Ok. Once that stimulus package comes out i'm going to have about $400 for a new amp. I have heard good and bad things about the valveking 112, about it needing new tubes and a speaker which i would prefer to not have to buy at the moment or even upgrade later on. I play metal from metallica to korn to slipknot. Would i be ok with the valveking or would I be better off with the roland cube 60x for this kind of music?
of course the VK would be much better.
IT's all tube and it has lots of gain.
If you play metal it's not really necessary to get a new speaker...
Maby for blues yeah...but not for metal.
I've got mine stock and I play punk/punk rock.
It rocks.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
it might be too loud if you want lots of tube saturation, but honestly I like the Roland Cube better than the VK. Save up more and but something that's more of an upgrade.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it might be too loud if you want lots of tube saturation, but honestly I like the Roland Cube better than the VK. Save up more and but something that's more of an upgrade.

haha about anything is going to be a nice upgrade from my frontman 15g
With valve amps you do have to replace the tubes. Also tubes don't crunch up until you get them loud. A solids state can give a reasonable crunch at a lower volume. Based on your stated desires, I'd say go with the Roland, even though I think the the valve king is a better amp.
Guitar & Bass
Quote by Hosscat
With valve amps you do have to replace the tubes. Also tubes don't crunch up until you get them loud. A solids state can give a reasonable crunch at a lower volume. Based on your stated desires, I'd say go with the Roland, even though I think the the valve king is a better amp.

i know you have to replace them eventually but i heard people saying that VKs come with terrible tubes and speakers and are only worth buying if you replace those right away
Quote by forsaknazrael
What people are failing to mention is that the VK doesn't have that much gain on its own. It doesn't get that heavy. Don't know if you'd get the tones you want from it.

I just put a Bad Monkey in front of mine
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 212
The music store up the street from me is selling a new Randall RG50TC with a tiny nick out of the tolex for US$395. That's a great deal. He said it's his cost. Call around locally and see if you can spot a deal like that maybe?