Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I was going to get a Line 6 Spider III 210 amp (120W), but i keep reading bad reviews about them. Tho i do read good ones as well. I tried it, it sounds good, but i'm really tempted to get a tube amp, Marshall possibly.

I tried the Marshall DSL401 & liked that. It was more expensive but i don't mind.

I have about £400 ($800) to spend (possibly a little more) & in live in the UK. I play Ozzy stuff, Metallica, WASP, ACDC etc. Most types of metal/rock, but also clean stuff also. I mainly play at home, i've a detached house so loudness aint a problem.

Would you go for the Spider, the Marshall, a different Marshall or something completely different?

Many thanks
avoid the spider there good for practise but ntot for stage get the marshall tube
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
DSL. the spiders suck
LTD KH-602
Schecter Hellraiser C-8
Bugera 333X
Pedalboard:
Boss TU-2, HM-2
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Crybaby From Hell
Way Huge Swollen Pickel
DeviEver: Legend of Fuzz
MXR Phase 90 Script, Carbon Copy, MC-401
DSL, good amp
Spider, bad amp! Bad!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Look at the Sound City SC30C and SC40C combos, somebody I know bought the head as an upgrade from his DSL, and he regrets it not one bit. They sound very nice and modern but are let down by poor speakers and tubes - although this is if anything even WORSE on the DSL - definitely look into them, they seem very reasonably priced and with great tone.

Not to mention I'm an avid hater of the DSL anyway.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
the DSL401 isn't great, but its a hell of a lot better than the spider.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Wow, that was fast guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for the info, i'll avoid the Spider. Is that DSL well worth it, or is there a better valve amp for the price?

If i get the DSL is it worth getting a distortion pedal also? If so what type? Also what about a Zakk overdrive pedal, or is that just a distortion pedal?

Also i need a wah pedal, is the Jim Dunlop standard one pretty much one of the best?

Oh i forgot, i play a Zakk Bullseye Epi if it makes any difference to the amp. I'm also looking to get a RR Jackson or something similar next.

Cheers guys
i used to own the marshal dsl401 and absolutely loved it, great sounding amp
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I have a spider III (75 watts) and they're good amps and better than a marshall in my opinion when i had no effects pedals etc. My experience with it is that it is a practice amp and a good one.

But with your budget definatly a marshall tube amp, because of the valve amp sound you will get will be so much better than the solid state practice amp spider. Even if your playing at home you will want the quality if you can.
Quote by axe_man
I have a spider III (75 watts) and they're good amps and better than a marshall in my opinion when i had no effects pedals etc. My experience with it is that it is a practice amp and a good one.

But with your budget definatly a marshall tube amp, because of the valve amp sound you will get will be so much better than the solid state practice amp spider. Even if your playing at home you will want the quality if you can.

what?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube

Blompcube,

If the DSL isn't great, is there anything you would recommend instead mate?

I've just seen by your avatar that you don't like gak.co.uk . Is there any particular reason? Was just asking as i've looked at their site a few times to buy a guitar case, but haven't got round to it yet.

Cheers
Quote by MrCarrot
Look at the Sound City SC30C and SC40C combos, somebody I know bought the head as an upgrade from his DSL, and he regrets it not one bit. They sound very nice and modern but are let down by poor speakers and tubes - although this is if anything even WORSE on the DSL - definitely look into them, they seem very reasonably priced and with great tone.

Not to mention I'm an avid hater of the DSL anyway.

MrCarrot,

I've actually read elsewhere about poor speakers on the DSL & people changing them. I don't really want to go changing things. I'd like a quality tube amp to just plug in & go, no messing around with speakers etc. I don't mind buying pedals to make things sound better tho.

Quote by Blompcube

+1

Laney VCs/LCs, Sound City SCs, Peavey Classics, Fender Hot Rods maybe a used traynor, a lot better bang for the buck IMO.
Quote by keane16
Blompcube,

If the DSL isn't great, is there anything you would recommend instead mate?

I've just seen by your avatar that you don't like gak.co.uk . Is there any particular reason? Was just asking as i've looked at their site a few times to buy a guitar case, but haven't got round to it yet.

Cheers

Assuming you're in the UK (you stated your budget in £ i'd recommend you take a look at Laney amps, imo they are the best value amps in the country, and the LC and VC series are pretty good. I'd say most likely LC30 based on what you play.

The reason i hate GAK is a long story, so i'll just say: have you ever seen any indication of stock on any item? if the item is out of stock they just process the order without telling you, and then leave you waiting. then they'll say "estimated despatch date blah" on the order tracking, and then when blah day comes, they change it to a week later, repeatedly. Its pathetic, annoying, and i'm not shopping there again.

Quote by Blompcube
Assuming you're in the UK (you stated your budget in £ i'd recommend you take a look at Laney amps, imo they are the best value amps in the country, and the LC and VC series are pretty good. I'd say most likely LC30 based on what you play.

The reason i hate GAK is a long story, so i'll just say: have you ever seen any indication of stock on any item? if the item is out of stock they just process the order without telling you, and then leave you waiting. then they'll say "estimated despatch date blah" on the order tracking, and then when blah day comes, they change it to a week later, repeatedly. Its pathetic, annoying, and i'm not shopping there again.

Heck, well at least i now know to avoid the Spiders & also GAK

I'll check out the Laney thanks mate.
DSL401 is a great amp, I love mine.

Speaker change is completely down to personal preferance. Some like the stock, some don't. Go try it
Quote by sofubar

Speaker change is completely down to personal preferance. Some like the stock, some don't. Go try it

I will thanks mate

Do you use any pedals with it. Also is it good for different tones like Metallica/Ozzy/ACDC & clean stuff?
Not trying to sound like a fanboy coz I own one but I'd suggest getting a used JCM900. It can do ACDC/Metallica/Ozzy without too much trouble and the clean tone is in my opinion the best clean tone out of all the Marshalls.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
marshall spiders too fake and plastic cheap parts 2 break easily
Setup:

Ibanez Gio
Bc Rich Warlock
Fender Squier Telecaster Deluxe Custom
Peavey Bandit
1982 JCM 800 Marshall 50WT Amplifier
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Digitech Rp200a
Quote by mysteriousmunky

Learn2English.

One of the amps I considered when I was searching for an amp was the DSL. The reason I didn't get it was because I heard that it didn't have enough gain for Metallica style stuff, so be wary of that.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Not trying to sound like a fanboy coz I own one but I'd suggest getting a used JCM900. It can do ACDC/Metallica/Ozzy without too much trouble and the clean tone is in my opinion the best clean tone out of all the Marshalls.

Cheers mate, i'll check out one of those as well.

I've ben reading a little on the Laney LC30, & they seem to be getting good reviews. Many say they're better than the Marshall DSL401. It's actually alot cheaper as well.
The spider valves are nice, the solid states suck
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by evilbeaver22

How good are the Spider Valves? On a par/bette/worse than the Marshall DSL401, Laney LC30 etc?
Quote by mysteriousmunky

www.learnenglish.com

The spider valves are alright. There's a few videos on youtube.

I'd get the spider valve if versatility was completely necessary.
But, less versatile amps like the DSL and LC series do fewer tones, but better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm kinda leaning towards the DSL401 or LC30 at the mo. Will both be fine for most types of metal/rock/thrash?

Also would a distortion or overdrive pedal be beneficial?

I also want to gig at some point, nowhere too big, will these be loud enough?
usually with any tube amp, having a good overdrive is a good idea. Incase you wanted to tighten up the distortion or to just have a lead boost.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
usually with any tube amp, having a good overdrive is a good idea. Incase you wanted to tighten up the distortion or to just have a lead boost.

I just listened to a youtube clip of a guy with a DSL401 & a Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal going through it. Sounds cool. I just might go with those, i'll try them first tho of course.

Cheers mate
Alright. Sounds good!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've got the DSL 401, I really like mine but the stock tubes are pretty mediocre. They are often buzzy and muddy and lacking definition when you start cranking the gain to higher levels.

I have had my DSL 401 revalved with JJ Teslas allround and there was a MASSIVE difference. I also had the bias lowered to 1v and a Celestion G12T-75 installed. Now this amp kicks some serious ass. It is now focussed and defined, with a big bottom end, singing mid range and bright crisp highs.

You shoudn't need a distortion pedal for it. There is already plenty enough gain for classic metal territory ( it does Iron Maiden VERY well), if you want more modern metal, all you really need is a boast like a tube screamer.

I really recommend the DSL 401 as it is a VERY good tube combo amp, but you really should get it revalved.
Quote by SG thrasher
No, he uses his signature amp.

Didn't he use them while in Sabbath? Besides his signature is the GH100TI and it has the exact same features, just cosmetic differences and a bright/bass switch.
Hell, the Laney site even uses the same soundclips for both amps, they'll probably be almost indistinguishable when played on the same settings.
^What Horlicks said.

OR... if you still want to go the DSL route, it is a good idea to do a revalve or a speaker change. It's probably fine without new valves/speakers, but I believe that the right valves and speakers can bring out the full potential of any amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Horlicks
Didn't he use them while in Sabbath? Besides his signature is the GH100TI and it has the exact same features, just cosmetic differences and a bright/bass switch.
Hell, the Laney site even uses the same soundclips for both amps, they'll probably be almost indistinguishable when played on the same settings.

No, you idiot, it's completely different, my god, you spout so much bullshit on these forums it's untrue.

The GHTI is voiced completely differently, it's quite similar to an Engl.
Quote by evilbeaver22

I found the Sprider Valve's to be quite generic actually. In fact, by adding those useless, ****ty, effects (exact copy of Spider III effects) they basically ruined what could have been a half way decent amp idea. Better amps out there for the money that's for sure.
Quote by sofubar

i agree with this guy, the speaker is a simple change and takes about 10 mins to do if you would be wanting to change it, as has been said some people like the stock speaker, i was planning on selling my dsl401 when i got my jubilee but i decided to keep both because i realy like my dsl401, you will always get people that will love or hate an amp and you cant realy take anyones opinion for your own, you just have to try it out, and the dsl401 has quite a lot of gain so you wont need to worry about an od pedal to push the amp
Last edited by scottish nutter at May 9, 2008,
Page 1 of 2