Page 1 of 2
Hi. I've been searching for my dream guitar lately, one meant for metal, hard rock, and their many subgenres. I'm interested in buying a Dime-O-Flame from a friend, but I've been admiring the Ibanez S and SV Prestiges for a while. I've read some reviews, and people say the stock pickups aren't the best. I needed some opinions from people who have dealt with Ibanez (or Dean), so I came here. Anyone got any advice on what type of Ibanez I should get, or information on the Dime-O-Flame?

This is a really cool website, by the way.

\m/
prestige all the way, best guitar for heavy musich available
HiMyNameIsMatt
Me saying this will probably bite me in the ass later when i "strongly" suggest something but anyways... Don't take our word for it go out and try everything before you buy or at the absolute least make sure you can return it.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by surge666
prestige all the way, best guitar for heavy musich available

Yeah, I've seen videos of these things playing on Youtube. They're great. But is there any real difference between S and SV Prestige? I mean, like pickups, tone options, anything?
Im a big fan of Rgs that have Wizard 2 necks.
But thats a personaly prefference.
Id recomend trying out these
-ibanez RG2EX2 [switch out the pups]
-ibanez S
-PRS Double cutaways
-Jackson Dinkys and soloists
-more
RG2 and RG3 models
Quote by BAoxymoron
Me saying this will probably bite me in the ass later when i "strongly" suggest something but anyways... Don't take our word for it go out and try everything before you buy or at the absolute least make sure you can return it.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But I live in the middle of ****ing nowhere, and just to go somewhere these guitars might be available, I'd have to make an (minimum) hour-long drive. Thanks, though.
Last edited by FryingNemo at May 8, 2008,
I would suggest the Ibanez S series guitars, great trem on them and the neck is satin finished so it doesn't have that sticky feel like glossy finishes.

But if you can spend more money go for the prestiege models, beautiful guitars!
Specially the RG made from Ash/neck through.
well from what i've learned on these forums Mid to low end deans sound like ****...And ibanez is god(i think there is a lot of fan boys on here) but i don't have much expierence with ibanez and only have experience with my friends Dean USA (but it has a nail bomb in bridge and a warpig in neck)http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_winter_07/usa/camoenlarged.jpg
that said i'd go with ibanez.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Most of the pickups on Ibanezs aren't great, that I've seen anyways.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Alright, it's down to my three options; Ibanez S520EX, Ibanez RG4EX1, and the Dean Dime-O-Flame. Which do you guys think is better for metal, is best for the money, has better pickups, whammy bar, ect.?
Go for a DEAN Better pups and set neck. Also Mahogany.
The ibanezs in that price range have no where near the same specs.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by FryingNemo
Yeah, I've seen videos of these things playing on Youtube. They're great. But is there any real difference between S and SV Prestige? I mean, like pickups, tone options, anything?

Differences between S and S Prestige guitars...

- You get a free case with Prestige guitars.
- You get Dimarzio / IBZ pickups with S Prestige guitars; people say they are total garbage but I like to argue that they are actually decent sounding pickups. This is subjective, so you have to try them out in store.
- There are only 2 Japanese Prestige S guitars at the moment with 24 frets and a ZRII trem, they are meant to be absolutely amazing. However, there are a few debates regarding sustain on the S5470 guitars, unsure of the results.

SV Prestige guitars on the other hand are Japanese 24 fret guitars with a vintage style tremolo system which is quite different from the typical S guitar.
So would there be any need to change the pickups? From what I've read, Dimebuckers are best in the bridge, so why are they in the neck?
^I'm assuming in the Dean guitars? I'm no Dean expert or fan, but I must say the ones I've played where not that impressive.

Regarding the Dimebucker, general hearsay in UG is that Dimebucker= muddy bollocks, but that could just be the UG bandwagon. The ones that I have tried are a tad mediocre so it's up to you.
what amp have you got? that'll make as big a difference to your metal tones as the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
S Prestige model over the Dime. They have a great tremolo that isn't a bitch to deal with either.

And I'd suggest a new amp as well if you're playing a Frontman Reverb...
Yeah, I have a Frontman Reverb. I was thinking about switching to a Line 6 Spider II, what do you think?
Quote by FryingNemo
Yeah, I have a Frontman Reverb. I was thinking about switching to a Line 6 Spider II, what do you think?

Thats going from bad to worse. Your going to have to spend more than £150 on an amp to get a decent sound. Try spending more around the £400-£500 range.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by FryingNemo

i think you need to figure out how much money you have for the guitar and the line 6 amp, combine it, and split your total budget equally between guitar and amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay well the:
Deans:
have a fast neck, better pickups than ibanez guitars, and a floyd rose (lol godly as long as it is the original tremolo bridge).
choice dean: Dean CFH (doesnt have to be american), or one of the Razorbacks. crazy shape but great quality.
Ibanez:
have a fast neck, imo terrible pickups, and the Edge III or Pro which imo are really good.
choice ibanez: the prestige is sweet **** lol. nice tremolo and fast assed neck. the rg is good too.

have you got your wings yet?
Quote by jigy-i-joe
Thats going from bad to worse. Your going to have to spend more than £150 on an amp to get a decent sound. Try spending more around the £400-£500 range.

Really? I've read some really good reviews in these amps, are they that bad? It may have been a Spider III. What would you suggest?

EDIT: I just checked the amp reviews. It's a Line 6 Spider II 210. Is it that bad?
Last edited by FryingNemo at May 29, 2008,
Roland Cube 30X
Great for Hi-gain man
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by FryingNemo
Really? I've read some really good reviews in these amps, are they that bad? It may have been a Spider III. What would you suggest?

EDIT: I just checked the amp reviews. It's a Line 6 Spider II 210. Is it that bad?

how much money do you have for both guitar and amp? what main types of music do you play?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much money do you have for both guitar and amp? what main types of music do you play?

I expect to have around $1000 by the end of the summer. And my the guitars I want the most right now are either the Ibanez S470 or the Dime-O-Flame.

S470- $500 ( I can find it for less on eBay or something.)
Dime-O-Flame- about $600.
Having the crack dealer who said he would "sell me" the Dime-O-Flame running away with my money AND my guitar- Priceless.

So that would leave me with about $400-$500 to work with.
Last edited by FryingNemo at May 30, 2008,
I play anything that would fall under the "Metal" umbrella term. This includes Darkest Hour, Psychostick, KoRn, SlipKnoT, Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, PanterA, Metallica, and too many more that I can't think of. I play in Drop C or Drop C# usually, and I'm also a distortion *****.
Have you played any Schecter guitars? I find them more comfortable than Ibanez or Dean guitars, and the stock pups are generally better imo.
Quote by imgooley
Have you played any Schecter guitars? I find them more comfortable than Ibanez or Dean guitars, and the stock pups are generally better imo.

No, I actually haven't. I suppose I should, though. A lot of people say they are great for metal. Any specific model you would recommend?
Quote by FryingNemo
No, I actually haven't. I suppose I should, though. A lot of people say they are great for metal. Any specific model you would recommend?

the C-1 Classic is good. The C-1 Hellraiser has emg's in it, so if you want actives, there you go.
Hasn't anybody ever hear of wood before electronics. I'd go balls out for the Ibanez Prestige. They are absolutely amazing guitars. Dean has horrid trouble with quality control. I've never seen so many finish blemishes in all my life, and having it shipped to you is rough--points break. Pickups in the Prestige would be needing a change, but way later in your guitar playing life.

Dimebuckers only go in the bridge. Anybody that would put it in the neck has issues. It won't sound good, and no one has done it to my knowledge. The Dime-O-Flame has a '59 Jazz humbucker in the neck. Don't worry about your amp, yet. You need to get a good guitar and work out your playing style and tone. The guitar is going to bolster your growth faster than splitting your money between a low-midranged guitar and low ranged amp.
Quote by necrophagist!
the s520ex is a very good ibanez. sounds and feels great.

That was actually one of my first choices and still remains a candidate for my dream guitar. But I heard the pickups weren't too great. Now that the Dimebucker has been shot down, can anyone suggest some good pickups for heavy distortion and all kinds of metal?
Quote by FryingNemo
That was actually one of my first choices and still remains a candidate for my dream guitar. But I heard the pickups weren't too great. Now that the Dimebucker has been shot down, can anyone suggest some good pickups for heavy distortion and all kinds of metal?

emgs are the best choice imo.
Quote by aberrant
Hasn't anybody ever hear of wood before electronics. I'd go balls out for the Ibanez Prestige. They are absolutely amazing guitars. Dean has horrid trouble with quality control. I've never seen so many finish blemishes in all my life, and having it shipped to you is rough--points break. Pickups in the Prestige would be needing a change, but way later in your guitar playing life.

Dimebuckers only go in the bridge. Anybody that would put it in the neck has issues. It won't sound good, and no one has done it to my knowledge. The Dime-O-Flame has a '59 Jazz humbucker in the neck. Don't worry about your amp, yet. You need to get a good guitar and work out your playing style and tone. The guitar is going to bolster your growth faster than splitting your money between a low-midranged guitar and low ranged amp.

Amp accounts for far more tone than the guitar or the pickups. If I played a 57 Les Paul through a Spider III, it would still sound like a spider III.

He would be better of getting a decent guitar and a good amp to replace that Frontman of his, especially since he plays heavier music. Schecter C-1 + Valveking + Bad Monkey= good budget metal.
i'd probably get an ibanez s320/470/520 (or one of those schecters, maybe a washburn, perhaps) and a second hand peavey 5150 combo...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by necrophagist!
emgs are the best choice imo.

Any specific model from EMG that works the best?
I just looked at EMG.com, and the 60 and 60A look pretty good. Can anyone suggest any better?
Page 1 of 2