I was reading through the thread on the Last Shadow Puppets and somebody said "Why would you listen to this when you could listen to The Coral". The comment didn't make much sense to me but thats not the point.

This however is (my point): There is too much emphasis on being "original" and "unique" that I feel everything becomes some what forced. Why does there only have to be like one band per genre to some people? It's like they can only like something if they've never heard it before. People like to focus on hype, gimmicks, and things like that.

I don't know maybe I should have thought more before I went and posted but there you have it. I'm not saying being original is bad by any means. I think its great but I think it's annoying websites like Pitchfork have large sticks shoved up theres asses sometimes and can't accept something for what it is. I think I'm just saying that original does not=good.

Like I said, theres a good chance I'm just in a weird mood.

Maybe this quote helps my case:

"To do a dull thing with style is preferable to doing a dangerous thing without style.
To do a dangerous thing with style, is what I call art."
-Bukowski
I agree with you. Originality does not unnecessarily make something quality, and doing something that has been done before does not retract from it's quality. Of course, there are both instances in which a band drives the same sound into you throughout their discography, which becomes unlistenable after a while, and instances in which a band tries to hard to be original and ends up with a mess.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
There's playing something similar and then there is cloning. I do agree with you that good music should just be considered as good even if its not entirely original but it also annoys me when you hear a band that could be one of a number of bands because of their complete lack of individuality.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I agree with you completely. I turned a friend of mine on to a band I love (porcupine tree) and he wouldn't even give it a chance because they have an odd name.
On the second part, I still agree. Just because your the first person to do something, doesn't make it a good idea, look at socrates. He opens the door for different kinds of htought and what do they do, kill him.