Page 1 of 2
My rant for the day. I want to know how everyone feels about this topic, not just those who post in the political thread.

There is no escaping/hiding the fact that the world has began a downward spiral into the depths of a full blown recession. Led by the US stock market and housing prices, more and more money and assets are flooding all western markets. As more and more money comes into countries, prices invariatably go up and up for even the most basic necessities. But if we have more money then we can afford to pay higher prices correct? NO! Because that money is no circling hands. The divide between the rich and the poor is blowing way out of proportion. The more money the rich get, the less the poor get. the more money that country has, the higher the prices of everything. In short, we are screwed.

We live in a materialistic world where what was important is going out the door in western civilisation. Family divorce rates are at an all time high, child births are happening latter and later in life as people focus on money rather than family first. 20-30 years ago, a family could live very comfortably off a single income. Now we are struggling even with 2 careers. SEX IS SUPREME. Sex is everywhere, it advertises cars, clothes and even chocolate bisucits and cans of coke. This look but don't touch society western culture seams to hold gets worse and worse every month. To the point were 14 and 15 year old girls are used as sex symbols to sell the latest fashion. And we wonder why divorce rates are so high when both genders (mainly males) are constantly bombarded with what could have been. Not happy with you current wife and kids? Why not ditch them and find a nice 19 year old?

Democracy is non-existant. When over half the population of a country (according to AC neilson polls) is against going to war in iraq but the big man up top decides anyway, do we really have a democracy. To me it seams far more like an aristocracy. One group rules the many. And who gets to be that man? Could it be me? NOPE, why? because my views do not allign with those of either major political party in Australia. And what about multi layered voting? If i vote for the greens, they then give their preference to abother party and as a result my vote. In Victoria, a 'family first' member was eleced WITH JUST 2% OF THE PRIMARY VOTE! How is this a democracy? No western civilisation is any better.

Whats free anymore? If you want proper health care, you pay for it. If you want proper education, you pay for it. Sure, in Australia at least, you can get public health care. That is ofcourse if you want to wait a year to have your infected right finger looked at. Public education is also available here, but the majority of the final years (the ones that matter) are focused on getting you into another school that you have to pay for. Or failing that, throwing you into a trade...One which you didnt even consider until you saw the 6 digit figure that you could get after just 5 years of work.

MONEY MONEY MONEY. Thats what it comes down to. We are obsessed with it. there is always something better. In the words of George Bush "It is your duty, as an American, to shop". Yeah great! Lets build a stronger economy, furthur seperate the divide between poor and wealthy and push western society into a harder recession than ever experienced before. Who wants to own a house when they die? thats the dream isnt it, All you have to do is find a way to repay a 40 year home loan and still maintain living standards for you family. Not an easy thing to do.

Just get ready ready guys. Because what we have grown up living in is about to change and change dramatically. We do have a choice but. We could revolt...we could overthrow the system of materiality. Economy would plummit, but our quality of life would rise.

MAJOR EDIT: OIL! dont get me started on oil! How many hands does it pass through before it gets to the consumer? And even after all that, they plonk the prices up just before weekends to suck the most money possible out of consumers! But why do they do it? they are multi million dollar companies with political links left right and center. Each year they are reportadly increaing their businesses by 15-20%. So why the hell do they need more money?
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Last edited by Chadicus at May 8, 2008,
up da p0nx?

Also, you're Australian didn't your President get pwned by Barack Obama?
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Last edited by Ach-med at May 8, 2008,
wall of text=NOT FUN

summarize plz?
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Our economy is in a downward spiral for the most part. Gas is aproaching $4 a gallon. No matter what, materialism will always be here. As will sex selling stuff. Its a basic human reaction. After 9/11, alot of people wanted to go to war. After they saw what Bush did, ansd that people die in wars, they started to oppose it. As with almost every president, as his term went on, his approval rating went down. The divorce thing is getting pretty bad, ill have to admit. Altho not everyone can just ditch a wife and get someone younger. Only rich people. And thats just society's fault. Materialism has always been around, and it always will be. In a way, materialism drives the economy, the free enterprise system, and pretty much all civilisation. IMO, that is.
i must say, good rant

tl;dr : everything sucks and were ****ed
Call me Jack
Welcome to 1968.
Come on back when ya got something new ok.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Dude...I want to ****in kill someone now. And for the George Bush Quote, I FUKING hate him. I totally wish he was not the president of my country. He is so stupid he cant even freakin read a speech, much less run a god dam country!
wall of text...
DO NOT WANT!
you're right though...just gotta learn to summarize.
Quote by iron_maiden97
wall of text=NOT FUN

summarize plz?

No problem....

RECESSION = BAD
RECESSION = LOSS OF OUR CURRENT LIFESTLY
RECESSION = HAPPEN VERY SOON
OVERALL PURPOSE = WE ARE F*CKED
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
That, I must say, was actually a very well-crafted and coherent rant, not to mention the fact that most of your points are dead-in.

Having said that, we are indeed ****ed.
kill all humans
Music is the only that makes sense anymore...
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
you read like you think you are very smart.

i dont see it.

especially democracy and the economy. those were the worst. other than that it was just unoriginal, not just downright wrong.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Jackal58
Welcome to 1968.
Come on back when ya got something new ok.

We have way more problems. The oil age is ending, thats a big enough problem by itself.
We're only strays.
How to get rid of the gas problem....

Build nuclear power plants so we can use fusion to run our cars on hydrogen.

Quote by metaldud536
Thats why you stock up on super potions before a Gym battle with a gym leader.

Or we can just do this.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Zugunruhe
you read like you think you are very smart.

i dont see it.

especially democracy and the economy. those were the worst. other than that it was just unoriginal, not just downright wrong.

I think i am educated in these topics, not necessarily smart.

But you can't see what is happening to western civillisation? I can't speak for america and England because i only have public media to base my claim on, but in Australia is very obvious that we are about to slip into a recession. Houses are unafforable to all but the rich. Rental rates are increasing dramatically with almost half of australians now renting property. I do know for a fact that if i can see the signs of the future in Australia, then the US and England have already started to feel these pressures, months before they became noticable here in Australia.

And no, my thoughts are not original. But that does not mean that they have any less meaning. My thoughts are taken from what i have been taught by the media, parents, public school, the bachelors degree in politics and business comunications i am currently undergoing and my experience in life in gerenal. Its fine if you want to turn a blind eye to what is about to happen, but i refuse to. We are crashing faster than ever before.

OPEN YOU EYES, THEN YOU CAN OPEN YOUR MOUTH
Quote by mattvl
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
We have way more problems. The oil age is ending, thats a big enough problem by itself.

Have you endured gas rationing and lines around the block. I have
The "oil age" started "ending" when Drake pumped the first barrel out of the ground in 1872.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by metaldud536

haha

But yeah... Good rant
Quote by Chadicus

And no, my thoughts are not original. But that does not mean that they have any less meaning. My thoughts are taken from what i have been taught by the media, parents, public school, the bachelors degree in politics and business comunications i am currently undergoing and my experience in life in gerenal. Its fine if you want to turn a blind eye to what is about to happen, but i refuse to. We are crashing faster than ever before.

dont believe what the media tells you
Quote by Jackal58
Have you endured gas rationing and lines around the block. I have
The "oil age" started "ending" when Drake pumped the first barrel out of the ground in 1872.

You knew Drake!?

lol j/k

Well thats somewhat comforting, I guess. The only way to know the future is to live it.
We're only strays.

We live in a materialistic world where what was important is going out the door in western civilisation. Family divorce rates are at an all time high, child births are happening latter and later in life as people focus on money rather than family first. 20-30 years ago, a family could live very comfortably off a single income. Now we are struggling even with 2 careers. SEX IS SUPREME. Sex is everywhere, it advertises cars, clothes and even chocolate bisucits and cans of coke. This look but don't touch society western culture seams to hold gets worse and worse every month. To the point were 14 and 15 year old girls are used as sex symbols to sell the latest fashion. And we wonder why divorce rates are so high when both genders (mainly males) are constantly bombarded with what could have been. Not happy with you current wife and kids? Why not ditch them and find a nice 19 year old?

Where did that transition come from? I just couldn't read after that.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
You knew Drake!?

lol j/k

Well thats somewhat comforting, I guess. The only way to know the future is to live it.

Just been hearing "The worlds going to shit" for a long time. It's nothing new. I just take comfort in the fact that when it does go to shit it will be a very short journey.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by metaldud536

+1

Good rant. Yes, we are screwed.
Thank you, and may raw rock kill you forever and ever, amen.
DFTBA
Quote by slap-a-bass
dont believe what the media tells you

He also said there that his opinion of America and England is unreliable because of the media. But he also recognises that the media is a major factor in what he knows...Im some what impressed actually.

To the threadstarter: I agree with most of your points except oil. All of your other points had a focus on the world being far to materialistic. Then you go and say that you wish you didnt need to spend money on petrol, implying that you are also influenced by materialism. It just seamed to me that you have no researched oil and its global influences as much as you appear to have researched the other topics.

Still, it is good to see that not everyone is blind to this recession. Politicians continue to tell us that it is not going to happen even thought it most certainly is. Its just a matter of when and how?
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Quote by Chadicus

Where did that transition come from? I just couldn't read after that.

Im guessing that the SEX IS SUPREME was supposed to be a new paragragh
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein

Quote by CowboyUp

^^ I live in Michigan, USA. Recession has been here for a good 8 months or more now. I'm not blind to it. Nor am I terrified of it. It's not the end of the world. This will be the 3rd I've gone through. Won't kill ya.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
^^ I live in Michigan, USA. Recession has been here for a good 8 months or more now. I'm not blind to it. Nor am I terrified of it. It's not the end of the world. This will be the 3rd I've gone through. Won't kill ya.

the scary thing for me is that i havn't been in one. Australia has prospered for so many years now. and now we can see the effects of america plummeting into the economic depression and we can tell our politicians are lying to us about the possible future...And noone i speak to seams aware of what we could be facing
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein

Quote by CowboyUp

Quote by Aussie Ghost
the scary thing for me is that i havn't been in one. Australia has prospered for so many years now. and now we can see the effects of america plummeting into the economic depression and we can tell our politicians are lying to us about the possible future...And noone i speak to seams aware of what we could be facing

Me and some friends had a discussion about this a couple weeks ago with some younger people. Folks born around 85 or later grew up in one of the most economically prosperous eras the planet has seen since the late 1800s. A relatively peaceful era as well. Ya the economy is going into a slump. Don't know how long it will last or deep it will
go but it will eventually recover. Economies are cyclic. Am I concerned? Yes. I don't want to sound flip but it's not going to be the end of the world.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Jackal, your life experiences never cease to impress me. It's like you've been everywhere, done everything, and now you're retired and working as UG's advisor.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Yup, you summed it up pretty well. However, when you said about the rest of the western world is in the same situation you're pretty wrong. Europe's economy is still rising and our healthcare system also works (at least in Western Europe). The only thing you have to wait a while for is having a organ transplant but that's only got to do with donors. I heard the US dollar crawled up a little by the way. I found this:

We're not going to die.
The future? Welcome to the past.
Last edited by skagitup at May 9, 2008,
I read all of that, and to a degree, you are correct, but this so called downspiral of our economy has happened ever since the industrial age, money became more of an object than ever before and with the constant supply and demand, people will find it difficult to support themselves.

However, the economy will eventually fluctuate back down to its previous state as the ratio of rich to poor people is quite large, there being less rich people than poor ones, as the rich people decline, the businesses will be forced to bring their prices down so they can make a greater income by the collected poor people rather than a few rich people.

Also, in my opinion, if China weren't making most of the world's stuff right now, our economy would be insanely ****ed.
Wester society is more stronger and stable then you think. Democracy and market even in the curent, not perfect state can survive through much toughter situations.

Not enoff child birth's? Are you shure it is important? You want to start competition with China? There is no need to have lot's of workers and big army in modern world. Growth of populacion was actual in XX century, not now.

Too much sex on TV? Look at Iran, they don't have much sex on TV, don't think that their society is healthier in any way.

Everything is about money? But there is no other way. Planned economy is much less effective then free market. Proved by Soviet Union.

And belive me, you even don't know what "fucked up" means. In my region uncomfortable one room flat in worst part of the city costs 200 average month salaries. And I'f you'll take a loan in the bank, you'll have to give it back in 20 years and flat will cost you about 2 times more that way.
I know im going to get murderd for this but...

Ok seriously

Seriously. I was watching the news earlier. "Boy found dead in 7 meter deep mining shaft. Father arrested"

"Man shoots up a casino in Victoria" (I cant remember were it was exactly but i think it was Victoria)

Oil prices are up. Food is up. Dams are empty. Were spending 26 BILLION dollars on ****!!! A new massive sports stadium? Sure thats great but why not spend that money on something useful. We already have enough ****ing ****. Why do we need this massive ****ing stadium? All This expensive ****?

This is just a pointless...

I seriously doubt i will be able to own a home with how much **** cost...
Quote by Reject_666_6
Jackal, your life experiences never cease to impress me. It's like you've been everywhere, done everything, and now you're retired and working as UG's advisor.

But can he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
Quote by the_poison125
I know im going to get murderd for this but...

Ok seriously

Seriously. I was watching the news earlier. "Boy found dead in 7 meter deep mining shaft. Father arrested"

"Man shoots up a casino in Victoria" (I cant remember were it was exactly but i think it was Victoria)

Oil prices are up. Food is up. Dams are empty. Were spending 26 BILLION dollars on ****!!! A new massive sports stadium? Sure thats great but why not spend that money on something useful. We already have enough ****ing ****. Why do we need this massive ****ing stadium? All This expensive ****?

This is just a pointless...

I seriously doubt i will be able to own a home with how much **** cost...
26 billion? Who did they hire to do it, Madonna? And why is the government paying for it?
Quote by Retro Rocker
But can he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

No. No I can't. My kids used to love that shit. I never understood why.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2