What's a better than average multi effects unit I could use for a few different effects.
I was thinking Boss GT 10 but that's quite a bit of coinage. What about maybe the Boss ME 50 or ME 20? Anybody have one? All comments and opinions welcome.
Quote by selkies
i got a vox tonelab se its great

I forgot all about the Tonelab man. Thanks. I was hoping not to spend that much money but will if I have to I guess.
Anybody use the Line 6 pod XL? Is that one any good or no?
What is your budget for this? have you played thru any yet. There are some benefits to these (multi effect, combine effects, USB, headphone, etc) and there are also some pitfalls (mainly they sound digital and do not have that pure sound).

General concensus here is to get individual pedals which is my next step.

i'm not that familiar with the Boss, but for $150 my Digitech RP250 is not too bad. I recently put up some clips in my Profile in mp3s and it is strait from Digitech to PC using Audacity software.

No need to point out to me my mistakes or how 'digital' it sounds because I already know that. I put them up for that reason alone really. The Flange example is probably the worst effect on there as it has a hard time recreating that Flange sound as you can imagine.

http://www.digitech.com/products/RP250/

the x50 series i would recommend over the plastic ones and if you go this route make sure you get one that has the X-Edit software available as it makes tweaking a lot easier.

hope that helps

;
I have had a POD XT and currently use a POD X3 Live, and I also have a BOSS ME-50. IMO, if you're trying to go "cheap", I would consider a good condition, used ME-50 or XT Live, you can find them under $200 (I bought my ME-50 from a guy on Craigslist for $160 cash, with the power adaptor, in brand new condition, just no box or manual). I think I like the POD series overall more than the BOSS modellers, but if you don't want amp simulations, just pedals/volume/wah, then the ME-50 probably has everything you need. Also, I've noticed some friends picking up older GT's, like the GT-6, for around $200, which does way more, but I like the ME-50 since it doesn't have an LCD to navigate through and set a bunch of options digitally.
Quote by sdhupelia
I have had a POD XT and currently use a POD X3 Live, and I also have a BOSS ME-50. IMO, if you're trying to go "cheap", I would consider a good condition, used ME-50 or XT Live, you can find them under $200 (I bought my ME-50 from a guy on Craigslist for $160 cash, with the power adaptor, in brand new condition, just no box or manual). I think I like the POD series overall more than the BOSS modellers, but if you don't want amp simulations, just pedals/volume/wah, then the ME-50 probably has everything you need. Also, I've noticed some friends picking up older GT's, like the GT-6, for around $200, which does way more, but I like the ME-50 since it doesn't have an LCD to navigate through and set a bunch of options digitally.

Thanks for posting. I really don't need a "modeler" per se. I just need a unit the has the basic effects like Chorus, Delay, Flanger, Trem.,etc: Maybe the Boss ME 50 would be a good choice for me. The GT 10 is starting to seem like more than I would, or could, use.
GT 8 or XTL minimum. A friend of mine just upgraded his ME 33 to an ME 50 and it still can't compete with my XTL. You get what you pay for.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
GT 8 or XTL minimum. A friend of mine just upgraded his ME 33 to an ME 50 and it still can't compete with my XTL. You get what you pay for.

Will the GT 10 sound good through a valve amp, or will it sound too digital? I'm really worried I'll spend $500 and not like it. I don't really need the looper on it either.
well so this example is not of the RP500 (its the 250) but it is the same chip. It was created by Konkordmusk earlier this year. I'm not saying it doesn't sound digital but he plays better than I do and he def running thru amp.

Search for thread: Blowing up my girlfriends garage pt 2 ( i think it got moved to the pit)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754730&highlight=blowing+up+my+girlfriends+garage

Go to bottom of first page for video (not pics) and then he has others in there after that.

I don't gig or anything and i'm def not an expert at this stuff just trying to help you along. I play mine thru Valveking on clean channel and it is OK but again, not like the real deal.

Also, i bet there are clips on youtube so check there too. Only replied as it is entertaining at the least.

later,

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 9, 2008,
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Thanks for posting. I really don't need a "modeler" per se. I just need a unit the has the basic effects like Chorus, Delay, Flanger, Trem.,etc: Maybe the Boss ME 50 would be a good choice for me. The GT 10 is starting to seem like more than I would, or could, use.

If you want great effects, what about the TC Electronic Nova System? A bit more expensive and less versatile than the GT-10 but the effect quality is much higher.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
You can find the gt-6 for a $100.00 used right now. Might be a good starting place.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
The TC Nova System may be the best sub-$1000 mfx unit on the market as far as I'm concerned.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
If you have a good amp then go with the ME50, amp modelers are only good if you have a crap amp or you want to do some recording.
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
so like is there a catch with these multi effect pedals? because i'm feeling like i wasted money on a chorus pedal, overdrive, reverb, etc when i could of had it all in one for cheaper.

like do they sound terrible compared to the popular pedals or what..?

i think you should go with the ME 50, i'm about to get it myself now..
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
so like is there a catch with these multi effect pedals? because i'm feeling like i wasted money on a chorus pedal, overdrive, reverb, etc when i could of had it all in one for cheaper.

like do they sound terrible compared to the popular pedals or what..?

It's a compromise between cost, tone, and versatility. Multi effects pedals generally sacrifice a good bit of the tone in order to offer lots of versatility at an affordable price. Personally I think most of them sound like crap.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
It's a compromise between cost, tone, and versatility. Multi effects pedals generally sacrifice a good bit of the tone in order to offer lots of versatility at an affordable price. Personally I think most of them sound like crap.

Basically.

Though you have to take into account the quality of the single pedals and MFX, I mean, I'd rather have a higher end POD or GT pedal than a pedalboard full of Behringer and Danelectro mini pedals.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I don't know, guys, I have to tell you, I use the simulations of BOSS DS-1 distortion, chorus, flanger, digital delay and blues driver pedals in the ME-50, and similar simulations in the POD products, and I really can't tell the difference between that and the real thing. I mean, sure, if you're in Pearl Jam or whatever you may as well spend the money for the "authentic", but the action on the stomps and the pivot and resistance feel of the volume/wah pedal on either unit is all just right, and the sound is very very good. I've been keeping the POD X3 Live at home and taking the ME-50 Boss out to play at a rehearsal space, and just plug into whatever amp they have in there at the time, and it sounds fantastic. Plus, there are so many users of these things that you can just Google for presets to sound close to different songs or artists. I think it's a way easier setup, at least for me.
Like I said with a good tube amp the ME50's modulations and delay's sound very good, the ods/dist aren't the best but are very useable.

Its a good solid MFX unit and great for gigging
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Thanks for all the input everyone.
I think I've cut it down between the Boss GT 10.
and the Digitech RP 500. I know the Boss sounds pretty darn good, now I just want to hear the RP 500. Digitech has the most awful soundbites of that on their website too. Can't get a good idea @ all. Geesh...
i just traded a bunch of my single pedals for a GT8. for reviews on the new gt10, go to BOSSGTcentral.com

One of the downfalls of the multi-fx unit is the complexity of the set up. I have been reading and tweaking and reading again. There is so many combinations of connection options, levels to adjust, parameters to tweak, fx chains to rotate......It can be overwhelming.
with just pedals you can plug in and go. I am prepared to be patient for the amazing versitility.......are you.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Actually, I'm leaving shortly to go purchase a GT 10 @ guitar center. I'm gonna give it a shot. Yeah, I'm pretty patient, I'll get the jist of it after a couple of weeks or so I hope. I'm really kind of new to effects in general so I think this thing will be my best bet for now and later I can assemble a pedal bored after I know what I like and what I'll use. If for some reason I don't like it, I can always take it back I guess.
I decided to put the purchase off until Monday. I am still debating pretty hard about just getting pedals...so...confused...
I vote Vox ToneLab /TL-SE
Only one I've ever played with, and I loved it.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
I vote Vox ToneLab /TL-SE
Only one I've ever played with, and I loved it.

I didn't even think about that one man. I assume it's a pretty good unit? I'll give that a listen Monday too. I'm really fond of the Boss though, and I know it's nothing spectacular or anything but I think it would be fun to play with and take a lot of time learing. Thanks for the Vox tip though.
Try ME-50. Its Great! Delivers nice tone, easy to use and easy to set up. But if you need a cheaper one Try the korg one. AX3000G. I've heard a lot of good news bout that unit but dunno which is true.
i've heard good things about the pod
squier starter amp
squier bullet strat
epiphone les paul custom elitist with duncans
blackheart handsome devil
peavey vyper

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.