Page 1 of 3
Not being able to sing is p0nx style!
Hell, if ya wanna sing in a punk band, you don't even have to sing into the microphone!
If American put on a fake English accent
If English put on a fake American accent.
seems to be the standard way of it these days.
Oh lawd!
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I prefer clean punk vocals. I reccomend listening to pennywise, bad religion, and some of the ramones.
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
Imitate Tim Armstrong.

NO SRSLY yell at the top of your lungs.

NO SRSLY just sing powerchords lulz thats all punk iz

I could go on...
Last edited by werty22 at May 8, 2008,
I can't get my voice to sound that way... I'm aiming for a Glenn Danzig style
Quote by paulvxD

good luck
Quote by paulvxD

*Elvis Noises* Whoa oh
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by paulvxD

take up yodeling
Don't try to imitate somebody's voice, it ends up horrible. Just shout and how it comes out is how it comes out, don't try to imitate though. Also, everybody needs to chat.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
You can add an edge to it, just don't try to make it something it's not.
What i recommend for punk singing is to sing fast, not necessarily rough, but if thats what you are going for then do it. Also when you are playing live shows, move around, shake up the crowd, have lots of energy. Having lots of energy is good for when you are recording too, nobody likes to here a boring singer.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
If you sound like a whiney bitch, sing like a whiney bitch. If you have a big black man voice, sing like a black man. If you sound like Danzig, sing like Danzig.

Be yourself. *-)
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by paulvxD
Eh, my voice sounds lame :[

You're in eighth grade. You should probably wait until you go through puberty before you start singing.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by Ska Wars
You're in eighth grade. You should probably wait until you go through puberty before you start singing.

Actually, my voice is quite deep for my age
Quote by lagunasunrise
If you sound like a whiney bitch, sing like a whiney bitch. If you have a big black man voice, sing like a black man. If you sound like Danzig, sing like Danzig.

Be yourself. *-)

Get into to chat, I haven't seen you in a while!
Quote by lagunasunrise

Be yourself. *-)

agreed, trying to sing something you're not, usually doesnt sound good
Manifest your anger and socail alienation through your voice and it should be fine.

Punk rockers yell.
Punk rockers scream.
Punk rockers sing.

However it comes out will work, just have energy and be genuine.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
I actually can sing. Well. I was sort of given the 'gift' of being a great singer.

Which would be great...if I were into anything besides punk.

Now I try singing along to Leftover Crack with my clean vocals and feel stupid.

At least I do well when I sing the entire length of "Red-Eyed Soul" on a nightly basis. Dammit that record never stops spinning.

Guess I either have to go into orchestral punk or folk punk.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Steps for singing punk:

1. Grab Microphone
2. Plug Mic into PA
3. Learn Lyrics
4. Scream
5. ???
6. Profit
First, you need to force your voice to get unnaturally scratchy. Scratchy so you'll damage your voice so bad that you'll have to get throat surgery.

Then you make one of the greatest albums of all time.

A little voice that's not quite your own.
Count backwards from ten.
Yellow jelly shot hard in vein.
I want to talk to you again.
"This is Jennings, your anesthetist."
"We think we'll go in through the mouth."
Quote by Greenfinger182
I actually can sing. Well. I was sort of given the 'gift' of being a great singer.

At least I do well when I sing the entire length of "Red-Eyed Soul" on a nightly basis. Dammit that record never stops spinning.

Haha join the club; My clean vocals sound incredibly....weird....when singing along to Punk stuff.....so i had to content myself with backing vocals
f you're a good singer, try going Poly Styrene style, she was trained operatically but still sang punk
I can sort of sing, but I don't have enough power, which pisses me off
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
stay in pitch. and instead of aiming high for the intensed parts, push your voice forward to have that rough effect
Well, singing with a scratchy Tom Waits-esque growly style simply takes practice. Cigarettes and beer don't hurt, but I've heard sXe kids sing like that too. Practice.

Singing like danzig requires a certain voice. If you have the voice for it, go for it. I think I've got a pretty good voice for imitating danzig. If I really wanted to, I could practice and definitely sing in that style. I actually have no inclination to sing like danzig, however.

But the best advice has already been given; sing with your own voice. Don't try to imitate anyone. If you're young, your voice is still developing. The point is to practice - both singing clean and 'screaming.' Hitting the right notes is more important than having the character in your voice that you want. The character will come naturally.
Just copy Tim Armstrong.

He basically just sounds like a retard.

Sargasm, I doubt you could sing like Danzig without retaining that preppy emotive thing you've got going on.

Seriously guys, you don't need to put on a voice to do punk, I realise this now, and am finding my own style. Be yourself

Oh, it's worth mentioning that most people will never develop a vocal character.
I sound like a whiney bitch when I sing clean. My voice is deep, but with no power to it whatsoever. So I tried doing the raspy punk vocals thing, starting with my last band, and it really hurts my throat.

I need to make my voice sound good somehow, because I decided a long time ago that singer/guitarist was the only position I could play in a band and have any chance at success.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I've been trying to find my punk voice, still... it's just a lot of singing along to different bands and figuring out which bands you sound best with since you tend to unknowingly emulate the singer's voice to some extent when you sing along to their songs. For example, I can't sing Subhumans or Flux of Pink Indians without donning a fake british accent.

I've found that yelling helps a lot for me. Not really screaming, just yelling. More power to it.
Quote by Greenfinger182

I would give a whole lot to have a voice like Jack's.
When I sing I like to turn the PA down so I'm forced to half yell into the mic. It gives my voice a kind of natural overdrive that sounds both agressive and melodic at the same time
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by StreetLight3989
I would give a whole lot to have a voice like Jack's.

No joke, I love Terricloth. I don't know if my voice is quite that good, but I sing in a choir sort-of thing, with the deep sort of vocals he uses. I love singing along to his songs.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by Greenfinger182
No joke, I love Terricloth. I don't know if my voice is quite that good, but I sing in a choir sort-of thing, with the deep sort of vocals he uses. I love singing along to his songs.

That's really cool, I can't get my voice like his, but I wish I could. I have sort of a higher voice.
As far as relating my voice to other singers, I'd say that in my Modal register I sound kinda like Joe King and in my Falsetto (with my voice overdriven as previously mentioned) I sound kinda like a mix between Ben Weasel and Tony Cadena
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Page 1 of 3