I'm looking to try out a solo acoustic project, and want to record what I've written. I've got no clue how to go about doing so. From what I read, I think I want 2 mics, 1 at the 12th fret of my guitar, and the other for vocals. When I mix it, I want vocals panned left and guitar panned right.

However, I'm a complete novice on recording. How do I get the sound from the mic to my recording program? Which mics and recording program should I use? I'm on a tight budget for now, so no $200 mics for me. And in general, how simple/complex is basic recoring/mixing? Thanks for the info.

Update: Okay, I apologize. I just read the FAQ. So I need a recording interface with two inputs, 2 mics, and recording software (I think...). Any suggestions?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Last edited by Afyum at May 8, 2008,
Don't pan everything like that. Maybe knock the vocals a little to the left and the guitar a little to the right, or put one in the middle and one a little left or right. Don't just bang em to both sides.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Okay. I wasn't sure, I'm just going to wait till I have everything, then play around with it untill I figure it out.

Update: After looking around; here is what I came up with.

E-Mu Xmidi Interface
Guitar Mic
Guitar Mic Cable
Guitar Mic Stand
Vocal Mic Set

As for the recording program, I'm sure limewire and me can work out a deal...
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Afyum at May 8, 2008,
That interface won't do you any good, seeing as it's a MIDI interface, and you need an audio one. For a two input audio interface, try something like the Alesis IO2, or EMU 0202.

Also, I've never used Nady mics, but I've heard really nasty things about them. What's your total budget ?
There is poetry in despair.
Also check out M-Audio and PreSonus and the the MXL 990/991 condenser mic package.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Stealing Software is not encouraged here.
So. . . .
I'm guessing what you meant was, " Im going to go look for some free software like Audacity. Or another program that is actually freeware. "

There are free options. Have fun. Do it legal.

-Ryan
Looks like people round here seem to be really cracking down on this now... getting like studio central.
There is poetry in despair.
yea well its not right to steal...theres plenty of free programs out there to use and you have to give credit to the programs and such...

Anyways, TS try this package:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US144-Interface-and-990991-Mic-Pack-Bundle?sku=241736

It may not be the best but it does work for budget recording and will be much better than running into a stock computer sound card...

Some fair budget gear:

Stand (buy 2)
XLR cable (buy 2). I use 3 of these cables and they work great for me.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 9, 2008,
There are also some very reasonably priced programs out there that are great for the money. For example you can download Cake Walk Music Creator from the Cake Walk website for $40, I think. It's a limited version of Sonar, but it's not really limited in a way that affects home users like us. The only BIG thing I've run into so far with it is not being able to export direct to mp3 without purchasing a plugin. So I just export to WAV and convert with CDex (which is free).

If your're micing a guitar cab check out Shure SM57's for that. If you're needing condensers for vocals and acoustic have a look at the MXL 990/991 package.

Both PreSonus and M-Audio make quality 2 input recording interfaces that are affordable.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
Stealing Software is not encouraged here.
So. . . .
I'm guessing what you meant was, " Im going to go look for some free software like Audacity. Or another program that is actually freeware. "

There are free options. Have fun. Do it legal.

-Ryan

That honestly is what I meant. No lie, I wouldn't steal like that. Seeing as I'm studying to be a programmer, the last thing I want to do is take people's money.

And to moody, thanks. I think I'm definetly going to get exactly what you reccommended. A little higher then what I wanted to spend...but hey. I'll get a lot of use out of it. Doesn't that bundle come with cables though?
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
sure does..and im sure they will work fine.
I always find its best to have one or two backups cables on hand though just in case anything breaks down and I dont have time to solder the connections back on.