Page 1 of 2
I don't think many of you will be bothered to real all this, and i don't blame ya', but i need some advice. And yes, i do realise this is the pit.

EDIT: Summary at the bottom because this is just too stupidly long to expect people to read.

For the last few years, ive been really focused on going into the business / finance industry as a carear. I was gonna do economics or maybe actuarial science at uni. However, for the last few weeks ive been having this strong urge to go into music and try and make it work in a band. So now, i've got this dilema:

1) Go and become an accountant or something and have a secure future and probably a nice standard of living straight away. I sort of enjoy it, and am pretty good at that sort of stuff. Not exactly my dream though.
2) Go and do a guitar degree at a contempary music college, where i will put everything into becoming a great guitarist, and making a succesfull band, but risk ending up without a job and any sort of income.

At the start, i was all for option 2. I was really enthousiastic about it all and confident i could do it. However, after doing research and asking some questions, reality did finally hit me and i realised how damn risky it was. I've worked hard all my life at school and have got pretty good grades. Do i want to throw it away for a small chance of making it in what i love (i don't mean make it big, but just doing fairly well, and being able to have an ok standard of living)? Also when i told my parents about the whole 'i wanna go and become a rockstar' thing, they just told me i would end up with no job and will just waste my life and they basicly just laughed at me.

So by now, i was thinking well im pretty much gonna have to go for option 1. But i realised i still really really really want to be a musician. Its one of the few things in life i love doing. So i came up with a sort of plan with the help of my teacher at school, whos knows everything. So basicly, ive decided to try and mix both paths together. Im planning to do a 1 year higher guitar diploma in my GAP year, which teaches me the playing side of guitar, and also about producing and recording and about the business side of the industry. Hopefully during that, il refine everything, and learn more about the industry as a whole, and make contacts which will come in usefull later. Then, im going to go to university, and do a degree like in business or economics or something.

Hopefully after this, i will have a huge range of things i can do in music, and not just rely on trying to make it in a band. Obviosly i want to play in a band, but with this degree i could maybe make it in a business side of things as well, which could help the band, or even be a complete back up if everything fails. I will then at least have a more secure future, and be able to do something i love and something that will pay to.

So the big question is, what degree could i do, and how would it benefit in the music industry. And im just looking for business side things, not anything to do with music making like audio production. I was thinking maybe accountancy might help with managing the band etc. But to be honest i really don't know enough about the music industry.

Sorry that this is so long. I can't actually beleive its this long myself. It is pretty damn long isn't it. I feel like this might just be a really pointless thread seeing as the question is pretty much summed up in the title. Anyway, if you have any advice / flaming / rants / want to tell me im thinking about it too much etc, let me know.

SUMMARY: WHAT NON MUSIC RELATED DEGREE WILL HELP IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, EITHER IN A BAND OR ON THE BUSINESS SIDE.

Didn't read the whole thing but I'd recommend getting an alternate degree and doing the band thing on the side. Chances are your band won't make it big (sorry) and if you do do well the amount of bands making two albums and being dropped is increasing, so its a temporary career unless you're doing it for the love of music rather than money and a living.
If you do a degree in something there's no reason why you can't put that on hold for a couple of years after getting it and attempting the band thing. At least you'll have something strong to fall back on.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by metaldud536
WTF? English, do you speak it?!

ill repeat myself

Recording guy is a major part in music and he wants a degree that can help with music but isnt exactly music

so he can try get something in maths, computing, or business management
Quote by Martindecorum
ill repeat myself

Recording guy is a major part in music and he wants a degree that can help with music but isnt exactly music

so he can try get something in maths, computing, or business management

Ok..graphic designer. Design band shirts, logos, cd packets, cd covers, cd labels, promotional posters for bands and tours.

But you gotta be creative.
management, the record industry is sort of collapsing in on itself, but touring bands will always need managers, so you have more job security that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by metaldud536
Ok..graphic designer. Design band shirts, logos, cd packets, cd covers, cd labels, promotional posters for bands and tours.

But you gotta be creative.

thats a good one actually. cause i love cd art some look sick but then some look pathetic
and i tend to u no NOT BUY crap looking cd art lol. if im picking a random band which i sometimes do lol
I'm taking music, music technology, physics, and maths at A Level.

The maths is to help with the physics, but I'll probably end up dropping it.

Hopefully that'll give me a good start, and I do some home recording already, and my dad's cousin is a successful composer, with a home recording studio, I'm gonna talk to him and see if he can give me help.
I'm kinda feel the same way as you.

The last few years I've really gotten into music and I decided thats what I want to do for the future. I can't picture myself working in a cubicle punching numbers all day.

I know that becoming a successful musician is very tough and very unlikely, but I still want to work in the music industry so I'm going to be doing my degree as Sound Engineering/Music Production. That way I can work in record labels and still make music on the side by doing something I love.

The degree also comes with a Business minor. And if I can't make it into a big record label there are always so many other things to do with that major with sound/music. Such as working for video game companies making music and sound, working for movies and TV doing music and sound, even advertisement.

Since you don't really want to get into music production I don't suggest you get a degree in music. Just get the degree you were originally gonna get since you don't need a degree to be in a band. You just have to be good and lucky, and can always fall back to your degree for a paying job.

Don't get a graphic design major. You can easily just take classes or teach yourself (Like I did) and graphic designers barely get paid crap these days because of how easy it is and how many people can actually do the work for low pay. The average salary of a graphic designer is like $30k :\
I'm studying accounting myself...In fact, I'm in class right now.

You're pretty much guaranteed a job with a decent income if you study accounting since it's a more specialized area of business, but depending on what you do, it can be very boring.

I don't plan on devoting most of my life to work, I only hope to rack up some decent reserves so I can make a decent income from stock trading. $100,000 will pretty much set me for life.

I've got a planned $10,000 return (my dad's investing $5000 for me and will give me a good return - 10k) which is enough to make around a hundred bucks a day or so, but $100,000 will really increase my yield. I may actually just stick with the 10k and never work in my life again, but I don't think my dad would be too proud of me for that.

I was already promised a job by my rich friend's mother after graduation, so I'm pretty content with my future at the moment.
Quote by Andrewbiles
Didn't read the whole thing but I'd recommend getting an alternate degree and doing the band thing on the side. Chances are your band won't make it big (sorry) and if you do do well the amount of bands making two albums and being dropped is increasing, so its a temporary career unless you're doing it for the love of music rather than money and a living.
If you do a degree in something there's no reason why you can't put that on hold for a couple of years after getting it and attempting the band thing. At least you'll have something strong to fall back on.

Hey! That's what I'm doing!

I went and got my degree to fall back on and now I'm making a record while I have a decent job. This way, if I don't make it, hey, I already got a decent job!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Yeah my brother just graduated with an economics degree and decided to wait a year until pursuing his masters in business law.

So he's staying at home for a year and just got a job right off the bat working for a stock trader with a ~~$45k salary and he doesn't even have to work that hard. They have a gym and basketball court at his office and thats what he does all day.

You definitely can't go wrong with an accounting or economics/finance degree.
Sound engineering and Production.
If nothing this is definitely gonna help you to get somewhere.

It will help you make better music and if your music fails, you can always get a job in a recording studio...

I'm doing medicine but i also did a part-time sound-engineering and production course, which i'm gonna continue on next year too. So basically i'm doing 2 courses at once...
And if my music fails, i've always got my med degree to fall back on...!!
If it were me, I'd risk it, but because I'm giving advice to someone else, I'll say option 1.

Anyway, all my career options are seriously unstable (I want to be a writer or musician primarily) so I figure I'll just juggle them both part-time and see which one plays out. I doubt you can do that with accounting though, as it's a pretty full-time job.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by korinaflyingv
You don't need a degree to make it in a band
You do need a degree to become an accountant
go figure.

No u dont but it does help to no a lot more stuff about music in itself and the music industry so then u CAN make it in a band.

there is a lot more to it than just rocking up at some random place and play a few chords get ripped off from the buisness and go home empty handed and crowd boo because u dont appease them and manage urself and ur music right
Quote by Martindecorum
No u dont but it does help to no a lot more stuff about music in itself and the music industry so then u CAN make it in a band.

there is a lot more to it than just rocking up at some random place and play a few chords get ripped off from the buisness and go home empty handed and crowd boo because u dont appease them and manage urself and ur music right

You still don't need the actual degree, you can use your spare elective classes and take music on the side without getting an actual degree in it.
This might be too music related, but I think its worth a shot.

My dad knows this guy who is an "acoustic engineer" or something like that. He gets hired by everyone from producers to architects just to design and test studio rooms and make sure that they are as acoustically perfect as possible and makes sure they have a flat EQ. Supposedly he works a lot because he can spend moths on a 10x10 room, but he makes about $100k per project (depending on the customer of course).
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Thanks for the advice so far. I think accountancy might help, but if i did do it, it would be a pretty much full time job, leaving no time for music.

And that acoustic engineer thing sounds badass if its possible.
Quote by USAPeavey
This might be too music related, but I think its worth a shot.

My dad knows this guy who is an "acoustic engineer" or something like that. He gets hired by everyone from producers to architects just to design and test studio rooms and make sure that they are as acoustically perfect as possible and makes sure they have a flat EQ. Supposedly he works a lot because he can spend moths on a 10x10 room, but he makes about $100k per project (depending on the customer of course).

Sounds pretty cool

How often does he get that much work though?

I doubt theres that many studios / music halls opening in one city.
TS, that's a pretty inspiring thread and a good idea . I'd love to study Music at A level and for a degree, but my parents won't let me , but that idea of yours would work.
I'd say go for band management, it'll never get boring and will be full of challenges and surprises and will have a good pay (if the bands you manage are good).
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by Audio™
Sounds pretty cool

How often does he get that much work though?

I doubt theres that many studios / music halls opening in one city.

Well, he lives and works in downtown Atlanta. He works for himself, and its not what you could call a "steady job". But like I said, he could have 2 months off, then work like 60-70 hours a week for 2 months and make $100 grand or so.

EDIT: keep in mind that this situation doesn't come from designing an entire studio building or performace hall. Each room is a separate project.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Last edited by USAPeavey at May 9, 2008,
Quote by Nizzi
TS, that's a pretty inspiring thread and a good idea . I'd love to study Music at A level and for a degree, but my parents won't let me , but that idea of yours would work.
I'd say go for band management, it'll never get boring and will be full of challenges and surprises and will have a good pay (if the bands you manage are good).

Thanks man

I was thinking band management. But that isn't really a degree idea i think. I think its more to do with experience and contacts. I want a degree that can be moved to other areas just in case.
Quote by Martindecorum
learn to record. micx. and manage so u can start your own recording career all needs degrees so u pop up higher on the wanted list

I know how to record and mix fairly well (well enough to record an amateur band) and thats from pissing around at home, and using a bit of school equipment. I don't see why you'd need to manage if you were a musician in a band, if your near to making it big, you probably already have a manager...
No problem

I've just thought of something else but I'm not sure how Music related it is and how possible it is to study, but the biological/chemical reasons behind why people love Music so much has always fascinated me. Probably because I'm a bit of a science geek .
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by Nizzi
No problem

I've just thought of something else but I'm not sure how Music related it is and how possible it is to study, but the biological/chemical reasons behind why people love Music so much has always fascinated me. Probably because I'm a bit of a science geek .

Thats a new one lol, but could be genious!
Il have a think about it.

All this thinking about what i want to do is so stressfull. I just wanna play guitar
Page 1 of 2