I'm in my school's jazz band, and I've been using the school's Peavey bass amp for a few years now. The only problem is that it finally decided to die last week. I personally don't own an amp higher than 10 watts.

The resolution we came to is this: the guitarist and I are sharing the same guitar amp. Now, I realize how terribly bad this is, but it's all we can do unless I can borrow a bass amp from somebody by next Tuesday.

My question is, what settings would you recommend to get any sort of decent bass tone out of an emergency-situation guitar amp? It's some sort of fancy Roland amp, and I'm definitely keeping the volume as low as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by tona_107
how cheap are you? just buy a ****in amp

not everyone has money just lying about.
try to keep the volume lower than usual. stay below 3, lower if you can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by tona_107
how cheap are you? just buy a ****in amp

Warned. Not exactly helpful, eh?

And on the topic:
Hergiswi, I would only use the guitar amp as a last resort. Its going to be difficult to get a decent tone out of it, even if you don't blow the amp.

Have you looked a possibly doing a short term rental? I know of at least one place near me that will loan out PA and amps on a short term basis.
I didn't think of a rental. There's at least one music store nearby, so maybe I can try that. How much do rentals usually cost?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Well, to be fair, it's possible to get a good sound out of a guitar amp.

I used to use my Performer 1000 before I had a bass amp. Of course, it's a 12", not to mention a very decent amp. And of course, I didn't get the low end presence I'd get from a bass amp, but I got a very clear, brassy tone that cut through... DI'd of course, I wouldn't turn the guitar amp high enough to blow it...

Hell, it was better than using an Ampeg.

What. I said it.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Hergiswi
I didn't think of a rental. There's at least one music store nearby, so maybe I can try that. How much do rentals usually cost?

It really depends on the local shop, but it shouldn't be more than 30 - 40 usd per day or over a weekend. They do make you put down a deposit, which they refund after they make sure you haven't trashed the equipment.

And WhyLater you are still one of the funniest people I know.
Does your School own a small PA system? you could plug into that
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Hergiswi
Dude, have your music teacher talk to the owner of the music store.
They LOVE to do favors for schools.
You might even get the use of the amp for the night of the concert for free.
Of course your music teacher will want to mention to the audience the fact that
[insert name here] music store provided the bass amp. Get the picture?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.