Ive been listening to alot of nevermore lately. I used to think that seven strings were a fad for hardcore bands to make heavier breakdowns but he has changed my mind. I was wondering though what are some of the pros and cons of a 7 string in relation to a six string? If basses can damage guitar amps wouldn't 7 strings have that same capability? Anything else I should know?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

mmmm well 7 strings are slightly harder to play and a little more of a hassle to buy strings for
Pros- Able to go alot lower than what would be possible on a normal 6 string. More tonal range. Sexier looking, (in my opinion)

Cons- Takes longer to change strings. Have to get used to the larger neck.

You can do alot with a 7 string, its not just about quick break downs. You have more tonal range, therefor you can do tons of different things.

And no a 7 string cannot damage a guitar amp. The only way I could see it is if you bought larger strings for it, tuned it way down to say, drop E and played loud. (F# tuning even sounds uber low to me)

If you like super low tunings then get one. They make 6 strings feel insignificant after playing a 7.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I love my seven string. There are few things I prefer to play on a six. (Chord oriented covers, especially. I can fit the seventh string into my own music, though.)
I think 7 strings are only worth it if your into death metal and jazz. That way you dont have to tune to BEADF#B and your in BEADGBE as standard. So you can still play melodically
Quote by StealthyHayze
I think 7 strings are only worth it if your into death metal and jazz. That way you dont have to tune to BEADF#B and your in BEADGBE as standard. So you can still play melodically

If youre going to be tuning to B/E/A/D/F#/b, then just go buy a Baritone guitar like I did. Most Baritones come with the standard tuning of B/E/A/D/F#/B, if not, then it would be in A-a tuning.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.