Iam looking at the epi sgs. All have 22 except the prophecy and it has 24. Should this influence my decision?
no you donT need 24 fresT you will find mosT guiTars HaVE 21 22. soz T V E is broken
Quote by fronkpies

i once laughed so hard i poo'ed on my auntie's carpet..

nice..
I have a 24 fretter and it can come in usefull having those extra 2 but i can honestly say it doesnt make too much difference as i rarely go that high.
Is there any price difference?
I have never found a need for 24 frets. 22, sure, on occasion. Even then though I find it rare that scaling the entire length of the fretboard is actually necessary. 24 frets is always overkill, in my view. Plenty of great players have coped with 22 or just 21 frets for decades.

It also comes with the downside that having the extra 2 frets means you lose tone on the neck pickup. That makes it really not worth it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by ckyjames
no you donT need 24 fresT you will find mosT guiTars HaVE 21 22. soz T V E is broken

what?
could be useful
but for what i dont know
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
It won't make that much of a difference I don't think, any guitarist can use upto 22 frets, and if you manage it somehow, you can bend the 22nd fret (good luck )

Anyway, loads of guitarists cope with 22, you can to
Follower of Zeppelinism

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.:stickpoke
My Parker has 22, easily bend it to the 24th fret..

It's not a necessity, but useful if you're really going to utilize every fret, or need that extra octave of the 12th for a solo.
I think the Iommi Sig has 24 frets also. In reality though you don't need it all that much. Its only a couple extra frets. I'd focus on the model that catches your eye and utilizes your needs more. The 24 fret guitars are usually better for metal or shred guitar.
Do you play any metal or shred? If sou I'd highly recommend it. You cant really bend the 22 when you're tapping it in a sixteenth note passage.
having 24 frets gets rid of the harmonic sweet spot right above the neck pickup

having 24 frets is useless anyways
That's true to a degree.

I can shred fine with just 22 frets, limits me somewhat, but it's something I can work around.

Like I said, it's not a necessity, but useful to those who utilize those frets...

I'd rather go for a guitar that suits my needs then worry about if it has an extra 2 frets, Specially if it feels great and plays well.

If more frets are really an issue, try Edwards guitars or Caparison, they have much more frets, including 27 I believe.
Well i play some megadeth and iron maiden. I might get into the yngwie malmsteen stuff someday. The guitars i am looking in to are the epi g400 models(all of them) and the epi sg prophecy.
Thats like asking do i need a crazy shaped guitar... do i need 7 strings... do i need two pickups... do i need XJ frets. Its all a matter of preference. 24 frets at the least will generally make it easier to get to the 22 fret but everyone has their preference... thats why there is GC so you can try things out.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
The g400s are $300-350 except the g400 custom it is $500. The prophecy is $550
I find 24 makes it easier to access the 22nd Fret at least, and its useful for shred and Metal. If you play Yngwie, you probobly wont need it but most other players do on occasion go up there so its a nice feature to have.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
having 24 frets gets rid of the harmonic sweet spot right above the neck pickup

having 24 frets is useless anyways

disregard anything someone says about "harmonic sweet spots" becuase as soon as you put your finger down on a fret the sweet spot moves so whether or not you have a 21,22 or 24 fret guitar there will aways be diferent sweet spots. Of which you wont notice anyways.

Edit: and to answer your question you dont NEED 24 frets but it is sometimes nice to have. If you play a lot of shred and metal stuff it certainly is nice to have, but don't make it a deciding factor between guitars.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at May 8, 2008,
Unless you're planing to cover songs exactly note by note which need the 23-24 fret, then you shouldn't.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I enjoy having 24, but I really don't need the extra two. It makes it a lot easier to reach up higher though. And as far as I can tell, after a year and a half of playing a 24 fret guitar, there is no loss of tone on the neck pickup. But I think you should decide based on which guitar has the best features for you and feels the best for you.
IMO 22 Frets is a must. 24 is good though, cos its a whole 2 octaves, makes it easier to understand if your a beginner
RG's & Mesa's
i dearly miss my 24th fret. having 22 frets is the only bad thing about the jackson rr3.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by killerswan
what?

HAHA sorry my keyboard was broken and some of the key were not working
Quote by fronkpies

i once laughed so hard i poo'ed on my auntie's carpet..

nice..
Really, theres no need for 24 frets,
They're just tiny little frets that make your neck scale abit bigger.

My Epi have 22 frets. Love it
My Viper has 24, and theres no need for them.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Really, theres no need for 24 frets,
They're just tiny little frets that make your neck scale abit bigger.

My Epi have 22 frets. Love it
My Viper has 24, and theres no need for them.

Neck scale remains the same you fool! You don't need to change the neck scale to add frets.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead