So today I went to Sam Ash and played some of their highest end guitars, ending up thoroughly disappointed with everything about a Martin D35; a 2200 price tag.

About a week back I played a pretty disgusting, 3,000 dollar Breedlove.

Anyone have similar experiences?
My God, it's full of stars!
I think that my PRS SE standard plays just as well as a custom 22/44 which is about a 1500 dollar difference

i went to play some Fender Jazz basses the other day expecting them to blow me away

they were pretty good, but i was expecting better
Rockin' shit
I played a 1995 HD-28 that i liked less than my D-16RGT. i was quite surprised O__o like... i didnt hate it, but the sound coming from that thing was all muffled bass. didnt enjoy it at all. there was no shimmering high end to balance out the booming bass on that thing.

i also played a Seagull S6 at Long & McQuade(canada's largest instrument store chain) and i was disgusted =/ now, im not a big seagull fan(although i certainly acknowledge their great craftsmanship), but that thing was just gross. it was like man-handling a piece of garbage. didnt even sound nice.
it's funny you ran into this issue with the D-35.... i am not a big fan of them myself.

i have yet to really run into any high end breedloves that disappointed me. i've played many that weren't my cup of tea... but it was more because i didn't like the neck or the style or the tonewood choices... in other words they didn't suit ME as a player, but i felt confident that they would've suited someone else perfectly. i haven't really run into any that are just crap.
Well I'm praying to god that it was just an usually dead set of strings; I found more life in a 700 dollar Laguna guitar than that 3k Breedlove :\

However, the smaller bodied Breedlove right next to the other one was fantastic!
My God, it's full of stars!
Right on Dreadnought. It's for this very reason we keeping suggesting to people to try before you buy. Imagine dropping 3k on that Breedlove through an online site only to find out it sounds average at best. No thanks! I do wonder tho if it's just a bunk set of strings on it like you said.
I got a used D-15, great shape, decent price, love the smell....don't really enjoy playing it for some reason. Something about it I don't like. I thought the action was too high or something, guitar tech said it was perfect. I seem to get alot of string buzz playing the exact same thing. not sure I like the neck either.
I play my Yamaha fg750 90% of time.
this phenomenon happens quite often wood can be strange two guitars built out of wood cut in consecutive cuts and built buy the same luthier with the same bracing can sound so different.

sometimes as players we can even grow used to our own guitars and long for something new to rekindle our playing spirit i think it is a marketing scheme made by evil guitar companies forcing us to buy more and more guitars thus lining there pockets with our false hope that the next guitar will be the last one we buy. seriuosly though i think it most often has to do with strings and our techniuque on guitars that have a different feel than we are used to ie scale lenght and neck width so on and so forth.

i know for me i lean on the top of my dreadnaught and dampen its tone just a tad if i am sitting down. when standing up though i free hand strum and the top can vibrate more my smaller takamine fits me different and i dont rest my arm on it as much hence a smaller bodied guitar usually sound a little brighter to me upon first examination than a dreadnaught guitar in the same family.
Taylor Electric, any Jackson ever...
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by Zanon
I think that my PRS SE standard plays just as well as a custom 22/44 which is about a 1500 dollar difference

I don't. Thats like comparing a MIM and a CS, if you can't tell the difference you're not looking hard enough.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by jimtaka
it's funny you ran into this issue with the D-35.... i am not a big fan of them myself.

i have yet to really run into any high end breedloves that disappointed me. i've played many that weren't my cup of tea... but it was more because i didn't like the neck or the style or the tonewood choices... in other words they didn't suit ME as a player, but i felt confident that they would've suited someone else perfectly. i haven't really run into any that are just crap.

Yeah, me too. The D-35 sounds OK, but not for the price. I think my Masterbilt AJ500R sounds amazingly similar, and I'm a Martin fanboy. I play the heck out of the HD-28V every time I go to GC I play the heck out of the HD-28v.I have to say that the Breedlove Focus disappointed me. I thought the CR-25 Pro series sounded better for half the price ( which I think is one of the nicest sounding guitars ).