed the pit for 5 minutes they would want their kids out.
Well perhaps those kids purposely dont to into the hot girls thread. Maybe they dont go into the pit.
Maybe they use the site for its actual purpose? To learn the guitar and maybe they would like to be able to have a good time doing it, they dont want to go onto each thread and see "your fucking choice of music is shit."

This is a family site. Designed for all audiences. Censorship is just tools we use.

And its gonna be staying.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Well perhaps those kids purposely dont to into the hot girls thread. Maybe they dont go into the pit.
Maybe they use the site for its actual purpose? To learn the guitar and maybe they would like to be able to have a good time doing it, they dont want to go onto each thread and see "your fucking choice of music is shit."

This is a family site. Designed for all audiences. Censorship is just tools we use.

And its gonna be staying.

i didn't mean to use that kind of stuff outside of the pit. and the example you used was an example of flaming someone over their musical choice.
Quote by bequickorbedead
Fuck, there's a censor?

of course there fucking is. But it only affects those posting from a computer owned by a registered sex offender.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm fine with the censorship, the only problem I ever had was when I saw 'fuck' used on the front page of the website.

Seems a bit contradictory, no?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
I'm fine with the censorship, the only problem I ever had was when I saw 'fuck' used on the front page of the website.

Seems a bit contradictory, no?

they also said on the front page "MCR says, 'Emo is a pile of sh*t'". im not getting it.
Does the expression "you're beating a dead horse" mean anything to you?

Just let it be, bendy.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.