So I'm a major GNR fan, obviously, and I'm a guitarist, so by default I love Slash. Well recently I've really been listening to Slash's snakepit more often and really giving their songs a good listen, and I've gotta say, I think I like them more then Guns N' Roses. I mean they only have 2 albums compared to Guns N' Roses which has essentially 5, so there's not as much material to listen to. And although I love almost every Guns N' Roses song, Slash's Snakepit is just.. I dnno it's basically Guns N' Roses at it's bluesiest with a great vocalist that isn't axl rose.. which is both a good thing and a bad thing, axl's vocals are amazing, but admittedly can get annoying.

My comparison of the two would be that Slash's Snakepit is much more bluesy and less 80's sounding than Guns N' Roses, but then again the lyrics are somewhat lacking, and the songs aren't as... epic sounding, which is.. I think the reason that they never really had a big hit song. But honestly Slash's Snakepit is amazing and they never got much praise for some reason.

So what do you guys think? Maybe some of you GNR fans haven't heard Snakepit before, if that's the case look up songs like: Dimestore Rock, Monkey Chow, Beggars & Hangers On, or Some City Ward and then tell me your opinion, and to those who are fans of both already, what do you think? Guns N' Roses or Snakepit?
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
i like GNR too, and ive only listened to one of SS's songs, Neither can I, but it was awesome!
I personally think the vocalist change was good, no offense to axl, but the new guy has a cool voice too, choosing between them is too hard, i cant decide
Quote by Ebucra
i like GNR too, and ive only listened to one of SS's songs, Neither can I, but it was awesome!
I personally think the vocalist change was good, no offense to axl, but the new guy has a cool voice too, choosing between them is too hard, i cant decide

Ya the vocal difference between the 2 bands can be somewhat of a relief. And ya it's hard to chose, I dnno I think SS has some amazing riffage going on, moreso than most GNR songs, which is why I love SS.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
I personnaly love "Shine", greta song. Great singer, looks a bit like Slash. Can't find any of their albumes.... :-( Why didn't they continue? SS was much better than VR, between thier singer and Scott Weiland, no comparison.....
Quote by zObiPhiOn
Why didn't they continue? SS was much better than VR, between thier singer and Scott Weiland, no comparison.....

Exactly! I dont realy like scott, and VR only has 1 or 2 good songs, and SS is awesome!
I really like Ain't Life Grand, there isn't one song I hate or just skip past.

I haven't really listened to Its 5o'clock Somewhere that much, but Monkey Chow is really cool, and I'm learning the solo to it at the moment.

I really like the differences between the two Snakepit singers as well. Lyrics obviously aren't Slash's strong point, but he does know how to write a good riff.
i liked all of them i could listen to this over and over so i give this singer a 10
slash is a god
i wear a bandanna out of my pocket and it was stolen today so i gotta get another one yippie for me
Last edited by ahriman_dk at May 15, 2008,
Ha i love slash's snakepit too, my favorite song is "Be The Ball" i just think its epic.
Snakepit was fun, but there was nothing classic about it. I always welcome a new record from Slash, but the Snakepit stuff had some seriously low lows, though it had some pretty blazin' highs as well.
Quote by CT32
Snakepit was fun, but there was nothing classic about it. I always welcome a new record from Slash, but the Snakepit stuff had some seriously low lows, though it had some pretty blazin' highs as well.

Ya I agree, Snakpeit's stuff is awesome with great riffs and all, but there's no epic classics like what Guns N' Roses has. Although IMO "Beggars and Hangers" had the potential to be a classic if it had been embraced as such. But ya all the other songs for the most part aren't meant to be classics they're meant to be fun blues rock songs.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Neither can I is a ****ing awesome song.

If anything, the singer from this band should front Velvet Revolver
i love slash's snakepit my favs are doin fine and something about your love. wish tye'd kept going!!
i'll keep on moving along with no time to plant my feet
Quote by GNRrocka
Ya I agree, Snakpeit's stuff is awesome with great riffs and all, but there's no epic classics like what Guns N' Roses has. Although IMO "Beggars and Hangers" had the potential to be a classic if it had been embraced as such. But ya all the other songs for the most part aren't meant to be classics they're meant to be fun blues rock songs.

Shine??

to me that ranks up there in the pantheon with Paradise City, Sweet Child o Mine, November Rain and Nightrain
Their first album was called its five o clock somwhere, it didnt had much triumph as their secound album.

After slashs snakepit came slashs blues ball, slashs blues ball was great! they did a really nice cover of the hootchie hootchie man.

................./´ /)........./¯ //
..............,/¯// ........./...//
............./...//. ......./¯ //
.........../´¯/'´ ¯/´¯ /.../ /
........./'.../... ./... /.../ //
........('(...´(... ....... ,../'. .')
.........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
............\....... ..... ..(
..............\..... ..... ....
UPWARD STROKES ARE FOR LOOSERS.
snakepit is a great band. my favorite song is dime store rock, but i always think how it would have sounded if axl was on vocals. Be the ball, neither can i and serial killer are also great songs
Quote by ahriman_dk
i liked all of them i could listen to this over and over so i give this singer a 10
slash is a god
i wear a bandanna out of my pocket and it was stolen today so i gotta get another one yippie for me

I tie 'Em to the side of my Jeans - So just more difficult to steal , and TBH it looks kinda similar
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
slash is cool. hes got more feel than technique and i really respect that. he is so overrated though, his fans are so ignorant and vain.
^... Okay, put my foot in it somewhat with that last one, so can't exactly respond As a band, i reckoned Snake-pit was pretty solid - I liked songs like 'Be the Ball' and 'Doin' Fine', although TBH I agree - there isn't a bad song on there, even if the lyrics are the weakest aspect (At least with 'its' 5 o-clock somewhere' anyway... Whats the case with Ain't life grand? Took me long enough to find the first album! And tbh they're practically two different bands anyway)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Ebucra
Exactly! I dont realy like scott, and VR only has 1 or 2 good songs, and SS is awesome!

hmmm thats what i thought at first but then i realised VR are actually amazing, listen to songs like Slither, Sucker Train Blues, Get Out The Door, Fall To Pieces and American Man and you will see why....
Quote by YoHendrix
hmmm thats what i thought at first but then i realised VR are actually amazing, listen to songs like Slither, Sucker Train Blues, Get Out The Door, Fall To Pieces and American Man and you will see why....
I personally like She Builds Quick Machines. Downloading Dime Store Rock right now.
slash is definatly my idol. he is awesome lead player his sound is magnificent. does anyone know amp settings for his sound
Been a GnR fan since 91/92 and I can't say Slash's Snakepit ever did anything for me - even when I saw them at Donington 95. They weren't bad, just nothing special.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
I have 'It's 5 o clock Somewhere.' Would anyone recommend getting 'Ain't Life Grand?'
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Quote by Perpetual Burn
I have 'It's 5 o clock Somewhere.' Would anyone recommend getting 'Ain't Life Grand?'

Yer same as. Think I might buy it anyway!

SS are awesome MAJOR Riffage going down there!!!

I know Slash has just released a line of his own guitars but I still love the SS LP that was released. I gonna buy one, one day a Gibson with the snake going up the neck. ummmmmmm
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
Last edited by BTKA at Jul 31, 2008,
No one in England knows how the fuck Guns N Roses are bar Sweet Child, so Snakepit is right out.

I think they're awesome though. Got 5 O'Clock Somewhere off Ebay for £3. Awesome. Dover is a great singer, and Slash rips it up as per usual. Back And Forth Again, Good To Be Alive, Beggars And Hangers On, and the Be The Ball solo =

Got Ain't Life Grand imported from the USA. Oh, it's sexy. Coolest CD art ever IMO (Whoever thought of putting a ****ing top hat on a snake was a genius). Been There Lately, Serial Killer, Speed Parade, The Alien, Rusted Heroes = more

Buy them NOW. Combined, cost me under £10, and well woth it.

Has anyone heard Rod Jackson live? Jesus, he's terrible. Think dog in blender.
Is Rusted Heroes on Ain't Life Grand? Bonus track or something?
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Quote by Wasp
Is Rusted Heroes on Ain't Life Grand? Bonus track or something?

Yup. Rusted Heroes & Something About Your Love are bonus tracks on ALG.
Quote by hitl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzb0KMFymsE&feature=related

anyone know the name of this song/jam? i would really need a tab for the main bass riff

I think it's just a jam. Doesn't sound like a song.

Anyway, I transcribed the main bass part, I Think you should be able too figure the other parts out.

It's E Phrygian Btw.

H.           E  E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E    E   
G||---------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----||
D||---------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|-----||
A||------------------7--|--L--7-----5--7--5--7--8--|--L--8--7--7--5-----5--7--|--L--||
E||---------------------|--------7-----------------|-----------------7--------|-----||

L = hold the note (tie)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 13, 2009,
I frikking love this band i hoped the 2nd SS line up would still be around.
Dont really like VR that much dunno wy :/
Just love the vibe from Ain't Life Grand and 5 o clock somewere is great as well.
My favorites are Just Like Anything, Ain't Life Grand, Soma City Ward and Back and Forth Again ^^