Ok guys, I know this is a noob question, but here it goes: Is there a difference in tone between having a head and cab and having a combo? Thanks to anyone who helps!
dont take my word for it but i think the only differences are that the more speakers the more air being pushed, and the combo is mainly for portability and in home practice while the head and cab is for gigs.
^ i dont think so. you can buy a combo with like 50 watts and it will be just as gigable(just made that up) as a stack. the head i think it just a hassle to carry around and doesnt really improve the tone that much
Cool, thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your help. If anyone else cares to clarify so we're sure, that'd be great. Also, I've read many people connect their combos to their cabs. Is this possible with any combo? Is it as simple as changing the connection from the combo amp to the cab speakers instead of the combo speakers? That would be great cuz it would mean i can get a combo now, and then a cab later on and get a similar sound to what the equivalent head/cab would get... or maybe not?
Quote by ironman1478
^ i dont think so. you can buy a combo with like 50 watts and it will be just as gigable(just made that up) as a stack. the head i think it just a hassle to carry around and doesnt really improve the tone that much

Ahh ok. Thing is, I found a combo and head, and theyre both the same model, they even have the same watts. Its just one of them is a combo, and the other is a head... and I wanted to know what to get.
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it! I think the combo will be best for me then, if it doesn't hurt tone.
Which Head and combo? AT by chance?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
IMO a head and a 4x12 are easier to transport than say a 2x12 combo, and they prevent the tubes from rattling which is a pet peeve of mine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Reildeal
Which Head and combo? AT by chance?

I was actually considering Bugera, but... now I'm not sure. I don't feel I can trust them. Still thinking about it, but it is still nice to know. Thanks guys!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
IMO a head and a 4x12 are easier to transport than say a 2x12 combo, and they prevent the tubes from rattling which is a pet peeve of mine.

Qué?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Well to be honest, 2x12 combos are seriously ****ing heavy. Like no joke. I'd prefer to roll my head on my 4x12 cab around anyday than carry a 2x12.

And the sound head vs. combo varies per amp. In some heads, they make the output transformers bigger in the heads so they get better tone, and in some cases the bias the heads colder than the combos naturally. You really need to play both to get a feel for them.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Qué?

if you turn a high powered tube combo up too loud the speaker makes the tubes shake, which sounds really bad.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you turn a high powered tube combo up too loud the speaker makes the tubes shake, which sounds really bad.

+1

If people have to reinforce the closed back portion of there combo because its rattling or coming loose imagine what its doing to the tubes...