ok i have been browsing UG forums for a while now and finally decided to make an account. ok so what i was wondering is what pickups i should put in my strat. im kinda fed up of the stock pick-up and wanted to know of what i should keep or change, what pickups you would recommend and in what positions. i play all of classic rock, and alot of dire straits style stuff, but im wanting to move into some heavier metal such as metallica, tool, machine head sorta stuff. is there any combinations of pick-ups that you would recommend to cover such a wide variety of music? or is it just not possible?
Dimarzio PAF pro, jack of all trades, master of none. Very versatile and a great pickup. Look into putting one of those in the bridge of the strat, that oughta give you some tone options.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I put a bunch of Duncans in my HSS strat. Let me try to remember what I did, because, even in my Mex strat, they sounded great.

Alnico Pro II Staggered (APS-1) in neck position.
Custom Staggered (SSL-5) in middle position.
'59 Humbucker in bridge position.

I swear by the two single coils. They sounded really smooth.
_______
|||||||||||||||
its a marshal valvestate sumfing, i cant remember the number, and its a sss strat, but i am looking into difrent scratch plates so it would not matter it too much if i changed it to a hss, sorry the late reply my internet decided to stop for a coffee break!
Last edited by alidunwoodie at May 9, 2008,
Quote by alidunwoodie
its a marshal valvestate sumfing, i cant remember the number, and its a sss strat

Well, I don't know how good that amp is but....

I know someone who has a set of EMG singles in their strat. They do a brilliant sounding money for nothing cover and the sound is nice

I use lace sensors. they can handle heavier stuff but still sound great clean...
Quote by supergerbil

I use lace sensors. they can handle heavier stuff but still sound great clean...

yeh i have looked into them but wasnt sure if i could get a decent heavy tone from them, wot ones did you get? that would be a great help for me! thanks
Quote by alidunwoodie
yeh i have looked into them but wasnt sure if i could get a decent heavy tone from them, wot ones did you get? that would be a great help for me! thanks

Red, blue and silver. They can easily handle the heaviest stuff I play, but that is like hard rock. I don't play metal. If you listen to the clips on the Lace website you can hear for yourself.

I must worn you however, many people give them bad reviews. I however absolutely adore them. The neck is really smooth. Chords sound full and warm and single notes just leap out of the guitar. On clean it is really nice. The mid is like a strat pickup but slightly warmer. The bridge has most of the standard strat pickups treble but is slightly warmer. However when distorted the pickup sounds just as good as it does clean. The bridge gives me some really nice parts and is awesome. The neck distorted gives a really smooth distorted tone.

Clean postions 2 and 4 are suprisingly stratty and can give me some really nice funky tones or hendrix tones. Pos 4 can still give that strat chime.

Overall: great pickups when versatilty is needed, but not totally vintage-strat sounding.
glad I could help. Personally I'd recommend them to every one if I could- I just love them that much.
Quote by supergerbil
Personally I'd recommend them to every one if I could- I just love them that much.

It's the same way I feel about my Duncans. Unfortunately my strat's cheap and the bridge keeps eating the D string unless I put rubber tubing on it. I haven't played it in years. But I might get a cheap American or another Mex and switch the pickups out.

I know how you feel about the warm, smooth sound once you switch them.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay
It's the same way I feel about my Duncans. Unfortunately my strat's cheap and the bridge keeps eating the D string unless I put rubber tubing on it. I haven't played it in years. But I might get a cheap American or another Mex and switch the pickups out.

I know how you feel about the warm, smooth sound once you switch them.

Yeah, I put them in a mexican. Whichever is your preferance.

TS: If your isn't great as forsaknazrael says then maybe you should listen to him...