Hi, I have been searching for a new half stack for a while. Out of all I have tried, I like the Mesa Boogie Triple Rec, Peavey 6505 + and the EVH 5150 III.

The Guitar Shop dropped the price of the EVH 5150 III to $2800. I love the amp. Had awesome cleans and...as you people would say - the distortion was "br00tal".

Is it worth it to get this half stack? Would you people do? Or should I just spend $1800 and get the Peavey 6505 + half stack?

THANKS.

btw this is Canadian dollars
That is a great amp man. $2,800 is a good price too. You need to ask yourself something first though. Are the fender cleans of that amp worth $1,000 to you above the price of the 6505+? If your answer is yes, get it. If not, save the money. You could buy the 6505+ and get a good chorus pedal and have darn near the same exact amp.
if you have enough cash, id go with the EVH, dam, that is a sweet amp.
I would say it all depends on your financial situation
Any of your choices are very nice, the Mesa's are sweet too
Quote by the.spine.surfs
At that price point, you need to play amps 'till your pants fall off. We won't be of much help.

Agreed. I simply can't swallow an extra $1,000 for Fender cleans. You could get a 6505+ and buy another guitar or lots of other goodies instead. I'm really not a big fan of "signature series" anything either. Although a EVH amp in an exception I'd probably make.
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with it. I'll try it out once more though, and see. WILL UPDATE YOU GUYS ON WHAT I TAKE.
I would defeintly take the 5150. Not because I'm a Ed Head, but it seriously is a good amp. It's extremely easy to get great tone from it. And for $2800, I would take it. It's usually around $3,300.
An idea could be to get a 6505+ then get a Peavey Classic 50 for clean stuff and just A/B them. $2800 should be just enough for that I'd have thought.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Agreed. I simply can't swallow an extra $1,000 for Fender cleans. You could get a 6505+ and buy another guitar or lots of other goodies instead. I'm really not a big fan of "signature series" anything either. Although a EVH amp in an exception I'd probably make.

....You do realise that the 5150s/6505s are EVH signature amps?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yes, I do. But the 6505 and + don't have his name written all over it, and I think the 5150 and II only has his autograph in one place on it. Bascially, I don't feel like being a billboard for anybody @ my expense.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Yes, I do. But the 6505 and + don't have his name written all over it, and I think the 5150 and II only has his autograph in one place on it. Bascially, I don't feel like being a billboard for anybody @ my expense.

Sorry have to say it...

But doesnt Bugera have one of the biggest logo's on the market and its done in signature font as well... No matter what you get your a billboard
Quote by timi_hendrix
"Marshall MG10KK"

I was just thinking that after I posted my response. I just actually got that amp yesterday from a kid up the street who bought the thing and ended up getting a bigger Spider III (sad, I know) . He said give me $50 bucks for it. I was like hmmm...ok. For $50 it doesn't sound bad @ all. Really good contourable distortion and a not bad clean for practice. It'll work. But no, I wouldn't GO to the store and buy that. Did I defend myself good enough?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I was just thinking that after I posted my response. I just actually got that amp yesterday from a kid up the street who bought the thing and ended up getting a bigger Spider III (sad, I know) . He said give me $50 bucks for it. I was like hmmm...ok. For $50 it doesn't sound bad @ all. Really good contourable distortion and a not bad clean for practice. It'll work. But no, I wouldn't GO to the store and buy that. Did I defend myself good enough?

I was joking mate, I know exactly how you feel about signature gear with somebody's name all over it
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I was joking mate, I know exactly how you feel about signature gear with somebody's name all over it

I knew you were joking. I got a laugh out of it.
I'm glad you understood what I meant. I can't stand seeing kids playing those damn Dimebag (no disrespect) Deans all over the place...Ugh.
meh, I could care less about stuff having a sig or not. Often it has extra features that the regular series doesn't have, and if it's got the features/sound I want, I could care less who's name is on it. When it comes down to it, tons of gear has somebody's signature, whether it's Les Paul, Leo Fender, Reinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, Mike Soldano, Scott Splawn, John Suhr, Grover Jackson, etc...
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 9, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
meh, I could care less about stuff having a sig or not. Often it has extra features that the regular series doesn't have, and if it's got the features/sound I want, I could care less who's name is on it. When it comes down to it, tons of gear has somebody's signature, whether it's Les Paul, Leo Fender, Reinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, Mike Soldano, Scott Splawn, John Suhr, Grover Jackson, etc...

+1

My thoughts exactly
You guys obviously haven't played the 5150 III, it's not just a better clean channel.

The 1st distortion channel is great for dirty blues all the way up to 80s metal, the 2nd is all out metal or a really nice lead for other genres. The gain is crisp, defined and not muddy at all (like its Peavey "counterparts"). Plus, the cleans are amazing.

That being said, there's a lot of other amps I'd be looking at if I was going to pay $2800 for an amp, I know you can get them pretty cheap used too (for that expensive of an amp), I wouldn't buy one new, but then I wouldn't buy any amp new unless I got a smokin deal on it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You guys obviously haven't played the 5150 III, it's not just a better clean channel.

The 1st distortion channel is great for dirty blues all the way up to 80s metal, the 2nd is all out metal or a really nice lead for other genres. The gain is crisp, defined and not muddy at all (like its Peavey "counterparts"). Plus, the cleans are amazing.

That being said, there's a lot of other amps I'd be looking at if I was going to pay $2800 for an amp, I know you can get them pretty cheap used too (for that expensive of an amp), I wouldn't buy one new, but then I wouldn't buy any amp new unless I got a smokin deal on it.

I've played it for a good bit of time and aggree with ya 100%. Plus its all weights and balances at that price range... Its like man this is cool but for 2800 man i could get this or that...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1

My thoughts exactly

and +1 on the used prices, I've seen several heads go for $1200-1300USD in used but mint condition.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

and +1 on the used prices, I've seen several heads go for $1200-1300USD in used but mint condition.

Eric, have you gotten to play a 5150 III? I heard one once for a short demo, & it sounded pretty dang nice. Like MatrixClaw said, it seemed more articulate than the Peavey ones I've heard, but I didn't get to hear it enough or get to play it. I want to find one to try, in case it has a different tone than my amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Eric, have you gotten to play a 5150 III? I heard one once for a short demo, & it sounded pretty dang nice. Like MatrixClaw said, it seemed more articulate than the Peavey ones I've heard, but I didn't get to hear it enough or get to play it. I want to find one to try, in case it has a different tone than my amp.

same here, just demos, haven't gotten to try one in person. It sounded great though. I heard there was some issues with the stock pre tubes that made them very inconsistent when they first hit the market, but I guess they resolved it. The one I heard sounded really good, but it was no SLO or Mojave man
amp clips
amp vids
If you like great cleans and a smoking overdrive you got to listen to the rivera knucklehead tre. I have been a twin player for a long time but was looking for a two channel. Two months of playing everything and this amp was at the top. Check it out.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I could put money on the 5153 being built like a tank in comparison to the Peavey's which are relatively poor as far as quality of parts being used.

You might want to consider a Soldano if you're going after an EVH tone. He used Soldanos and Marshalls ( I do believe) for the greater part of his career.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by modernp
If you like great cleans and a smoking overdrive you got to listen to the rivera knucklehead tre. I have been a twin player for a long time but was looking for a two channel. Two months of playing everything and this amp was at the top. Check it out.

I would love to know more about your Knucklehead. I've never heard a Rivera that didn't sound awesome. I might have even heard the Knucklehead before but wouldn't have known it at the time. Is it a combo amp? what tubes are in it? of course...does it do metal? How's the cleans?

EDIT: Just Googled it. WoW . I would love to hear it...
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 10, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer
I could put money on the 5153 being built like a tank in comparison to the Peavey's which are relatively poor as far as quality of parts being used.

You might want to consider a Soldano if you're going after an EVH tone. He used Soldanos and Marshalls ( I do believe) for the greater part of his career.

Quality of parts low? I'm sorry, thats just not true. They are extremely sturdy amps. Mine's older than me and the only problem I ever had was a dirty input. Sounds pretty reliable to me.

As for the TS.. I definitely say look at the Rivera K-Tre/Knucklehead or Mako Mak2 if you don't wanna spend as much for the EVH 5150 III. Both have incredible clean and gain channels. The III would be more versatile but if you only need the cleans, then I recommend the other amps. Or if the cleans aren't important at all, then just get a 6505 or 6505+. I mean for $2,800 you are looking at a big table of amps. The Mesa Boogie Mark IV will also do just about whatever you throw at it. You should be looking into what amp has the features you want, then go for the best tone out of those.
Quote by rwalby9
Quality of parts low? I'm sorry, thats just not true. They are extremely sturdy amps. Mine's older than me and the only problem I ever had was a dirty input. Sounds pretty reliable to me.

Reliability and quality are two different things. Look inside a Peavey, PCB, small caps, cheap parts. They stay in place and last a while but htey could do better, but it would raise the price.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The only reason the 6505 doesn't have EVH's name on it is because he left Peavey. Its basically the exact same amp, but with a few minor updates (they need to add the friggin bias control so gear hackers don't need to DIY. Peavey was smart by only contracting the name to EVH and not the circuit
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I would love to know more about your Knucklehead. I've never heard a Rivera that didn't sound awesome. I might have even heard the Knucklehead before but wouldn't have known it at the time. Is it a combo amp? what tubes are in it? of course...does it do metal? How's the cleans?

EDIT: Just Googled it. WoW . I would love to hear it...

The tre I bought is the head pushing a mesa 212 with vintage 30's
The cleans are exceptional really blows both the twins out of the water.
Huge bottom end. The gain side can go from mild blues overdrive to over the top in your face distortion. Like I said I played everything for 2 months. Off the shelf boutique, used new and this one stood heads above everything else. For the money its a steal. It use el34 for power.Great amp
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
The tre I bought is the head pushing a mesa 212 with vintage 30's
The cleans are exceptional really blows both the twins out of the water.
Huge bottom end. The gain side can go from mild blues overdrive to over the top in your face distortion. Like I said I played everything for 2 months. Off the shelf boutique, used new and this one stood heads above everything else. For the money its a steal. It use el34 for power.Great amp

Total tonal sweetness. I would love to have that amp. I have never heard one disparaging word about Rivera's EVER. People who use them, always swear by them and love them. One day, when I have more cash and get a little better playing, it will be one of the first amps I will consider. For now, I have a newbie rig. But that's ok. I had to start somewhere and @ least is doesn't break my heart to play through it. Someday my friend, someday...
MatrixClaw is exactly right
i tried the 5150 III a couple weeks ago
its like a 5150 but 3 times better on each channel
if you have the money, get the 5150 III
its so worth it, the lead channel is much tighter and less fizzy than a 6505 and it beats it by a mile.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
There is one thing i didnt like about it though is it is much tighter and less fizzy when comparing it to the 6505... Its not as raw which is why most people love the 6505 and it's missing some of that low end the 6505 has. To some that is a good thing but to others that is a bad thing. If someone is looking for the honest to goodness 6505 i wouldnt steer them in the 5150III direction. Its a great amp and love it but there is no replacement for someone looking for there 6505 fix...
For the price of the EVH you could buy a 6505 and another amp w/ really good cleans along w/ one of those ab/y pedals.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead