I never really gave a whole lot of thought to my case before - someone was always driving to a gig, so a crappy hardcase was enough to keep it safe in the trunk. (I have something like this )

But since I actually have to put one to the test, I was wondering if anyone has come across a particularly good case, with a big "accessories" compartment? I like the style of the case I have now, where the storage area exists between the head and body of the bass, but does anyone know if there's a style with a bigger storage area?

Anyone ever seen a Black Kross Skullplate case? I normally dont go down for the whole goth/skull schtick even when playing in metal bands, but that thing looks pretty solid. Only they dont show you the inside...

Thanks for any feedback!
that metal case looks like it is built solid. also a big selling is it states it has an extra large storage compartment. (meaning this case will be alot bigger than normal. But what is extra size to a bass case when it is already huge right?)

i have an SKB Hard case and it has been solid to me for 2.5 years. it's hasent been dropped from very far before but it has been down two or or three flights of stairs (slideing and slight bumps not head over heels, THANK GOD!)and my bass has been perfectly okay afterwords.
i would definently recomend it.

the other one seems to be more "Deluxe" it will be bigger heavyer. (regular cases are ALREADY pretty heavy i might add) so if size or weight or cost. is an issue i wouldent recomend it other than that i would say go for it. it looks classy and looks like A+ protection
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
http://www.ritter-basses-shop.com/shop_detail.php?gruppe=Bass%20Accessories&sid=e682dab45ea0a7824b49c6830c04a832&detail=48

I have heard very good things about this case. Granted this isn't your traditional hardshell case but it'll definitely protect your bass without weighing too much.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

i like my warwick rock case: flight case the thing is built like a brick and really strong
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
The SKB looks nice, but i really wanted a compartment big enough to fit a DI box, cables, ect. in so I would only have to worry about one case being carried around trains and taxi's and such.

Has anyone seen how big/the style of the Skullcase compartment? I know it says extra large storage compartment, but my Carvin case made a similar fuss about "large compartment" and it was half the size of another case I had!

Is the Ritter case a hardcase with some fabric over top, or just a soft shell? I'd like it to be strong enough to take a few falls, or be ridden down a flight a stairs in a daring escape, Bourne-identity style. You know, just in case.
Quote by Duff_Holiday
The SKB looks nice, but i really wanted a compartment big enough to fit a DI box, cables, ect. in so I would only have to worry about one case being carried around trains and taxi's and such.

Has anyone seen how big/the style of the Skullcase compartment? I know it says extra large storage compartment, but my Carvin case made a similar fuss about "large compartment" and it was half the size of another case I had!

Is the Ritter case a hardcase with some fabric over top, or just a soft shell? I'd like it to be strong enough to take a few falls, or be ridden down a flight a stairs in a daring escape, Bourne-identity style. You know, just in case.

For that, the Ritter is the opposite of what you want. It's a soft shell with a frame in it, so it's rigid. I'd definitely go with an SKB, I've had one for years now and it's given me nothing but class A protection. About the compartment, depending on the size of your DI box, you shouldn't have a problem. I put two 20-foot cables in mine, a pedal, my strap, and a few CD's in their cases. It fits, but barely. For your needs, it's exactly what you want. I only have the lower end, "Freedom Series" case, but it works! The higher end ones are practically bullet-proof, I'd get one in a heartbeat.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I built my own case out of a sheet of plywood and scraps and it's pretty sturdy. I still need to stain it and clear coat it though.
I carry all of my cables and stuff in a tackle box.
Last edited by matt-attack at May 12, 2008,
Quote by matt-attack
I built my own case out of a sheet of plywood and scraps and it's pretty sturdy.
I still need to stain it and clear coat it though.

paint a monkey on it before you clear coat. serious.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by matt-attack
I built my own case out of a sheet of plywood and scraps and it's pretty sturdy. I still need to stain it and clear coat it though.
I carry all of my cables and stuff in a tackle box.

Wow, dude, thats Ghetto as hell! But, I personally prefere the old beat up leather cases you find at music shops for like ten bucks. Or a dumpster.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
SKB's are my favorite cases. i'm currently using a Gator softside, but that's just for local "to the gig and back" travel, in personal transportation. it has an outside pouch for cables and things, but i don't recommend a softside for trains and buses. i'd get a solid case, and carry your accessories in a briefcase, or a small suitcase, or backpack. i use a laptop computer case, and it works well.