Looking for a single pick-up guitar, with a humbucker at the bridge. Want something cheap, with a strat style body like a kramer baretta or those sick 80s strats. Anyone know some models they make with this config? Or some good retailers to find a guitar like this?
Quote by hightension01
um guitar center

I really didn't find what I was looking for at GC or musicians friend, specific examples would be nice
Why do you want something with one pickup? The only guitar I can think of with one pickup is the Jackson RR24 and it costs over $1000.

Get one with 2, I could give you a list of 20 inexpensive guitars.
Quote by metalman89
Why do you want something with one pickup? The only guitar I can think of with one pickup is the Jackson RR24 and it costs over $1000.

Get one with 2, I could give you a list of 20 inexpensive guitars.

I already have a guitar with two pick-ups, I've always wanted one of the 80s style guitars to shred.
dude, its better to get one with two HBs or an SSH just or two reasons:

1.- the ones you will find with a single HB and cheap will be sh*t.
2.- The chapest guitar that has a single PU and is worth buying is worth 430USD (alexi-200) and it isnt a strat.
3.- Why do you want a single PU is with 2 or 3 you can get more versatility.
4.- The single PU guitars are normaly just for saying "look I have just one PU and i own" with no other aparent reason like the ones from EVH, Laiho, Lych, some weird Ibanez RG and on.

And if this reasons arent enough, buy a Squier bullet or the cheapest wood-made guitar you can find (rondomusic? or if youre Kramer style the one i point below) and fill the neck PU hole with wood or some sh*t. and then paint on it. There you have a barreta.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Pacer-FT202S-Electric-Guitar?sku=515312

btw, get a new neck for wichever guitar you buy
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by JoshRocco
I already have a guitar with two pick-ups, I've always wanted one of the 80s style guitars to shred.

Ok. Considering your join date, I thought you might just be starting out.

How much are you looking to spend? That BC Rich is about $600 I think.
That BC rich is sick, but I'm really looking for something cheap as a back up. I just registered but have been playing for a pretty good amount of time.
Quote by ldnovelo
btw, im surprised no one asked :

what amp do you have?

I have a Peavey bandit 112
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Last edited by ldnovelo at May 9, 2008,
Well, what guitar do you have now?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by ldnovelo
Thats a no go. Get a tube amp first. Then get whatever guitar you want.

Thanks bro but I am content with my amp right now.
While I think you should focus on a new amp.... don't count out used. You can actually buy a real 80's guitar for not that much. My MIA Kramer was $650 and it was damn near flawless.

Quote by CORT noob
Well, what guitar do you have now?

I have an Ibanez SA series HSS, which is on ebay at the moment. Getting a Carvin DC127 soon.
Quote by JoshRocco
That BC rich is sick, but I'm really looking for something cheap as a back up. I just registered but have been playing for a pretty good amount of time.

Well do what my friend did, he was in your situation, He had a nice H H guitar, but he wanted a beater/shred guitar, so we got his SSH Squier Strat (rear routed), tore everything out, painted it (and the headstock), then put the bridge humbucker and volume knob back in.

There are still the two routs where the single coils were, but it still looks badass (safety yellow)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by T!AN
While I think you should focus on a new amp.... don't count out used. You can actually buy a real 80's guitar for not that much. My MIA Kramer was $650 and it was damn near flawless.

What's wrong with my amp though?

btw, I like your kramer
Quote by JoshRocco
I have an Ibanez SA series HSS, which is on ebay at the moment. Getting a Carvin DC127 soon.

In that case, I would get a guitar for trem wanking before getting a new amp. I would recommend looking into new amps though, you may find one you like if you just get out and try some. They really are essential to your sound, and are something that you should drop quite a bit of money on.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by jthm_guitarist
Well do what my friend did, he was in your situation, He had a nice H H guitar, but he wanted a beater/shred guitar, so we got his SSH Squier Strat (rear routed), tore everything out, painted it (and the headstock), then put the bridge humbucker and volume knob back in.

There are still the two routs where the single coils were, but it still looks badass (safety yellow)

I was thinking about that also, get a squier strat, give it a nice spray can job and bondo it up.
Quote by CORT noob
In that case, I would get a guitar for trem wanking before getting a new amp. I would recommend looking into new amps though, you may find one you like if you just get out and try some. They really are essential to your sound, and are something that you should drop quite a bit of money on.

I think my amp sounds pretty decent though, though I did get it when I was in 7th grade and knew nothing of amplifiers. Is there anything specific bad about it? (It's powerful enough for my needs)
Last edited by JoshRocco at May 9, 2008,
Quote by JoshRocco
I think my amp sounds pretty decent though, though I did get it when I was in 7th grade though and knew nothing of amplifiers. Is there anything specific bad about it? (It's powerful enough for my needs)

No, there is nothing bad about it, because tone is subjective. For a bedroom player, it is a good sized amp. But, it is a Solid-State amp. I myself, am a fan of tube amplifiers. There are advantages and disadvantages to each kind of amp. Get out there and try some different amps, read the stickies in the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum. You may find that your amp isn't really what you want sound wise, and you might consider buying a new amp that will complement you and your skills better.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by JoshRocco
What's wrong with my amp though?

btw, I like your kramer

The amp ios the most important thing in your sound (well, about 80% of it). If you play the best guitar on earthlike a Gibson Les Paul Custom (not the best, but it is awesome)trought your "awesome" crate flexwave, youl sound like a begginner, but if you go with your Blemished B-stock Squier Bullet to GC and plug to a Marshall JCM 800 or any other amp you like you'll sound badass. Thats how important it is.

Try some tube amps like the blackheart i reccomended above. And dont let your impulses get you. Some months ago I got the Van Halen 1 cd and became so obsessed with EVH that i just dreamed on getting a Barretta for my own and an 5150. Then that passed away just like when you are thinking on buying a hamburger but you see a hot chick walking by and start thinking on her underwear (or lack thereof) and forget your hunger.

Ive been obsessed with ESP guitars (that was agood obsession. Still my #1 brand. Thank metallica for it), with Gibson Les Pauls (slash did it), with single PU ones ( EVH and Lynch, thank you), with jackson Vs and Kellys ( Megadeth were the ones) and so on. Just get a guitar when you are ready and not when you have the "80´s guitar" impulse
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Well is there a difference between a transtube and a tube amp? I am really uneducated when it comes to amps.
Quote by ldnovelo
The amp ios the most important thing in your sound (well, about 80% of it). If you play the best guitar on earthlike a Gibson Les Paul Custom (not the best, but it is awesome)trought your "awesome" crate flexwave, youl sound like a begginner, but if you go with your Blemished B-stock Squier Bullet to GC and plug to a Marshall JCM 800 or any other amp you li,e you'll sound badass. Thats how important it is.

You aren't telling me what is specifically wrong with my amp though. I play various types of music, and my amp seems to produce good sound for the price I paid. This thread got pretty far off topic.
Quote by ldnovelo
The amp ios the most important thing in your sound (well, about 80% of it). If you play the best guitar on earthlike a Gibson Les Paul Custom (not the best, but it is awesome)trought your "awesome" crate flexwave, youl sound like a begginner, but if you go with your Blemished B-stock Squier Bullet to GC and plug to a Marshall JCM 800 or any other amp you li,e you'll sound badass. Thats how important it is.

Not exactly. If you have good technique and play very nice, you'll sound pretty good throught he Crate. If you are sloppy, and kind of noobish, you're going to sound worse through the JCM 800 than the Crate Flexwave. Also, for a bedroom player, it would be rather silly to get a JCM 800. I'm going to assume you play metal, among other things, in which case, I wouldn't switch to tube amps for the bedroom playing. I would probably try to find a high quality SS amp.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by JoshRocco
Well is there a difference between a transtube and a tube amp? I am really uneducated when it comes to amps.

Transtube is where they have a tube powered pre-amp and a SS power amp, or vise versa. Tube amps have a tube pre-amp and a tube power-amp. Transtube amps don't neccessarily sound more tube-like than SS amps, it depends on the amp.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

CORT noob: Thank you, your amp advice is helpful. I am planning on finding a new amp eventually, but just dropped a lot of money on the guitar I'm getting.

Any more single humbucker guitars? I'm just looking for model names, don't care if they are brand new, then I can browse around classifieds and ebay
Quote by CORT noob
Not exactly. If you have good technique and play very nice, you'll sound pretty good throught he Crate. If you are sloppy, and kind of noobish, you're going to sound worse through the JCM 800 than the Crate Flexwave. Also, for a bedroom player, it would be rather silly to get a JCM 800. I'm going to assume you play metal, among other things, in which case, I wouldn't switch to tube amps for the bedroom playing. I would probably try to find a high quality SS amp.

+1

Idnovelo is a little off the mark here, but I think he has good intentions.

EDIT: As far as the amp situations goes, however, I would recommend trying amps out in a store at the levels at which you play. If you realize that you're getting substantially better sound with another amp in your price range, I would buy that (tube amps are usually a good recommendation because--to most people--they sound much more warm and natural than your average solid state amp, but don't rule out solid state either depending on your style of music). If you find that, in the end, you're not really impressed with any potential amps in your price range, then just buy a new guitar if that's what makes you happy. It's your money, after all.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Last edited by FourSticks17 at May 9, 2008,
Well once my new guitar arrives, I'll pair her up with my amp and see how it sounds. I don't play a lot of metal, kind of just getting into it, plus my amp paired with my digitech rp-200 can produce many different sounds.
Quote by CORT noob

Dude, it would be stoopid that a n00b gets such a good amp with a bad technique. Im talking about any player comparing his own sound, not about comparing Marty Friedman on a crate to a n00b playing his new squier through a JCM800. Im saying that YOU would most of the time sound better trough a JCM 800 than trough a flexwave, with the same guitar, same settings and playing the same song. Its almost a rule that a JCM beats the hell out of a Flexwave
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
Dude, it would be stoopid that a n00b gets such a good amp with a bad technique. tings and playing the same song.

Right...Please don't go off on the wrong direction and use the "rule";
shredders = good/expensive equipment
everyone else = ****e

Equipment doesn't matter, its just personal preferences. If someone prefers the feel to a sub £300 guitar over a £2000+ who cares?

Guitar playing is NOT (but good on you if your dedicated) about who can wank a fretboard fastest, its about creating music, enjoying yourself and having a damn good time.

Sorry for the rant its just when people judge people for their equipment/skill/music.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Squier affinity + new pickguard + new pickup + Tremolo routing
= less than 600 bones.
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
Squier affinity + new pickguard + new pickup + Tremolo routing
= less than 600 bones.

As of now, I am just going to keep a look out on ebay for a mij strat or an 80s kramer or charvel with a single humbucker and locking trem. I'm not in a serious hurry to get another guitar, my carvin hasn't even arrived yet . I made this thread thinking that someone in UG may of known of a small or unknown(to me) company who does single humbucker guitar.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Thanks dude,I think thats my next guitar.

but u haven't even played it
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ