What is a 4th, an 8th, and a 16th? I have a good idea but I'm not sure. I saw something about 4/16, 4/4, and other ones too. It'd be nice to have an explanation for these.
Another one, in your opinion whats some good exercises a beginner guitarist can play? I think the first 3 minutes of sweet child o mine is still beginner but again, I'm not sure so.. Whatever you think will help me. Ideally some tips on speed and accuracy. I can go around 170 bpm but I want to be better and its been a while since I've gone up.
Lead Guitarist sort-Into GNR sort of music and Metal
Playing since November, 2007

AC/DC "For those about to rock, we salute you"
are you talking about notes? like quarter notes and eighth notes?

if so, a quarter note is a quarter of a measure or just one beat. so if you're playing in 4/4 time signature that would be 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4

eighth notes are 8 notes per measure. so it goes twice as fast as quarter notes.

etc
The 4th, 8th 16th stuff are different time values for notes. for example, if you're playing in 4/4 time, you'll have 4 beats per measure, so you could have a whole note, two halve notes, 4 quarter notes, 8 eighth notes, etc. or a combination of those that add up to 4 beats, (a half note and two quarter notes). so generally speaking, a whole note gets 4 beats, a half note gets two beats, a quater note gets one beat, etc. as for excercises, scales, man. I know the're not fun, but play scales over and over and over and... you get the point. and play them REALLY slowly too, really focusing on your technique, and then slowly work your way up to higher speeds. you'll be able to play faster overall.
4/quarter = crotchet (You need 4 of these to make up a 4/4 bar)
8/eighth = quaver (You need 8 of these to make up a 4/4 bar)
16/sixteenth = semi-quaver (You need 16 of these to make up a 4/4 bar)
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.