Page 1 of 2
Considering how many riffs and solos have been created over the last 60 years, do you think it will be really hard to come up with original music?
I guess eventually it might happen, but I think by then, the newest "movement" in music will have come along and rendered rock 'n' roll obslolete anyway...
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
Considering the fact that music itself has been around for thousands if not millions of years, I'm pretty sure it's hard right now to write 3 or 4 seconds of melodies or riffs that have never been written in all time, if you don't take into account tempo and dynamics. It's all about how they're arranged.
Nope, Motorhead will keep writing the same song, and all will be well.

Are you going to disagree with Lemmy ?
Quote by rabidguitarist
manowar.

on the subject:
anyone else notice that the film '300' is like... manowar: the movie?

Quote by morbid_death
Sam, you are my hero.

Metallurgy. Traditional Metal from Brisbane
http://www.myspace.com/metallurgy
just do covers for the rest of eternity!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Like every wave of music, rock as we know it will go. more electronics, more synth, is what's next.
Quote by The_bushidoka
I guess eventually it might happen, but I think by then, the newest "movement" in music will have come along and rendered rock 'n' roll obslolete anyway...

the latest movement (hip-hop) didn't do it, so what kid of futuristic techno blend will?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
Rock n' Roll died in the 60s or 70s.

There hasn't been any REAL rock n' roll (Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.) in ages, in mass quantaties, that is.

And, no, the genre will never die. It's never came close, and it never will.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I already find it hard to create original music without it sounding reminding me in someway of a song i know. Or im just uncreative, which is the answer im gonna go with.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
tom morello
that is the future
mayeb...

but at least the use of effects will definitely open up thousands of possibilities
as for acoustic guitar players, they're gonna be screwed someday
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
Quote by SaxMachine124
Like every wave of music, rock as we know it will go. more electronics, more synth, is what's next.

coughcough1980's!coughcoughcough
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
Rock music is so much more than just riffs and solos. With music there is so much variation; it has a near infinite amount of possibilities.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
Rock music is so much more than just riffs and solos. With music there is so much variation; it has a near infinite amount of possibilities.

+1
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
In terms of mathematics. There is a finite (not infinate) amount of possibilities using a guitar. Eventually we are going to run out of riffs that can be called original...thats when a new instrument is invented and a new genre to go with it.

Hopefully rock music itself won't ever die...but it will. Everything dies eventually
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Quote by jxmxaxn
I already find it hard to create original music without it sounding reminding me in someway of a song i know. Or im just uncreative, which is the answer im gonna go with.
I think pretty much everyone is like that. Because if we have had absolutely no music to make us "biased" I guess when we write our music (meaning nothing to really influence our musical composition), we'd be like cavemen pounding on rocks.
What the hell? It isn't oil, it's music. You can't run out of musical possibilities. If anything, it will keep getting better.
Quote by Chadicus
In terms of mathematics. There is a finite (not infinate) amount of possibilities using a guitar. Eventually we are going to run out of riffs that can be called original...thats when a new instrument is invented and a new genre to go with it.
You aren't taking into account time signatures, dynamics, tempo, and maybe a few other things.

Julián Carrillo discovered the 13th tone when messing around with his violin. When a string is stretched on a guitar, in infinite amount of pitches are being made. Theoritically if one has access to infinite pitches, infinite riffs and melodies can be made.
Well, the sound of one style of music can get tiresome, but music evolves over time. So, no worries.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Look at it like this: every single person is different. We all have our own experiences in life, our own preferences/desires, outlook, way of thinking, etc. So rock music right now comparatively touches on only a few of those things. You can almost argue that we're just scratching the surface so far, and that what has been already done is really somewhat limited.

What would someone make up if they learned guitar without ever hearing someone play one? Its almost like the phrase 'its all been done already,' is a self-sustaining thought, in that what has been done already very greatly influences what will be done, and thus works to prevent originality through 'used' inspiration.

But maybe once someone breaks out of that box and reinvents guitar, it will only start a whole new 'box' to stay in.

All just speculation, maybe rock is dead.
We're only strays.
Quote by The Madcap
You aren't taking into account time signatures, dynamics, tempo, and maybe a few other things.

Julián Carrillo discovered the 13th tone when messing around with his violin. When a string is stretched on a guitar, in infinite amount of pitches are being made. Theoritically if one has access to infinite pitches, infinite riffs and melodies can be made.

Yes, so in terms of mathematics, it is INfinite. Since the notes are broken down into frequencies, the number of frequencies between two notes is infinite.

123.1, 123.11, 123.111, etc.
Quote by The Madcap

There isnt an infinite amount of pitches, we can only hear what falls between whatever the highest and lowest frequency we can hear. There is finite riffs that can be made and this cant be argued otherwise.

Changing rhythm, time sig and keys will make more yes, but not infinite.

The possibility of riffs is a number far beyond what a man can comprehend but there is a limit. Even if we use them all, others will be forgotten and when they are repeated they will be treated as original.

TS, music will not run out. Ever.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Quote by SuPaGrAm
There isnt an infinite amount of pitches, we can only hear what falls between whatever the highest and lowest frequency we can hear. There is finite riffs that can be made and this cant be argued otherwise.

Changing rhythm, time sig and keys will make more yes, but not infinite.

The possibility of riffs is a number far beyond what a man can comprehend but there is a limit. Even if we use them all, others will be forgotten and when they are repeated they will be treated as original.

TS, music will not run out. Ever.

Yeah I'm waiting for people to forget about the riff in Whiskey Train by Blackfoot. I WANNA USE IT!!!!

Oh wait, they did forget. Usin it.
We're only strays.
No music will never run out of certain sounds. There is not 12 tones in music, there is 12 tones in the Western music system. I could tune my guitar and add some additional frets and get 24 brand new, never before heard tones right now.
Quote by lpmarshall
Do you think rock music will eventually run out
There was an ancient advertising slogan for Doritos featuring Jay Leno.
It seems appropriate here:

Crunch all you want. We'll make more.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
This has been done more times than a wh0re.

Not for a long, long time.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

I don't think we will have this problem for a long time. There are many different notes that could be used and rhythms. These notes can be used together or seperatly. Because of this there are billions of possibilities. Also, there are techniques like slides, hammer ons, pull offs, string bends, palm muting. These techniques make the amount of riffs able to be played so much higher.
nah dude theres infinite combinations and possibilities riff wise and added to that the different elements in a rock song i hav no doubt it will not
My Gear
Ibanez GSZ 120
Aria Pro II SL
Starfire Mega 10
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100 DFX
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
the latest movement (hip-hop) didn't do it, so what kid of futuristic techno blend will?

I don't count hip-hop as a music movement in the same way as rock is, but I think the case can still be made that hip-hop is taking over where rock once stood.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
Quote by SuPaGrAm
others will be forgotten and when they are repeated they will be treated as original.

Wait a second I just realized something. This means that thousands of years ago, an ancient flutist could have been busting out Sweet Child of Mine or Dr. Feelgood!!

Amazing!!
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at May 9, 2008,
Quote by The Madcap
Considering the fact that music itself has been around for thousands if not millions of years, I'm pretty sure it's hard right now to write 3 or 4 seconds of melodies or riffs that have never been written in all time, if you don't take into account tempo and dynamics. It's all about how they're arranged.

That's stupid...

I think rock won't become completely obsolete, rather it will evolve, change and distort so much that I doubt any of us would recognize it.
Quote by The Madcap
I'm pretty sure it's hard right now to write 3 or 4 seconds of melodies or riffs that have never been written in all time, if you don't take into account tempo and dynamics. It's all about how they're arranged.

That's like saying that no new paintings can be made, 'cos we've used all the colours in previous paintings.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 2