Well the summer is on it's way, the weather's great and the sun is shining, so I decided it's time to start the paddling season this weekend. I'm going to drive to our summer place and take my kayak for a spin in the archipelago.

Although it's not a travel kayak, more like something in between a standard and a racing fibreglass kayak - More speed at the expense of less balance, you can make longer journeys with it.

It has a foot controlled rudder to make navigation easier in the swell, so I'm able to go for around a 4-hour trip by just paddling forwards and steering with the rudder.

I like kayaking cause you're more in touch with the water than with a rowboat for example, and it's far more hasty as well. Not to mention that it's great cardio exercise for your whole body, not just the upper torso; As you're moving with a less balanced kayak, you have to use your feet inside the kayak, pushing with the left leg as the right paddle is in the water and so on to keep balance.

experiences/ questions about kayaks/kayaking?

If you haven't tried yet, you need to!

tl;dr: Kayaks, woot.
....someone managed to capsize me. They kept poking my kayak and flicking water at me. Straight in. I had to do starjumps on the side of the river.

Stupid PGL adventure holiday
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
kayaking's awesome! i've only done it a few times but i've never capsized.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Sol9989
kayaking's awesome! i've only done it a few times but i've never capsized.

Well it's quite an achievement to tip over the wider, plastic beginner kayaks with lots of stability and less speed. It's still nice though, everybody starts with those.

EDIT: saphrax, that made me want to travel to australia even more.

Quote by iplay6string
none whatsoever...

anyway!

*reported*
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at May 9, 2008,
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Stupid PGL adventure holiday

holy crap i remember those

i have only been in a kayak once but i liked it a lot

i think this will be an activity i have to try again when i go newquay this year

someone died in a kayak in the river dee near me recently
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7360487.stm
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
I've been kayaking once and it was funking awesome.
Prefered the gorge walking though.. even in bitterly cold scottish waters.
Also cheers for bringing to my attention that own neither a "summer place" nor a kayak
Quote by alkalineweeman
I've been kayaking once and it was funking awesome.
Prefered the gorge walking though.. even in bitterly cold scottish waters.
Also cheers for bringing to my attention that own neither a "summer place" nor a kayak

Haha, nice... Trust me, it's shabbier than it sounds like. I got the kayak for free and patched a few holes up
Quote by angry armadillo
holy crap i remember those

We're well cool
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
We're well cool
did you ever go to menai, that was a funky place when you were 12
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
I would love to do it again...but since nobody wants to join me...I'll just stay home and play my guitar xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by angry armadillo
did you ever go to menai, that was a funky place when you were 12

Awwhh nopey.

I just went PGL when I was 11, with my high school. Yay
Quote by SteveHouse
i moved house so i got to go to PGL with my primary school and menai the next year with high school, they were both pretty much the same but i got to go twice
This thread confused me.

I read the title and I thought "Kaya.....king? King of Kaya?"

I had to read the post to understand I felt like a tool lol.

But kayaking is feckin' awesome. I've only done it once and it was really fun, but no-one I know wants to do it, so I'm very disappointed.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']

EDIT: saphrax, that made me want to travel to australia even more.
*reported*

Do it!

Honestly, it was one of the best things I ever did. Loads of amazing places to visit, interesting and unique things to do. The people you meet out there is another thing entirely.
I go whitewater kayaking every weekend, it's so much fun!

Kayaking ftw!
"You cant fight in here, this is the war room!"
Kayaking is sooo fun Especially when you fall in the shitass water of the shitty docks your dickhead instructers take you because they're lazy fuckers and you end up getting sick for 2 weeks.

Other than that it was brilliant.
Grønlændervending FTFW

I love kayaking, I do it every summer, it's too bad there's so few rivers here though

Gotta go all the way to jutland to find some decent ones
i've been kayaking two times in my life... although i still think that i can say i love it.
it's great exercise, and great relaxation as well, there's nearly no noise whatsoever.

i wish i had one.
Quote by *Juno*
Any of you go into the sea?

If you do i'll hunt you down....god damn goatboaters

on holiday last year we went to newquay (seaside town non-uk peeps)

anyway, we took a blow up dinghy in the sea and the beach was basically like a 'u' shape, the beach was at the bottom, but the land went quite far out each side anyway so it was pretty safe.

we figured we would be boys and see how far we could get our dinghy out to sea, then this lifeguard dude on a surfboard came out and told us to go back coz we had gone too far

then he spotted a kayak even further out so he shouted at him to turn around and go nearer to shore. At this point the kayaker properly gave it beans and went all the way out to sea and round the corner of the 'u' shape haha it was funny.
Me and my dad both own a kayak and hes a qualified instructor
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362