As the title implies, i'm looking for a good Gibson LP Standard alternative. I want a Gibson, but even the Studios are too pricy for me. I started looking at the ESP LTD EC-500, but i'm not really sure if i want the EMGs, i don't really play that much metal at all. I'm really into alternative/hard rock, so i think those pickups would be a little far from my genres. So, are there any other alternatives to the LPs, in good price ranges?
O O

___
epiphone's.if you've got enough cash the elitist.or,alternatively,the epiphone prophecy lp with dirty fingers. that should be cool for you.
You always have the EC-400
and the EC-100 ASB
They both have a Duncan JB-'59 combo. That's a great setup for anything.

But then you have Fernandes Monterey. Which I personally liek better than the ESP, jsut because of the sustainer.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
fernandes. not to well known but very good.
....................................................................................................................................................................................
take a look at Agile's Dauntless or AL series. They're great quality versatile guitars for the $200-$300 price-range, and play like high-end Epiphones.

edit: they're all somewhere over on www.rondomusic.com
Last edited by FireandFlames at May 8, 2008,
Epiphone Elitist, Tokai, or ESP (they have a lot of models which use passive pickups) are your best bets.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Only thing I can recommend from experience is the Ibanez ART300. It's unique looking and both models I played were pretty well put together for the price point(less than $500). Not a fan of active pups but they were okay.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Only thing I can recommend from experience is the Ibanez ART300. It's unique looking and both models I played were pretty well put together for the price point(less than $500). Not a fan of active pups but they were okay.

I actually checked out some of the Ibanez Artist series when I was looking for a Les Paul styled guitar. They were nice, well built and reasonably priced. I ended up spending more on my Elitist as I really wanted a tru Les Paul not a LP inspired design. The Artist was a nice guitar though if you're not totally hung up on having a LP.
Tokai and other Japanese quality brands
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by TheBax
As the title implies, i'm looking for a good Gibson LP Standard alternative. I want a Gibson, but even the Studios are too pricy for me. I started looking at the ESP LTD EC-500, but i'm not really sure if i want the EMGs, i don't really play that much metal at all. I'm really into alternative/hard rock, so i think those pickups would be a little far from my genres. So, are there any other alternatives to the LPs, in good price ranges?

LTD offers also their EC models with passive pickups, Seymour Duncans. Check out LTDs and Tokais
Quote by Ippon
True, although the mint, used ones can get pricey ...

This is from a guy who really dosn't like LP's...

*DROOL

In other news...TS, check out Agile, Hamer, and Ibanez for alternatives to a Gibson in the twin humbucker mahagony sey-neck guitar catagory.
As recommended, a nice Japanese replica. A Tokai, Burny, Orville, Edwards etc. I'm a fan of Tokai myself.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by R_H_C_P
Tokai and other Japanese quality brands

+1

Quote by Wakisazhi
Agiles>>>Every other suggestion in the thread.

gtfo
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would seriously question the quality of any guitar that sells for $200.00. I used to work at a music store many years ago and I doubt if things have changed that much since. The price of a guitar is marked up anywhere up to 40% from Dealar Cost. That means a $200 guitar was manufactured and sold to the Dealer for probably no more than $150 max. Since the Manufacturer must also make a profit the cost of producing the guitar will be even less than the $150. This cost includes, raw materials, hardware, pickups, finishing and paying people to perform these steps. If you take away the cost of even the cheapest PUs and hardware you'll see the guitar cost less than $100 to build. Such a guitar may look OK but quality of woods chosen, workmanship and even accuracy of design are become suspect. Cheap woods won't age well and serious defects can occur over a short time as they age. You really need to break the $300-400 barrier to get something that should work well and hold up. That's why the Epis do well as they are generally in the $500+ range and provide decent value for the price.
Quote by Wakisazhi
Agiles>>>Every other suggestion in the thread.

Right....

For the money, the Agiles AL series are good guitars, and Kurt is extremely customer service oriented so if you get a lemon he is always happy to replace the guitar for you at no cost.................but once we start talking in the price range of a Les Paul Standard, there are certainly much better guitars. And many have been listed in previous posts.

So no, Agiles are not ">>>> every other suggestion in the thread."
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube