Hi guys, ive narrowed down my next guitar decision to either upgrade an old one or buy a new one. I have some ideas that i really like for the upgrade option and there is a nice guitar i would like to buy. The upgrade option would be considerably cheaper although.

Any help or comments are welcome....

EDIT: I play indie, rock, i little bit of metal, but mainly muse songs.

The guitar is a SX strat knock-off i got second hand for AUD$150

I only want to spend about AUD$250 on new pickups, new pickguard, bridge, tuners, electronics, paint.

The guitar i would buy is a ESP/LTD Ec-50 (dont care if its not a gibson SG or wateva, im on a budget and i really like it)
Last edited by halvies at May 9, 2008,
If you still have that Squier Stratocaster then I say BUY! That guitar base quality is so bad it would be a waste upgrading.
well what are you upgrading?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
We need to know what you play, what you want, and what the guitar you would be upgrading is. Oh, and budget.
Ah thanks. Yeah, you should scrap the strat. They're ****. I got really into metal when I was still using my strat and when I first walked into the shop and played my Dime o Flame. I realized how much easier the fretboard is to play on.

And why the EC-500? How about an AX, or perhaps a Dean. For the best quality Jackson. Tell me if you want a trem and what type of pickups you want and I can suggest some models.

And yeah, The SG's, Les Pauls.... They're crap and you only pay for the name.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Ah thanks. Yeah, you should scrap the strat. They're ****. I got really into metal when I was still using my strat and when I first walked into the shop and played my Dime o Flame. I realized how much easier the fretboard is to play on.

And why the EC-500? How about an AX, or perhaps a Dean. For the best quality Jackson. Tell me if you want a trem and what type of pickups you want and I can suggest some models.

And yeah, The SG's, Les Pauls.... They're crap and you only pay for the name.

So many idiotic things in that post, I'm not even going to bother.
Quote by webbtje
So many idiotic things in that post, I'm not even going to bother.

Such nice people on this website.
Saying Gibsons are crap is a pretty bloody idiotic thing to say. As is saying strats are crap.
can i just get an opinion, i dont want an internet fight (as manly as they are), i just want opinions. BTW i have another guitar which i also really like, and was just doing this cos i thought i could turn this crappy guitar (which doesnt even sound that bad) into a cool looking axe
putting good pickups hardware and stuff on your guitar could be like polishing a turd just making it an expensive turd.. go and play some guitars in stores and compare how they feel and play then you'll be able to make a better decision..
Shut up and play your guitar!