what do you think determines a good guitarist? also, a bad guitarist?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
A good guitarist is one that can put amazing techniques, play them clean and proper and add them into a composition and achieve the feeling he wishes to receiving the piece he just composed.
good is someone who can sit down with other musicians and be able to improvise.

bad is someone who can only play other people's music by memorizing tabs.
SRV R.I.P.
Good is an antonym of evil, so if you are benevolent and a guitarist you are a good guitarist.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
A good guitarist - though this goes for any instrument really - is someone who can play a decent tune. I don't care if they took formal lessons for years, if they have had a guitar in their hands since they were 4, I don't care if they know every ounce of theory or if they don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, I don't care if someone can play 2000 notes per second or just 2. My appreciation for any piece of music is very simply "does it sound good?". If it's a good tune then as far as I care, that's all that's needed.

A bad guitarist is someone who doesn't know how to make the most of their abilities; someone who can play stupidly fast and nails every technique perfectly, but can't string together anything that actually sounds nice. Yngwie Malwhateverthe**** and the guys from Dragonforce are the worst offenders of this. So what if you can tap a hundred notes a bar, when those notes just make a random mess of inaudible noise with no direction then it's been a waste of everyone's time.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A good guitarist is someone who puts their heart and soul into everything they play instead of just shredding random notes (although that is cool too)

A bad guitarist is someone who ^^^ (above post basically covered what i was going to say)
A good guitarist is someone who has a "feel" for the instrument. No "one" discipline is needed.....but a combination of musical theory, mechanical, electronical and perhaps most importantly personality.

I know guitarists that can write a good solo, but cant play it for crap. On the flip side....i know excellent guitarists that just dont know how to write good songs, or dont know the processes used in actually producing them.

I know guitarists that play note perfectly....never missing a beat.....but play with rubbish tone that totally undermines them. But also i know guitarists that struggle to play....but have an incredible instinct for guitar tone and effects.

So what makes a good guitarist?

Talent, Passion, Knowledge and Intelligence.

And a hell of a load of practice.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
someone who doesn't follow a trend just to be like someone else. come up with your own style and be unique.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Korg Toneworks AX1500G pedal board
Morley Wah pedal
Unique style with great technical ability but also an ability for writing music and improvising.
MrFlibble-- you are rediculous if you think Yngwie Malmsteen is a bad guitarist

and i think a guitarist is only as good as his improvisation.
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Quote by MrFlibble
someone who can play stupidly fast and nails every technique perfectly, but can't string together anything that actually sounds nice. Yngwie Malwhateverthe**** and the guys from Dragonforce are the worst offenders of this. So what if you can tap a hundred notes a bar, when those notes just make a random mess of inaudible noise with no direction then it's been a waste of everyone's time.

Yngwie Malmsteen has a lot of emotion and feeling in a lot of his pieces...how much of him have you actually listened to?
Listen to the Following Songs:

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption
Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond the Sun
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Lenny
Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution (Guitarist was Randy Rhoads)
Ronnie James Dio & Yngwie Malmsteen - Dream On
Kiss - God Gave Rock & Roll to you 3 (Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey Version Featuring Guitarists Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley, and an Intro by Steve Vai (Formerly of Whitesnake, now, one of the TWO ReOccuring Members of G3)
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by MrFlibble
A good guitarist - though this goes for any instrument really - is someone who can play a decent tune. I don't care if they took formal lessons for years, if they have had a guitar in their hands since they were 4, I don't care if they know every ounce of theory or if they don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, I don't care if someone can play 2000 notes per second or just 2. My appreciation for any piece of music is very simply "does it sound good?". If it's a good tune then as far as I care, that's all that's needed.

A bad guitarist is someone who doesn't know how to make the most of their abilities; someone who can play stupidly fast and nails every technique perfectly, but can't string together anything that actually sounds nice. Yngwie Malwhateverthe**** and the guys from Dragonforce are the worst offenders of this. So what if you can tap a hundred notes a bar, when those notes just make a random mess of inaudible noise with no direction then it's been a waste of everyone's time.

You sir, are a moron.
Quote by MrFlibble

I mostly agree.

There is a degree of technical skill that is required I think... Anyone can pound power chords and pretend to be a rock god on the weekends with their buddies, but the truth pretty much comes to this:

You're a good guitarist if other people tell you that you're better than you think of yourself as being. On an objective scale my guitar abilities that I give myself are below average for a professional... Maybe a 4/10... Other people, some trained musicians, some not. Talk me up far more than I ever have or ever will.

Good guitarists (or those who are better than good) let their hands and their strings do the talking; they don't tell you they're god. They speak to you in notes. If they can sing while they do it then all the better; then they can speak to people in a harmony, melody, rhythm, and language all at the same time if they so choose...

Poor/"bad" guitarists cannot improvise, often brag about their abilities, are lacking in the technical or mechanical know-how or physical ability to achieve the sounds in their head (assuming those sounds are better than sludge lacking in all musical qualities) and worship at the alter of bull$h!t guitar gods: the 'gods' are all just humans too; they've just worked to perfect a creative talent.

On a ranting note: There is no such thing as a guitar god! There are people who are untouchably technically talented, and have spent the time and training to learn how to compose, and arrange their music; along with determination to find the tones and the manipulations that bring out their unique talents and interests. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, and many others can be included on this list. That doesn't make them gods: it just means they've cared more than you have for longer about guitar. If you pour the amount of time, energy, and emotion into your instrument; any instrument, as they have in their lifetimes thus far: you'll make a huge impression in your own right.
Last edited by RadioMuse at May 10, 2008,
i would define a good guitarist as someon who can hear something in their mind and then play exactly what they want to hear.