I pracytice about 4 to 5 hours a day for 6 months just playing tabs . And i got Callus on four of my fingers. but i still cant play solo fast. what kind of practice can i use to improve my speed.
play the solo at half speed then speed it up just a little at a time and practice at the new speed until you have it perfect. then speed up just a little more each time and keep going at it.
maybe you havnt found a technique of moving your fingers fast in a way that suits you, it hast to feel easy, and it has to feel like your fingers just want to got there when you try to play fast, if you dont feel this, then you either need to take more time learning the part/s that your working on, or you need to explore styles of playing.
"
Quote by kornmunkykid
I pracytice about 4 to 5 hours a day for 6 months just playing tabs . And i got Callus on four of my fingers. but i still cant play solo fast. what kind of practice can i use to improve my speed.

you're only going to be able to play so fast after six months.

but my advice to you is to take lessons. 5 hours of practice a day doesn't really mean anything if you're not making the most of each hour.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by DanielQ
play slow, make sure you know it. Then gradually improve the speed.

and that's completely different than what i said. but that's beside the point. just make sure to make the most out of your practice.
Remember these formulae
Calluses + 20xPractice = always works

Calluses + Practice/20 = never works
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Speed and shredding comes with time. The only thing you can
do is keep practicing and it will eventually come.

In the mean time u should slow down and find exactly what
tempo you start to loose control at. Then work your way up.

Focus on playing Clean. Thats the best advice i can give you.
The speed will come.

Learn your scales. Pentatonic and Aeolian will take u far in
commercial music. Once u master some scales and apply some
muscle memory...it will begin to become natural..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 9, 2008,
Use a metronome. Practice scales up and down (you should be practicing at least the Minor Pentatonic and Major scales) staying at a 'maximum' tempo for a while (about a week) then attempting to play at about 2-5 BPM faster (every week). Soon that will get boring but you'll be used to playing the scales and you can start applying patterns (to a metronome as well).

We can't really give you any secret formula, most resources on the internet will tell you the exact same thing.
I can't stress enough how important is to practice with as close to perfect technique as possible. It's all muscle memory, you just have to train yourself correctly. You need to use a metronome to speed up, but make sure you can play cleanly and consistently before attempting to increase the speed at all. Practice correctly and you'll play better.

Just remember the golden rule of shredding: speed is a byproduct of accuracy.