I have an Epiphone SG 1967 re-issue, and decided to get the PAF '57 humbuckers as replacement for the stock pickups. I got the CLassic for neck, and the Plus for bridge.

Anyhow, I replaced the neck pickup first, all went fine. Played for a month, and then decided to replace the bridge pickup too to have the matching pair of PAFs.

After wiring the bridge pickup, I plugged in and tapped my pickups... no sound! Nada! I have all volume up, trebele up etc, and in ANY switch position I get no sound out of either pickup. It's dead! I can confirm that tapping on the unplugged cord does produce sound, so I know the amp etc are all OK and with enough volume.

I checked all my wiring, seems OK. This is a really simple solder job, I can't see what could have gone wrong with the second install... please help with ideas. I gave up after verifying the wiring and looking for shorts... all seems OK. Are there some obvious simple tests I should be performing?
Sorry, what is GBC? Another forum?

Regarding the cold solder joints: I do have one that I just made that turned out somewhat dull. But I test for continuituty, and it passed.... wouldn't this discard the possibility of a cold solder joint altogether?

Thanks for your help
It is unlikely the be the soldering. Even the the solder was dull, the connection would still be bridged in some form and you would get a signal....

....granted not necessarily a very nice signal, but the lack of sound completely leads me to believe that the problem is with the hummer itself.

If you have a multi-metre you could test this.
Servant woman! Fetch me a drying cloth at once!!
Never mind guys, I desoldered, resoldered, and everything is fine now. I guess something was shorting, although my tests indicated otherwise.
Quote by Gilmour_Wylde
....granted not necessarily a very nice signal, but the lack of sound completely leads me to believe that the problem is with the hummer itself.

Wrong-o! It's very unlikely that a pickup will break. These things are hardy, with models from the 50's and beyond still functioning.

Soldering however, can very easily be the problem. You NEVER want cold solder joint in a circuit. They're unreliable, and can be a continuity problem, as it likely was, here.

In any case, yes the GBC is the Gear Building and Customizing forum, another sub forum of the Instruments section, there's a lot more guitar modders and people that can help you. I just happen to frequent several of the Instrument sub forums. Glad it worked out.