Three travelers are walking down a deserted road. They need a place to stay for the night, because it's getting dark. They stumble upon a farm.

They ask the farmer if they can stay out in the barn overnight, and he gladly says yes. But, the farmer wants $10 from each of them. So they agree, paying a total of $30.

Later on that night, he's thinking, and he decides that he's asked for too much, so he'll give some back. He calls over his son, and tells him to give them these 5 loonies ($1 pieces for non Canadian folk).

On the way to the barn, the son realizes that he can't split the 5 loonies three ways, so he decides to keep two of the loonies for himself, only giving back $3 (one dollar to each of the three men).

That means that each man has paid $9, totaling $27, and the boy has $2, totaling $29.

Where has the last dollar gone to?
Old, I remember this exact question asked a while ago.

Not trying to be a dick or anything...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I'm sure I can say with absolute certainty there has definitely never been a thread with this very question posted before in the history of UG or even the internet.
Quote by smb
I'm sure I can say with absolute certainty there has definitely never been a thread with this very question posted before in the history of UG or even the internet.

Yeah, I'm quite certain it has. Maybe not a farmer and three guys but the same question...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by smb

i heard this question before except instead of a farm, it involved a hotel
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by Thornography
Three travelers are walking down a deserted road. They need a place to stay for the night, because it's getting dark.

Hold on Im goin to stop you there - am i right that, then Dave Grohl comes out and plays the guitar while dressed as the devil?

Heard that one.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
That's just bad math.

Each man paid 10. The farmer decided to give 5 back. Thus the farmer still has $25, and the son is currently holding $5. $3 goes back to the guys, $2 stays with the son. All money accounted for.
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
Quote by Våd Hamster
Not you too.

Your calcus is wrong.

total = 30

3 for each and 2 for him = 5

5+25 = 30

Way to spoil it. -.-
Quote by rat ears
nice try pig F****er

Whatever you say.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Not my fault you can't count

I can to count! Meh, when the problem is worded like that, lots of people get confused.
Quote by Gabbastard
Hold on Im goin to stop you there - am i right that, then Dave Grohl comes out and plays the guitar while dressed as the devil?

Heard that one.

"This is just a tribute...You got to beleive me!"

nice connection
There was another brain teaser like this containing a hotel room, and a maid I think....

Each person paid 10$, and got 3$ back, meaning they paid each 9$...
The boy hold 2$, and since the room's price was 25$, 27-2=25

The question is not to count to reach 30$, but to reach 25$. Counting to reach 30$ would be:
they paid 9$ each=27$ plus the 3$ the guy returned to them, which equals 30$...

Didn't you post one about series some time ago?
Did you solve it?
Quote by rat ears
nice try pig F****er

Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
HA!
You said it costed 30 bucks, right?
they each paid 10?
after awhile you said they they then pay 9 after they actually paid 10.

I WIN!
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
Quote by gonzaw
There was another brain teaser like this containing a hotel room, and a maid I think....

Each person paid 10$, and got 3$ back, meaning they paid each 9$...
The boy hold 2$, and since the room's price was 25$, 27-2=25

The question is not to count to reach 30$, but to reach 25$. Counting to reach 30$ would be:
they paid 9$ each=27$ plus the 3$ the guy returned to them, which equals 30$...

Didn't you post one about series some time ago?
Did you solve it?

I did post other math questions, but I don't know why you mean by series (Grade 11 math here). If I'm thinking about the one that I think you might be thinking about, then no, I didn't solve it.

If you're talking about the one with the square and 4 points, that one I did solve.
Wow. Surprisingly, UG can deal with basic number brain teasers.

I expected far less from the community as a whole.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
The one dollar goes to the government.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Thornography
I did post other math questions, but I don't know why you mean by series (Grade 11 math here). If I'm thinking about the one that I think you might be thinking about, then no, I didn't solve it.

If you're talking about the one with the square and 4 points, that one I did solve.

Yeah, that math one about series (it was c0+2c1-3c2+4c3+... if I remember)...
What would be Grade 11? I know sh*t about educationa convertions
I know that if the sequence is infinite you should do a serie but I don't know how to do them cause I don't actually know it (I just googled it, and appears to be it).
If the sequence is not infinite, meaning there is an "n" number from where you use the sumatorie (sigma if I remember), then you should use complete inductive thinking to show that they are true....
IF they are infinite or not I don't know cause you didn't specify...

The square one was impossible I think, at least with the hipothesys and thesis you gave (if the extensions of the square pass through the points then it is possible I think, all you have to do is use Thales teorem, and some angles and diametres stuff)..
------
25 paid + 3 each of the guys got + 2 the kid took = $30

You suck at math.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
ok so each man pays 10 dollars. totally $30. the son has $5

they each get $1 back, so they each pay $9 and and the son has 2. it adds up to 29 because the extra 5 dollars has nothing to do with the original $30.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah