hi today my band teacher asked me to try out for jazzband and asked me to learn a song, i was wondering if you could give me suggestions on a song to learn tmr, nothing too hard but nothing too easy

thnks in advance
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Ask to borrow your Teacher's Real Book and learn one of the melodies from that. One that looks to be challenging, but not impossible. Since I can see into the future I know people will come in here and recommend YYZ or Roundabout or some other difficult ROCK song. Rock does not impress a jazz band director. Jazz does.
i have to learn a song for tmr so i cant get the book
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
A taste of Honey, by Tijuana Brass... thats impressive... if you can nail both guitar and bass even better
i believe you're screwed, unless you can learn a song in less than 24 hours. haha.
It is impractical, in my opinion, to expect a high school kid to perfect a song for an audition in less than a day. That's stupid. There is no learning a song with no resources for music that is going to impress a band director in the time he's got. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it's true. I recommend that the threadstarter tries his best to get a song of some description down, but if not go to your director and tell him the problem. Another might be to forget what I said earlier and just play a rock song you know.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It is impractical, in my opinion, to expect a high school kid to perfect a song for an audition in less than a day. That's stupid. There is no learning a song with no resources for music that is going to impress a band director in the time he's got. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it's true. I recommend that the threadstarter tries his best to get a song of some description down, but if not go to your director and tell him the problem. Another might be to forget what I said earlier and just play a rock song you know.

Hey, Miles Davis used to give his band songs hours before recording, to get a fresh sound to it. I'm not saying this guy should be Paul Chambers, I'm just saying, it's not impossible. I used to shoot womp rats from my T-16 back home, and they're only about 2 meters across.

What were we talking about?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Yeah, Miles Davis also had some of the best musicians in the world playing with him. His rhythm section is widely considered one of the best in history and his horns aren't much worse. No offence to the threadstarter, but I doubt he's a world class musician who could prepare for an audition the night before, starting from scratch. Like I said before, maybe perfect a song you've learnt previously that is somewhat impressive at least.
Just walk a standard jazz bass line when he asks what song it is act indignant and say "How haven't you heard this song?" and walk away.
Anything rockabilly. If you don't have an upright (I doubt you do), that's fine, but stuff by Lee Rocker (Stray Cats) and Jimbo Wallace (The Reverend Horton Heat) are bound to impress. You could also do psychobilly, but basically anything that has a jazz/blues influence.

Are you going to audition with other band members or solo? If it's solo, definitely show good techinique. You dont want the guy to think, "Well, at least the brass would drown the bass out if I turn the amp down".
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
happy birthday.

serious!
it's easy, you can change keys painlessly, and if you go the extra step and the many more part, it's priceless.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Plus one to jazzy. And for future reference, dont put your audition preparation off until the night before. For big auditions, I start preparing about 2 months before the actual audition.
Quote by deknisely
i believe you're screwed, unless you can learn a song in less than 24 hours. haha.

****, I do it all the time. You just have to practice it like a banshee...
I'd have to suggest Driver 8 by REM- I know REM's rock, but it's kind of got a jazz-y feel to it. Not to mention it's got a great bass line and shouldn't be too hard to learn in a day, though it might not be challenging enough.
my director gave me the weekend to learn the song so i have 2 days to learn one
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
he didnt give me the book =(
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
where can i get an Autumn Leaves tab?
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
Quote by thevoidguitar1
I'll second that.

And a third, even though I have played that song so many times I am sick to death of it. Its a jazz standard and leaves (sorry for the pun) room for a variety of interpretations.

Tab?!? if you are looking for a chord chart you can find one here:

http://www.8notes.com/chord_chart/autumn_leaves.asp
take five... itll make you look good because its in 5/4, has a swing rhythm that takes a little thinking, and has a run in the 4th section thats pretty cool... also its a standard
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Better Get Hit in Your Soul - Charles Mingus.

24 Bar Bass solo at the intro, and it's a Mingus piece so you have to love it! Plus it's in 3/4 so you'll look cool doing that, and it has a few syncopated rhythms in it. Also it acts like a 4/4 piece so you still have that walking feel in about 3 of the 4 solo sections.
Quote by rambelpalsis
where can i get an Autumn Leaves tab?

If you need tabs, you might find that you have some trouble in a jazz band, friend.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.