If I was to change the tubes and speakers in my amp, could I possibly get it to have an American voicing, or is an amp wired to have particular voicing? It's a Lany VC-15 by the way.

Thanks for any advice!
Its a british amp, thats how it will stay forever without some proper modding, you can swap out the valves/speaker for brighter sounding ones, but with the VCs harshness its not something id like to do. Your best off just saving up for something else.
I doubt it, American voiced usually means the typical fender sounds, which is more often than not the 6l6's, your laney I believe runs 2 EL84's in the power amp and because of this will give you the tone you have now. Of course you can swap speakers and get more mellow pre's, but the cost to get you anywhere near the American tone would probably cover a new amp.
It won't sound like a deluxe reverb or anything, but you could get it closer with a new speaker and tubes. Some tweaking of the preamp section could be done as well. Changing the mid pot for a lower value would help a lot.
Sell it and get a Blues Junior.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
You won't get closer to the Fender tone by replacing the speaker, since there is already an American speaker in it. I suggest a Fenderish pedal, like a Toadworks Lil Leo, or a Menatone Dirty Blonde.
Quote by beckyjc
Its a british amp, thats how it will stay forever without some proper modding, you can swap out the valves/speaker for brighter sounding ones, but with the VCs harshness its not something id like to do. Your best off just saving up for something else.

I thought so. But no way am I getting another amp, the VC-15 is great!

I was just wondering, as I can most Rolling Stones tones(!) with my Laney, and I know Keef uses a lot of old Fenders in his arsenal.

On a side note; if I wanted more headroom, would I replace the preamp tubes? And what with? Would I need to get the amp re-biased?
Well the problem is that the kind of amp the Laney VC15 is (cathode biased EL84) are generally fairly low headroom and there aren't really any high headroom EL84s. Changing to preamp tubes with higher headroom will only affect the preamp more or less. However you could put in a lower gain tube like a 12AU7 or 12AY7 in the P.I. which will lower the gain and get a bit more headroom. You can't rebias the amp, since it's cathode biased.

Also I agree that it's great for Stones sounds!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
You can't rebias the amp, since it's cathode biased.

It's fixed bias. Check the schematic.
What difference does it make depending on how it's biased? Would different power tubes give me more headroom?
hey i have the same amp and a little while back i was looking to do the same thing. im kind of looking for an old peter green style bluesy tone with nice rounded notes that pop out when needed.

im running a les paul style guitar into the high input. i have the drive gain on about 3.5 and volume on around 2 (limited on how loud i can play).

ive found that the amp naturally has quite a strong throaty mid anyway and if you try taking it down to between 1.5 to 4 (not something you'd normally do) it gives the amp a bit of the hollowness im looking for. if your looking to go a bit more american sounding, EXPERIMENT WITH THE MIDS. in aparticular below halfway and fine tuning around the point where it sounds like it switches phases.

i compensate the low mids by pushing highs right up to 10 and have bright switch on so you still have the attack. i dont find this to be too much with this amp but maybe its also because im running almost 30 ft in total of cables which will round out the highs a bit.

experimenting with the lows i find that 4 or 5 is a good place but still you're kind of compensating to get more rounded lead stuff while not being muddy on the rhythm.

oh and i have the tone knob pretty much at 10 most of the time nowadays. always used to have it at 4 but found with this eq it literally gives you more tone the higher it goes and not harshness as it had always done before using my old settings. by more tone here i mean more musical notes and less string noise etc.

bear in mind that you'll get variations even within different amps of same model. this is my second vc15 (1st was sent back after a week due to a faulty drive led). the first one had more of a smooth mellow fendery feel while this one had more of a marshally throatyness. for the sound im looking for at the moment i would probably be better off with the faulty first one.

that said, like you, i love my vc and didnt buy it to sound like a fender. it just always has a dark moody feel which i feel suits the blues well as opposed to the more chirpy fenders. so when im saying im aiming for a fendery sound im basically meaning the dynamics and headroom i guess

at the moment im still working on getting more hollowness into my sound. its hard to describe but i think the key is in the mids. about to go have a play with lower pickup heights and into the low input to try and get closer.

let me know how you get on and whats working for you.

any other vc owners, itd be good to hear what sounds youve managed to coax from these beautiful little amps and how you did it. i love my vc15 and to be honest wouldnt replace it with anything else AT ANY BUDGET unless it was a second amp for variety.

sorry for the essay, hope it helps
Quote by clear and blue
hey
sorry for the essay, hope it helps

I really hope you have changed the tubes and stock speaker.
The amount of treble must surely be unreal!

I have my bass cranked to 10, mids at 4, treble at 4, and I get a nice tone.
Turn on my OD on the drive channel (sounds much better then clean - I use the drive channel for everything now, even cleans), and it's still extremely bright, and a lot of treble is present (and the bright switch is off).
Although, its much more manageable and acceptable, and sounds pleasing.

I love the VC.
No way can it sound American, however.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by rhcp_freak
Sell it and get a Blues Junior.

+1 that's exactly what i thought when i read this thread. With the amount of work it'll take it'd be more cost effective to just sell it and put the money towards fenders "equivalent" amplifier.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Simsimius

The amount of treble must surely be unreal!

I have my bass cranked to 10, mids at 4, treble at 4, and I get a nice tone.

like i said i think there is a large amount of variety in amps out of the factory. bass on 10 for me would just make everything really wooly. if i want it to sound really big and thumpy i turn up the mids. the way my amp at least works is bass for warmth, mids for perceived distance, smooth/rawness and highs for attack dynamics.

it doesnt go all ice picky on me if thats what your thinking, in fact theres not really much difference in treble volume, more just a change in timbre if that makes any sense at all.

also the higher you have the gain, the more trebley the sound will seem and ive been using not much pre gain at all recently- although it does sound really good at 6 or 7.

EDIT: if you wanted to, would it even be possible to stick 6l6's in an el84 amp?
The fender sound is in the tonestack circuitry of the amp, nothing to do with the tubes or the speaker, or, rather, very little.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by clear and blue
like i said i think there is a large amount of variety in amps out of the factory. bass on 10 for me would just make everything really wooly. if i want it to sound really big and thumpy i turn up the mids. the way my amp at least works is bass for warmth, mids for perceived distance, smooth/rawness and highs for attack dynamics.

it doesnt go all ice picky on me if thats what your thinking, in fact theres not really much difference in treble volume, more just a change in timbre if that makes any sense at all.

also the higher you have the gain, the more trebley the sound will seem and ive been using not much pre gain at all recently- although it does sound really good at 6 or 7.

EDIT: if you wanted to, would it even be possible to stick 6l6's in an el84 amp?

I have my pre-amp gain at 2, use an OD for drive, really gives me a nice sound.
My amp sounds nice and warm. It sounds perfect for cleans, a lovely tone.
I think the EH 12AX7 really helped with that.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
the amp i have now has a lot less gain than the first one. for me pre gain at 2 would be cleaner than the clean channel which is actually quite useful for working the output tubes a bit more. how did changing out a preamp tube affect the sound? is it much of a difference. i was considering changing the the first tube for a lower gain alternative (5751 or 12at7) but the amp is so low noise at the moment i dont really want to use that.

actually it is so low noise that i have a dodgy connection on a powersupply to my wah pedal that gives a load of hissing sometimes and so often i dont even think to wiggle it better because im so used to getting hiss from a tube amp.