Hey people
im obviously a metal head and have been playing guitar for about 3 and a half years now
ive got a Schecter Omen 6 for my main guitar and a Fender Cyber Twin amp..
problem is my guitar, i havent put and new and fancy pickups or anythingy like that...
im just not sure what to buy or anything, all i know is that im going for a Death / Thrash / Melodic Metal tone...
so plz give me some advice on how to upgrade and customise my metal guitar
ta
Gear:
Schecter Omen 6
EMG 81/85
Fender Cyber Twin SE
VOX V847 Wah-Wah

Well, for every 1 poster that answers you'll probably end up with 2-1 ratio of recommendations per poster. (that allows for a few posters to give the same recommendation, but I'm making a joke that everyone will say different things probably )
But the basics would be, to me: some sort of high output pickups. This is where you'll get tons of differing advice on what to get. Then make sure you got the proper pickup height set.

Then, if it were me, I'd get a good set of locking machine head tuners and have them installed. But I think that's a pretty good idea for any guitar, even if you don't have a trem. At least upgrade the tuner heads from the stock Schecters. But honestly, that doesn't have much to do with tone.

Now, a bigger question...what effects do you run, if any, before that Cyber Twin?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
effects, well befor i had my Cyber Twin i use to use a DigiTech Death Metal petal.. but i dont use that no more.. now ive got my Cyber Twin with heaps of Presets and i just chose and customised the best distortion one on the amp... if it helps i use the effect Dual Richer +
Gear:
Schecter Omen 6
EMG 81/85
Fender Cyber Twin SE
VOX V847 Wah-Wah

Oh, so that's Fender's modeling amp? Whoops, somehow that slipped right by me. Totally bricked on that one, I did.

Well...I would suggest this then...do you have friends with guitars, or more specifically different style guitars, like Strats or other single coilers? Have them come over and plug in. See if, with that modeling amp, you actually hear a great tonal difference on the exact same settings between guitars. If not, then you do nothing until you get a non-modeling amp. To be perfectly frank. The point behind most of those modeling amps is to take those other elements out of it.

And I have a Schecter 006 Deluxe myself, which have those same stock pickups you have in your Omen. With my modeling amp, I don't hear enough tonal difference in the pickups to swap them. In the future, when I get a non-modeler? You bet I'm going to swap 'em. But not now, just a waste of money at the current point in time.

Does that make any sense to you? Or did I ramble, I do that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The others seem to have covered a lot.....and i know its not to do with the guitar itself, but i can recommend "scooping" the tone.

This is a trick that quite a few neat guitarists worked out, around the time that metal became less about singing about dragons/ playing fast blues solos.....and more about grinding Hardcore riffage and screaming.

Scooping is basically creating a more extreme sine-wave for the guitars tone. Distortion itself clips the top and bottom part of the signal, and runs it through a series of capacitors to smooth out the signal....producing a square-edged sine-wave.

Now scooping is a step beyond this......on your amp settings cut out the mid-frequencies completely, and instead crank up the high and low. This will give the sine-wave more extreme properties....giving you grinding, chugging sorta industrial sounding distortion.

This is a favourite trick of ol' Dimebag (RIP)
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
The others seem to have covered a lot.....and i know its not to do with the guitar itself, but i can recommend "scooping" the tone.

This is a trick that quite a few neat guitarists worked out, around the time that metal became less about singing about dragons/ playing fast blues solos.....and more about grinding Hardcore riffage and screaming.

Scooping is basically creating a more extreme sine-wave for the guitars tone. Distortion itself clips the top and bottom part of the signal, and runs it through a series of capacitors to smooth out the signal....producing a square-edged sine-wave.

Now scooping is a step beyond this......on your amp settings cut out the mid-frequencies completely, and instead crank up the high and low. This will give the sine-wave more extreme properties....giving you grinding, chugging sorta industrial sounding distortion.

This is a favourite trick of ol' Dimebag (RIP)

Dude, Metallica were scooping in 1983.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
and scooping is something people stopped when they realized you just sound like static on stage.

mids scoopage you can sometimes get away with on recordings granted that every other instrument has been compensated as well..

mids scoopage is ok when you're praticing at home.

but in general, its a bad habit to get into and won't sound all that good to anyone who is listneing to you, or trying to mic your amp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I agree, im not big on scooping either. Loads of crappy emo bands and new metal bands scoop their tone way too much, and yeah you're right they just sound like a load of white noise normally. Just a massive wave off bass.

See, the way i see it a band is an ensemble....let the bass guitar handle the bass, its what its there for. I dont see why so many guitarists choose to scoop their tone for live shows..... but the effect does sorta work in the studio, or if you're just jamming.

Oh and BaffAttack, i know man....just saying that Dime is pretty famous for it. Not that he came up with it.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde

Oh and BaffAttack, i know man....just saying that Dime is pretty famous for it. Not that he came up with it.

I was actually saying that in reply to this:

around the time that metal became less about singing about dragons/ playing fast blues solos.....and more about grinding Hardcore riffage and screaming.

I was just saying that Metallica pretty much predated that by a couple of years. At least how I interpreted the comment.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣