Page 1 of 2
Yup.. another "which amp" thread.. I hate to even make it, because a new one goes up every 5 minutes or so, but it has to be done.

So here's the situation: I have a Peavey Windsor, and I need a 2 channel amp, so I'm upgrading to one of the three amps listed in the title. The problem is that the Windsor won't clean up, and I don't really want to get it modded. My budget for the upgrade is ~$600, and I really can't go much over, so based on that, my choices are:

B-52 AT100
Peavey ValveKing
Bugera 6262

I play everything from Led Zep to Radiohead, Blue Oyster Cult to Coheed, Incubus to Thrice, whatever, so it needs to be relatively versatile, and I already have a cab (2x12") to run the amp through, so it's the head versions of all of the amps that I'm looking at.

My local guitar store has a ValveKing on order for me to try out, but it won't be in for a couple of weeks, and there's no way I would be able to try out the B-52 or Bugera before I bought one, since no one anywhere near me sells those brands.

Because of that I have a few questions: I know that the Bugera's have been being ripped on for reliability issues, whether it be user-error or poor construction remains to be seen, but what about B-52.. are they a respectable company? And the deal with the rectifiers on the AT-100 head, is that all hype, or does it actually affect the sound changing from solid state to different tube rectifiers? Does the amp have a usable clean? And how is the gain channel? I have heard plenty of youtube clips of high-gain or heavy stuff, but what about a nice classic rock crunch?

From what I remember of the ValveKing combo I tried quite a while ago, the cleans sounded nice (though I only played the amp at a low volume), but the distortion channel seemed thin compared to my Windsor. The Bugera sounded great on the youtube videos I've seen, and seemed the most versatile from what I can tell without actually playing the amps, but the reliability issues scare me. Because of that, and that I know nothing about the B-52, I'm just looking for your opinions on which of the three amps would best suit me.

Thanks in advance! and don't post unless you know from personal experience with one of the amps.

EDIT: How would any of these compare to a used Marshall JCM 900 4100???
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Last edited by darthalal at May 10, 2008,
i made this exact same post, so use the search button. these same 3 amps.

the at-100 was the best by far.

i ended up getting a mesa/boogie though. it basically pwns anytihng those amps could ever hope to be, but out of those 3 its DEFINITELY the at-100, any tone you want, a rock-solid customer service, you really cannot lose. the one i was going to get was 350 used.
Honestly, i would go with a Bugera. There distortion is better and there cleans rape the VK's. Reliabilty issues do make me second guess sure.. I hate the way the pots are setup and there size. But I cant knock it to much my valveking is only a few months old and had blown tubes and i dont even gig... Also a treble issue and tone issue...

So i say the bugera... what the hell...
id say the B-52.
i played one a few months back, and it was like my Mesa/Boogie's mildly retarded brother. that tries very hard to be a Mesa/Boogie.
but it worked out alright once i noodled with it for a few minutes.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Am i the only one that doesnt like the way b-52's sound lol.. for some reason i hate the way they sound and i've tested them and heard them live played by professional bands around town. Still hate them lol
No, I used to have an AT-100. Thing was a fizz bucket. Sold it to a kid who couldnt afford a mesa. Then again, I'm not a fan of the Mesa either
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
B-52 is the best out of those 3, tho I recommend if you buy it to buy a metal pedal if you want to play metal.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by Master Bait Her
B-52 is the best out of those 3, tho I recommend if you buy it to buy a metal pedal if you want to play metal.

Newsflash: You can play "metal" with anything.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
I had to make this exact same decision two weeks ago. I chose the Bugera over the B-52 mainly because I like the Bugera's lead channel better and I could get a half stack (6262 head and cab) cheaper than the B-52. The B-52 wasn't bad though but after listening to the two side by side the Bugera won for tone hands down.
Quote by ParryPerson
Newsflash: You can play "metal" with anything.

Yeah but the B-52 sucks with metal tones.

It gives you more of a classic rock/blues sound than a metal sound.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by Master Bait Her

That's weird, most people say it's a metal amp.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
That's weird, most people say it's a metal amp.

It does metal ok. Bugera does it MUCH better.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Am i the only one that doesnt like the way b-52's sound lol.. for some reason i hate the way they sound and i've tested them and heard them live played by professional bands around town. Still hate them lol

Any reason you don't like the sound?

Quote by MasterBaitHer

The most 'metal' I get on a daily basis is Coheed, and I have plenty of pedals that should be able to push me into metal territory if I feel like getting into that in the future.

Quote by Bloodshed
No, I used to have an AT-100. Thing was a fizz bucket. Sold it to a kid who couldnt afford a mesa. Then again, I'm not a fan of the Mesa either

Was something wrong with it? Or are they all "fizz buckets"?

Thanks so far guys!
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Quote by LP Addict
I am probably selling mine. Its too much for me. =[

Selling what? Mesa or Bugera?
My mesa, its a DC-5, they usually sell for 650-700, id be happy with 600. im done stealing this thread, get the AT-100. it is as good as the mesa, the distortion is absolutely outrageous, anyone who cant get metal out of it, no offense dudes, is retarded, there are infinite gain/EQ options. the mesas cleans just completely annihilated the at-100s, and im a blues/jazz player on the side, so i needed that.
Quote by LP Addict
My mesa, its a DC-5, they usually sell for 650-700, id be happy with 600. im done stealing this thread, get the AT-100. it is as good as the mesa, the distortion is absolutely outrageous, anyone who cant get metal out of it, no offense dudes, is retarded, there are infinite gain/EQ options. the mesas cleans just completely annihilated the at-100s, and im a blues/jazz player on the side, so i needed that.

Wow. Interesting. Never heard someone say that before.
I cant say anything about the bugera because i've never played one before...

But I do love my B-52. my only problem with it was that the eq settings did not have a verry wide range... But after throwing an eq pedal in the effects loop I dont even need to use my metal muff anymore...

But it does do metal and it does it pretty well, but its gotta be cranked to get to the really high levels and if you want that brutal metal, like trivium sound or something you will probably need to get some kinda pedal
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I've got the B-52 212 combo and I don't see what everyone says about it not being metal...the thing's metal as all hell!

Sure, it's a bit noisy but I've got 2 gain channels so I could just mute the lower-gain one when not playing(swapping out the cheap stock chinese tubes would probably help with noise to).

I've never played a Bugera so I can't say anything about them. On the other hand, I've played the Valveking and it just wasn't for me.

Of course you could shop around used for some even nicer amps...
Gear:
Jackson RR3
B-52 AT-212
Roland Micro Cube
MXR 10-Band EQ
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Decimator
T.C. Electronic Nova Delay

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free. -Bill Hicks
The Valveking shouldn't even be compared with the B-52 and Bugera because they are by far better at the metal thing than the Valveking. The Valveking has its place I guess but not being considered with two other extremely high gain metal amps.
The 6262 is the more expensive of the lot and delivers the best performance, especially for metal. The valvekings a fixer upper. its a great amp, but it will take time and work. you'll need to swap out the speaker, pre-amp and power-amp tubes. it has a nice tone after that, very present, with it's strong mid-range response. you'll have to spend some time learning the eq and the class setting u want to be using it on. i have no experience of a b-52. anyways, 6262 if u need your metal fix now, valveking, if u have some time to mod it and work with it. the 6262 will sound more traditional metal, while the valveking, while more classic marshally voiced, will give a more unique sound.
I've got the B-52 212 combo and I don't see what everyone says about it not being metal...the thing's metal as all hell!

Sure, it's a bit noisy but I've got 2 gain channels so I could just mute the lower-gain one when not playing(swapping out the cheap stock chinese tubes would probably help with noise to).
QUOTE]

I can't wrap my brain around that one either man.... I don't think they've messed with it enough.... Especially once the contour is engaged, you can get a decent range from pushed to scooped mids with a very nice edge....

Then again, maybe they didn't push the amp when they tried it out... The ONLY problem I have with my AT212 is that my head totally exploded off of my neck(now held together with duct tape) when I turned it past 11 o'clock and that's when it REALLY started to come to life...

Looking into an attenuator at the moment... as the cops are getting sick of coming over here.....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
b-52 hands down. but with 600$ you can look on ebay for a good mesa boogie. you would be surprised what you can find
Quote by ironman1478
b-52 hands down. but with 600$ you can look on ebay for a good mesa boogie. you would be surprised what you can find

+1

i just picked up a mark III for 650
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TheEsupremacy
The Valveking shouldn't even be compared with the B-52 and Bugera because they are by far better at the metal thing than the Valveking. The Valveking has its place I guess but not being considered with two other extremely high gain metal amps.

I don't play metal. I wouldn't be using all of the gain available anyway, so the fact that the ValveKing isn't an extremely high gain metal amp isn't a set back, as long as it is heavy enough for bands like coheed, STP, and heavier incubus stuff?

Quote by Def
The 6262 is the more expensive of the lot and delivers the best performance, especially for metal. The valvekings a fixer upper. its a great amp, but it will take time and work. you'll need to swap out the speaker, pre-amp and power-amp tubes.

The 6262 is $50 cheaper than the B-52, and only $20 more than the ValveKing. Also, I'd be getting the head version, to put through my cab with vintage 30s, so the speaker problem doesn't apply, and like I said, I don't really play metal.

Quote by Master Bait Her

From the clips I have found of the B-52, it sounds heavier and higher gain than classic rock/blues?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by darthalal at May 9, 2008,
Although it's more versitile than you would think, if you don't play metal the Bugera is pretty much overkill. Go with the B-52.
I'll be the odd man out and say get a 5150.
:]

I bought two 5150's for $550 each and one for $670
The $670 was a 5150II with the extra tube and separate eq.

Based on your list, I've only played on the B52 and i know that it can get really heavy too.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at May 10, 2008,
i love how retarded people are on this forum. Did anyone of you anus's read his first post??? He doesn't want to play metal. wait let me repeat that:
HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY METAL

I am in the same boat as you. I play more classic rock and garage rocky type stuff (white stripes, hives, etc..) I have a valveking half stack (see below). I have plugged into the combo and I must say it sounds like a different amp than mine. Must be the difference in the cheapo speakers in the combo.

I personally think the valveking head is the best bang for the buck. Very versatile if you know how to properly adjust an eq, (not just turn this knob all the way to max, and this one all the way to zero). I tried a B52 and it sounded thinner to me. I have never even seen a bugera so I cant speak for those.
Dont listen to all these metalheads (although...EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAT METAL) It does metal fine with a pedal or 2 and a sonic maximizer. For the type of music you and I play the valve king will be reliable and sound great.
pm me with any questions
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
i love how retarded people are on this forum. Did anyone of you anus's read his first post??? He doesn't want to play metal. wait let me repeat that:
HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY METAL

I am in the same boat as you. I play more classic rock and garage rocky type stuff (white stripes, hives, etc..) I have a valveking half stack (see below). I have plugged into the combo and I must say it sounds like a different amp than mine. Must be the difference in the cheapo speakers in the combo.

I personally think the valveking head is the best bang for the buck. Very versatile if you know how to properly adjust an eq, (not just turn this knob all the way to max, and this one all the way to zero). I tried a B52 and it sounded thinner to me. I have never even seen a bugera so I cant speak for those.
Dont listen to all these metalheads (although...EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAT METAL) It does metal fine with a pedal or 2 and a sonic maximizer. For the type of music you and I play the valve king will be reliable and sound great.
pm me with any questions

Everybody wants to play metal. You're dillusional. It's all about metal. Metal, metal, metal. If you don't want to play metal now, you will later. You MUST have a valve amp capable of playing metal in your bedroom. @ LEAST 100 watts, 120 preferabley. Who on earth doesn't want to play metal? Seriously? Why would you even need an amp unless you were gonna play metal? Get an acoustic guitar then. Metal.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 10, 2008,
Yeah MOST people eventually turn to metal.
I think you should be looking at the 333 or 333xl seeing as your not interested in playing TeH broOtalzzz...... yet .....
Its a 3 channel amp clean, crunch, lead. Has a built in noise gate, prescence and reverb controls. It based on the JSX series and yeah the 333's are pretty kickass.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Yeah MOST people eventually turn to metal.
I think you should be looking at the 333 or 333xl seeing as your not interested in playing TeH broOtalzzz...... yet .....
Its a 3 channel amp clean, crunch, lead. Has a built in noise gate, prescence and reverb controls. It based on the JSX series and yeah the 333's are pretty kickass.

I was under the impression the 333's were based on the Triple XXX, which, when I played seemed heavier than the 5150? (Though I should clarify, I've never played a 5150)

EDIT: But if it is true that the 6262 is heavier than the 333xl, I would most likely be looking at the 333xl instead.
Quote by Dave_Mc

333's are XXX, 333XL's are JSX. That's how it works I believe. Heavier than 5150? The XXX? I've heard the contrary, but haven't played either personally so can't really say.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I have a XXX 112 combo i think its the 40 watt and I really like it, ALMOST as much as my Powerball..
Quote by LP Addict
i stated that it can play metal because people were saying it couldnt. the b-52 can get virtually any tone as long as you know how to turn a knob a certain way.

Is it a noticeable setback that both gain channels share the same EQ?

Also: Is the valveking limited by the fact that it has 2 channels while the rest of the amps I'm looking at have 3?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Page 1 of 2