I'm running a JSX through a Crate 4x12 at 16 ohms right now. I'd like to add in my Avatar 2x12, which is 8 ohms, at the same time. The JSX only has a switch for 4, 8, and 16 ohms. What's a possibly configuration, or how can I easily modify the cabs to work together?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Well, the 4x12 has a switch for stereo, which makes it 8 ohms. It can also change to 4 ohms, mono. If I combine the two 8 ohm cabs in parallel, would that mean I need to switch the JSX to 4 ohms?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Parallel 5.33 ohms
Series 24 ohms
In current arrangement

both 8 ohms and parallel will get you 4 ohms but your back to only running 4 speakers
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 8, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Parallel 5.33 ohms
Series 24 ohms
In current arrangement

both 8 ohms and parallel will get you 4 ohms but your back to only running 4 speakers

So you can't run it at 5.33 ohms?

Or is there some way to rewire the cabs on the inside or something to make it so I can use all 6 speakers?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
You will get 6 speakers if you run the 16 ohm cab in stereo.
The other cab is 8 ohm with 4 speakers so it will use them.

You can run them both at their normal impedance if you set your head to 4 ohm which is very close to 5.33. It will probably be even less than 5.33 (my 8 ohm cab is actually 7 ohm measured with a multimeter). So no problem there as tube amps can handle a 2:1 impedance mismatch.
Or you can set your amp to 8 ohms but then you'll loose some low end and bass response.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
There is no way with these cabs to get perfectly matching impedence and i wouldnt recommend running them slightly mismatched some amps are more prone to melting than others
i would go for two of the speakers from the stereo mode of the 4x12 with the 2x12 in parrallel (4ohms) and put them on opposite sides of the stage room, wherever
Shut up and play your guitar!
All amps can handle mismatches because cabs never have the exact impedance rating as advertised. The JSX can certainly handle a 2:1 mismatch, I even played my Bogner at 3:1 for a while at maximum volume.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
ive had some impedance mismatch problems before tho with older amps getting really hot really quick..
im guessing it would still be better to match impedance with less speakers than sacrifice sound quality
Shut up and play your guitar!
^ Ofcourse, but a mismatch of around 1 ohm won't hurt anything nor affect sound quality.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower