Poll: How do you feel about Renewable Energy?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you feel about Renewable Energy?
Its all about Solar Energy!
38 25%
Hydrogen Powered Cars are the future
35 23%
Its a hype, our Oil won't run out...
9 6%
Nuclear Energy needs to be harnessed!
59 38%
Electric Cars FTW
14 9%
Voters: 155.
Page 1 of 3
What is your opinion on the topic?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It's an alternative.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wind, solar, geothermal FTW. People shouldn't starve so others can drive.
sup?
the hamster on the running wheel, which spins an alternator, many thousands of these could create a powerhouse, thus solving mankinds problem.
I think it's a step in the right direction.

EDIT: And I think I was the first person to vote in the poll.
Quote by FuzzChump
the hamster on the running wheel, which spins an alternator, many thousands of these could create a powerhouse, thus solving mankinds problem.

Ah yes, massive fields of hamsters in wheels.

Brilliant. Sounds like something the Swiss would come up with.
-Jim Morrison
Air powered cars FTW.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by chinkboy7
me and your mom, there's some pretty good energy goin there.

Fantastic.

That joke is about as funny as you are mature.
-Jim Morrison
Elecricity. But that energy has to come from somewhere else like hydrogen, nuclear energy, biofuel, etc.
Quote by metaldud536

My greatest reference yet!

watch out-the PETA douche bags will be all over ur ass
Quote by Brain245
Elecricity. But that energy has to come from somewhere else like hydrogen, nuclear energy, biofuel, etc.

Yeah I agree. Our world needs to get Nuclear Energy into full production. Its much safer now.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Brain245

You're an idiot.

We go out and catch lighting with butterfly nets!!!
Hydroelectricity and geothermal perhaps. Hydrogen powered cars would be good if we didn't extract most of our hydrogen from fossil fuels, in the process of electrolysis we're still putting a lot of pollution into the air. The process is not efficient with water (which is also scarce in parts of the world) so until we start coming up with some grand way to get hydrogen that's not too great.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Hydroelectricity and geothermal perhaps. Hydrogen powered cars would be good if we didn't extract most of our hydrogen from fossil fuels, in the process of electrolysis we're still putting a lot of pollution into the air. The process is not efficient with water (which is also scarce in parts of the world) so until we start coming up with some grand way to get hydrogen that's not too great.

I've heard alot about that, it sounds interesting... but what about the ~60% of my own country, USA, that lives nowhere near geysers, volcanos, or ocean? =(
-Jim Morrison
hydrogen is a better source of fuel, but only if it is produced from water with renewable energy. Ideally, solar power will be harnessed to produce electicity for electrolosis to create hydrogen.
How about energy from heat? Ive been looking into this company called Enviro Mission.

These guys have got the technology to turn the earths thermal energy into energy, stronger than that which can be produced by regular solar energy. watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tWlP0knKQU

It uses these massive structures to absorb the sun, then using the way hot air rises and cold air falls to create power comehow. Really amazing stuff
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I've heard alot about that, it sounds interesting... but what about the ~60% of my own country, USA, that lives nowhere near geysers, volcanos, or ocean? =(
Your country? The United States of A. is my country, good sir.

The heat energy is converted to electricity when the steam spins the turbine which is hooked to a generator so it can be transferred through existing cables and what not I'd imagine. Yes, I am talking out of my ass.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Your country? The United States of A. is my country, good sir.

The heat energy is converted to electricity when the steam spins the turbine which is hooked to a generator so it can be transferred through existing cables and what not I'd imagine. Yes, I am talking out of my ass.

I didnt know the Aussie's owned the US of A. =)

When electricity has to travel long distances, cables with extremely low resistance need to be used, which cost a crapload of money and energy to make in the first place. If these special cables aren't used, the electric energy is lost along the wire in the form of heat.

I'm not talking out of my ass.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Aussie Ghost
How about energy from heat? Ive been looking into this company called Enviro Mission.

These guys have got the technology to turn the earths thermal energy into energy, stronger than that which can be produced by regular solar energy. watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tWlP0knKQU

It uses these massive structures to absorb the sun, then using the way hot air rises and cold air falls to create power comehow. Really amazing stuff

thats an interesting idea, ive never seen anything like that.

it seems like maybe there is a bit too much dependence on a single massive structure. if something goes wrong...it would be a huge problem...
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I didnt know the Aussie's owned the US of A. =)

When electricity has to travel long distances, cables with extremely low resistance need to be used, which cost a crapload of money and energy to make in the first place. If these special cables aren't used, the electric energy is lost along the wire in the form of heat.

I'm not talking out of my ass.
I figured you might say something like that *shakes fist*

Where the hell did you get the idea that I live in Australia? I didn't know I gave off an Aussie vibe...mate?

That's a good point though, I suppose I never thought that one through fully.
it doesn't matter. really as long as theres money involved noone will ever put solar cars into mass production. seriously. we can now effectively run diesel engines on fryer oil.... so why doesn't everybody buy a diesel chevy and make weekly trips to a local fast food restaurant?
Solar energy is the best way in my opinion. I don't know how it'll happen though since it's pretty expensive to purchase and install panels.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Nuclear.

Hippies who are set against it don't realise just how clean and safe it is.

People need to realise that the only viable way forward (at least within the next few years, I don't presume to know further than that, what with technical developments that could occur) is nuclear.

Wind turbines take more energy to create and maintain than you will EVER get back from their use. They even gobble up electricity to run when the winds are still.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
solar power is the cleanest form of energy. And when we run out of that, it won;t really matter COS THE SUN WILL BE GONE AND WE"LL BE DEAD LOLZ!
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
i am going to be really sad when petrol runs out because i will have to give up my car and i love my car
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Coming from a country with 60% renewable electricity generation, aiming to achieve 90% within a decade, I have to say hydroelectric, wind, tidal and geothermal are the ways to go. However, it would be almost impossible to build a new dam in New Zealand now.

wow i had no idea, that's pretty cool

i had no idea that there was any country where their majority energy source was renewable.
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
I think a combination of the sources we now mainly use and things like solar/wind/water energy would be a good start. Ofcourse our oil will still be running up but in a slower way, also then there is time to think about getting all our energy from solar/wind/water
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by metacarpi
Nuclear.

Hippies who are set against it don't realise just how clean and safe it is.

People need to realise that the only viable way forward (at least within the next few years, I don't presume to know further than that, what with technical developments that could occur) is nuclear.

Wind turbines take more energy to create and maintain than you will EVER get back from their use. They even gobble up electricity to run when the winds are still.

Safe in the sense of a few grams of Pu239 dissolved in ground water being enough to wipe out many thousands of people?

EDIT@Poll result: Hydrogen-powered cars are the future? Are you stupid? Hydrogen is usually only found in compounds on earth. Unless you find a clean way to separate it from molecules such as methane, hydrogen motors just move the pollution away from the streets to the factories where it is produced.
Last edited by Firzen_Zero at May 9, 2008,
Honestly, Geothermal and nuclear are the best soruces. Solar is not only expensive, but the production of PV cells isn't exactly clean...Tidal and hydroelectric has far too much of a negative effect on surrounding habitats. Wind is good, nice and efficient, but too costly and high maintainence for large scale.

Geothermal on the other hand just heats up water and drives a turbine - old fashioned, but efficient, and easy to do. Nuclear is not only cheap, productive and clean, but if fuel is re-processed properly there is almost no waste, and it has the added bonus of making bomb material (-:
Quote by Firzen_Zero
Safe in the sense of a few grams of Pu239 dissolved in ground water being enough to wipe out many thousands of people?

Fool, it takes 20g 2 weeks to kill a single person. Radiation poisoning really isn't that big a problem, you have to be inhaling the stuff and constantly exposed for there to be any short term risk. Long term, well, we come into contact with so many carcinogens during our lifetimes that it's hard to separate the effects of one from any others.
The renewable energy solutions need to not only address the electricity demands but the demands for fuel for transportion.

Biofuels are the way to go, however, they have major problems. Biofuel farming is very land intensive and uses up a lot of land that could be used for farming foods. A lot of the raw materials come from third world and second world countries, which sell in bulk very cheaply to first world nations. The issue here is that people are staying hungry to meet fuel needs of the 1st world.

Hydrogen is a viable source of energy, especially with fuel cells but these are at the moment, not economically viable. Many types exist, but not all of them are useable on a large scale.

Geothermal, wind, tidal etc, are good for the old electricity problem but they too have downsides that need working on.

Edit:

Oh I forgot nuclear... How silly of me.

Nuclear is a very good clean method of electricty generation. Nuclear waste is "easy" to store.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Page 1 of 3