hey guys my buddy asked me to make a thread to help him choose a good bass for him to play. He'll be playing alot of rock, nothing metal or anything. His price range is 400 bucks top but has room for adjustments. Hes currnet looking at the Ibanez SR 300 but is undecided since its going to be his first bass. so if you guys could help out in anyway, that would be great.
For my first bass, many people told me to buy a cheap one now, and a quality one later.
I went against their advice and started looking for a quality bass from the start.

I ran a few ideas past a bass playing friend of mine, and he highly reccommended the Yamaha BB414. I got one, and it was not expensive at all.
Cost me two hundred pounds, plays like a 700 pound bass.

It has an awesome tone that I've used for hard rock, heavy metal, pop, blues and accompanying acoustic guitars. It's so versatile, and the jazz pick up by the bridge has an immensely punchy tone.
To quote a soundguy from one of my rock gigs "Mate I'm gonna have to turn your bass down 'cause my head gon' explode."

Which is obviously a good thing.

Plus it has great playability, and to repeat myself, it's expensive bass quality, for cheap bass price. I can't do it justice, so I'll point you to http://www.bassplayer.com/article/yamaha-bb414-bb614/may-05/8554 which is a very informative article on the bass.

Since buying it, I've played a lot of other basses, some cheaper, some far more expensive, and the only bass that really impressed me was a £3000 custom Warwick, and there is no shame in being beaten by the best.

If you can't afford Warwick (no-one can, they're madmen all of them) get the B414!

Only real draw back is the weight. It's a very heavy instrument, which of course is a good thing as far as sound is, but it can take a while to get used to.
The bass has a large body which, in my opinion, only looks good in red.

I think I've gone on long enough now, good luck to your friend!

Rob
Squier Vintage Modifed maybe? People say some stuff about the Tbird so he might want to try one somewhere. Maybe a Mex Fender P used?
Quote by alidunwoodie
epiphone thunderbird! i got one and love it to bits, gr8 tone for rock!

Just... no.

Ibanez and Squire are highly regarded starter bass manufacturers. Definately take a look at the Squire VM series.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
thanks guys. ill tell him what you all told and ill give you his input on this.
Quote by ealtdharkon
For my first bass, many people told me to buy a cheap one now, and a quality one later.
I went against their advice and started looking for a quality bass from the start.

I ran a few ideas past a bass playing friend of mine, and he highly reccommended the Yamaha BB414. I got one, and it was not expensive at all.
Cost me two hundred pounds, plays like a 700 pound bass.

It has an awesome tone that I've used for hard rock, heavy metal, pop, blues and accompanying acoustic guitars. It's so versatile, and the jazz pick up by the bridge has an immensely punchy tone.
To quote a soundguy from one of my rock gigs "Mate I'm gonna have to turn your bass down 'cause my head gon' explode."

Which is obviously a good thing.

Plus it has great playability, and to repeat myself, it's expensive bass quality, for cheap bass price. I can't do it justice, so I'll point you to http://www.bassplayer.com/article/yamaha-bb414-bb614/may-05/8554 which is a very informative article on the bass.

Since buying it, I've played a lot of other basses, some cheaper, some far more expensive, and the only bass that really impressed me was a £3000 custom Warwick, and there is no shame in being beaten by the best.

If you can't afford Warwick (no-one can, they're madmen all of them) get the B414!

Only real draw back is the weight. It's a very heavy instrument, which of course is a good thing as far as sound is, but it can take a while to get used to.
The bass has a large body which, in my opinion, only looks good in red.

I think I've gone on long enough now, good luck to your friend!

Rob

I can afford them and I must say the are GREAT basses, I have to warwicks and I can deal with the weight. I am pretty damn thin, some people that see me from the back sometimes thinks I am a chick.
Quote by watchingmefall

I can afford them and I must say the are GREAT basses, I have to warwicks and I can deal with the weight. I am pretty damn thin, some people that see me from the back sometimes thinks I am a chick.

The lower end Warwicks aren't all that pricy, and are made to the same quality as they higher end ones. The price difference is in the economies of scale and all the little time consuming extra.

I am also very skinny (65kg at 6'5") and I play a bubinga bodies Warwick, and Bubinga is heavy. A comfy strap makes all but the heavies basses easy to carry.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have a squire currently (started 7 months ago) and it has provided most of what i need up until now.

The way I always look at it, if the instrument has something on it that you don't know what it is for, or the benifit from it (like an 5 or 6 string bass) then don't buy it.
~Insert Signature Here~
I can't stand cheap basses.
The cheapest i can take is a fender standard.

If your friend wanted to spend a little more money he would get a used Warwick.
I got my Fortress One for 550$ used.
It's a truly awesome bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez!

Cannot be beaten on low to mid range basses. Tell your friend to try the SR300 some more, along with the SRX350 (great starter bass if you want some serious pissed off growl) and any Ergodynes he can get his mits on.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
I'm convinced the Squier VM series is a blessing from the powers that be upon anyone wanting to pick up the instrument or anyone just too strapped to afford much.

Yamaha BB's and RBX's are good investments also. Not a fan of Ibanez, but anything above a GSR200 will be pretty sturdy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by TANKER69
there are lots of nice cheap LTD's around

And there's a reason for that. Sorry I'm just not a fan of those. They play and feel cheap.

VM series Squiers are really nice and suprisingly well made. Definitely good return for the buck. Ibanez' are solid above the starter packs, but many people don't care for the thin fast necks. I've tried a few decent used Yamaha's in that range.

My advice, take what has been said here in the thread and go with your bud to a music store and try everything in the line of the budgeted price.
thanks guys. ill try to beat him till he makes up his mind lol. Ill let you guys know what he ends up getting