hey, i was thinking of getting one of those nifty pedal tuners for my basic rig (budget: max 250 euro)

i've been looking around on the internet and found some tuners, but i'd like to hear some opinions or experiences with those tuners.

here's what i got so far
- peterson strobostomp 2. i hear a lot about it, supposed to one of the top line tuners, but reviews show it's unreliable, fragile and has some display issues. anyone noticed this? also some say there is an audible pop or noise when you switch it on/off

- korg pitchblack. same as with the strobostomp, someone claims there is a 'pop' or click noise when you switch it. anyone suffers from this problem?

- ibanez lu20. anyone has one of these? it looks kinda fragile to me. it's cheaper than most pedals, how's the accuracy on this pedal?
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I have the Korg and never get a click or pop sound.

I didn't realize before I bought it, but it has a 9v out, too - which is pretty cool.
SRV R.I.P.
Why not a Boss tu2? Very accurate and built like a tank.....

I've been stomping on mine forever and it works.... hell I have a friend who had one get wet.... so he "baked" it in the oven to dry it, only to forget about it..... the whole face of it warped and melted... but that sucker still works years later...

I swear, if there were ever a nuclear holocaust..... all that would be left would be roaches and tu2's.

and it has a power out for a daisy chain....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
Why not a Boss tu2? Very accurate and built like a tank.....

I've been stomping on mine forever and it works.... hell I have a friend who had one get wet.... so he "baked" it in the oven to dry it, only to forget about it..... the whole face of it warped and melted... but that sucker still works years later...

I swear, if there were ever a nuclear holocaust..... all that would be left would be roaches and tu2's.

and it has a power out for a daisy chain....

the boss pedal is not true bypass. plus the korg pitchblack is actually cheaper, so i'm leaning towards the korg
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at May 9, 2008,
Quote by angl2k
the boss pedal is not true bypass. plus the korg pitchblack is actually cheaper, so i'm leaning towards the korg

don't get caught up on true bypass... its more of a marketing tool to make you believe it a product is better..... in fact, if you connect a few true bypass pedals together... they will degrade your tone more than pedals with buffers.... the longer the chain, the more the signal degrades. Buffers help to push the signal along.... NOW, not all buffered pedals are the same and I recommend all pedals be tried out with respective rigs to be sure there is no coloring of your tone!.... but ya need to not get hung up on "true bypass"... and I have been a tone snob for a long time... no pedal hits my board if it is noisy or colors my tone.... and I have been a TU2 user for years.

I'm not saying true bypass is bad either... keep that in mind too.

The Korg has a very good reputation for being a quality pedal for a lower price so you still can't go wrong!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Scratch all of those options and look into the new Planet Waves pedal tuner.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I have the LU20 and its a good pedal for the money. If you gig Id probably go with something else but If you just play at home Id definatly go for it.
I've got a Boss TU-2 and it is def. worth it. Easy to use, great for live shows and is built like a tank. Won't regret it.
thanks for all the replies.

atm i don't have any pedal, so one pedal shouldn't make that much of a difference i suppose.

i'll just have to get my ass to the stores and check the lot out
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo